ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

broken glass in a/c vents

Old 02-15-14, 03:31 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken glass in a/c vents

Clearly at some stage in a previous life, with a previous owner my car had it's front windscreen smashed & replaced...

Whoever installed the replacement windscreen did a real amateur job, fortunately I got a stone chip in the "critical vision area" so insurance paid to replace it and I got the job done properly.

I've found auto glass all over the car and got rid of it, but since replacing the blower motor and getting the heater / a/c going I've discovered there is glass all through the a/c vents....

It sort of sounds like there is large rodents running around the vents when I have it blowing on full (only setting it works on for now). It sounds worst when I turn it on, & going round corners, and under breaking or acceleration (basically anything that moves the glass in the vents)

It seems that the worst of it is in the vents for defogging the front windscreen.... I've got some out of the vents that blow face level, but I'm not really sure how to get it out of the windscreen vents (aside from pulling the entire dash apart to get to the vents)

The a/c isn't quite blowing enough to blow it right out, I doubt a vacuum cleaner will work (tho I could try one of those industrial ones at the gas station)

Anyone got any bright ideas on how I might get the glass out without having to rip the dash apart? or perhaps there is a simple way of doing it that simply hasn't occurred to me??
Old 02-15-14, 08:01 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I wonder if a shopvac exhaust would be able to blow out the crud. Remove the cabin filter and blow through the vents for a reverse flow. Maybe it will be strong enough to push it out.
Where did you buy this car?
Old 02-15-14, 08:12 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I wonder if a shopvac exhaust would be able to blow out the crud. Remove the cabin filter and blow through the vents for a reverse flow. Maybe it will be strong enough to push it out.
Where did you buy this car?

You could be right about blowing the glass out in reverse... It probably can't do any harm to try!
Perhaps I'll go down to the service station and use the big industrial vacuum, I'll try sucking the glass out first, then (assuming their vacuum can reverse) blow it out the other way (hopefully it will land in the cabin filter area....)

Anyone see any potential problems trying that??

I got the car in a straight swap for my 1992 Nissan Skyline Gts-t with blown gearbox which had been sitting garaged for 8 years... Very sad to let the Skyline go but I didn't see myself fixing it any time soon so it had to go... So broken car for working car with some over all minor issues, not a bad deal really...

I like 90's cars... I think the best cars were made in the 90's!!!! (and maybe first few years of the 2000s) They might not have some of the fancy gadgets but if you want them they can be retro fitted with them... Just my personal feelings....