Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES300 and ES330
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

additive + regular fuel vs premium gas?

Old 12-18-13, 04:19 PM   #1
dlamb89
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default additive + regular fuel vs premium gas?

As stated in the title, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? For example: performance, fuel efficiency, speed of engine wear etc
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
dlamb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 04:52 PM   #2
moonphase
Driver

Premium fuel pros for es300- none, cons- thinner wallet. 87 octane pros for es300- more money to spend on other things and the car should run fine, cons- if the motor develops pinging you should go for higher octane fuel. Fuel additives as in a quality injector cleaner added to the tank need to be used only every 3,000 miles. Do not buy the cheap cleaner that is supposed to be used every tank full, as you are only wasting your money. Berryman's brand is a good quality injector cleaner to use every 3,000 miles.
moonphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:12 PM   #3
speedkar9
Lead Lap

I found a measurable improvement in gas mileage with premium, but didn't notice anything with fuel injector cleaner in the gas.

IMO for the 1MZ/3MZ Toyota engines, put the extra $10 per tank on synthetic oil rather than premium gas.

Youtube DIY Videos: www.youtube.com/user/speedkar99

speedkar9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:47 PM   #4
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal
Thumbs down

I really don't understand why there must be a new thread every week on what octane gas to use.
Old 12-18-13, 09:08 PM   #5
dlamb89
Rookie

It wasn't on what octane gas to use, it was comparing the benefits or negatives of premium vs regular WITH the additive. I searched for a thread like this, there was none.

Nonetheless, thanks for the replies.
dlamb89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 06:25 AM   #6
msekanha
Pole Position

How about premium gas WITH fuel additives.

Now the grass is greener on both sides.
msekanha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 06:25 AM   #7
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamb89 View Post
It wasn't on what octane gas to use, it was comparing the benefits or negatives of premium vs regular WITH the additive. I searched for a thread like this, there was none.

Nonetheless, thanks for the replies.
There is in fact many threads which mention the use of an additive (octane booster, fuel injector cleaner , etc). You did not look close enough.

You also did not need to create a new thread, if you honestly believed no thread mentioned additives (which they do) you could simply added a post to one of the billion threads on this subject and asked the simple question of would additives take the place of running high octane gas.

But I digress, apparently no one cares about trying to keep the forum organized and easy to find relevant information.
Old 12-19-13, 11:03 AM   #8
ubtripn
Driver School Candidate

I am just a newbie to this forum but I have to say, I look hard and do searches before I ask my question but people should not be afraid to ask something - even if it has been asked before. It is a "discussion" forum after all. If it is indeed a topic someone has already read about then why click on it to read it? Just my 2 cents.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-13, 02:29 PM   #9
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubtripn View Post
I am just a newbie to this forum but I have to say, I look hard and do searches before I ask my question but people should not be afraid to ask something - even if it has been asked before. It is a "discussion" forum after all. If it is indeed a topic someone has already read about then why click on it to read it? Just my 2 cents.
The problem is not with asking a question, please don't let me discourage you from that.

The issue is with creating multiple (i.e hundreds) of threads on the same topic. If you have a comment please reply to the old thread. This way when someone goes to search all of the information they need is in one thread.

If there is 10 billion threads on one thing, it's going to be incredibly difficult to filter out the junk from the actual threads that have real information.
Old 12-20-13, 08:16 AM   #10
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlamb89 View Post
As stated in the title, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? For example: performance, fuel efficiency, speed of engine wear etc
If you're putting the additives in regular fuel just in order to increase octane, you'd come out cheaper buying premium fuel instead. If you're using it as a fuel system cleaner, then occasional use will be sufficient, especially if you're using name brand fuel.

As for any performance or fuel efficiency increases, I've found very little improvement in either from using premium in any of my three ES's, a 97, a 2000, and a 2004. My suggestion is check it out for yourself, just try to be objective and compare apples to apples and don't make any generalizations from one or two tanks. Things like engine smoothness and pickup are subjective and can be influenced by your expectations of what you think it should be. If your mileage isn't affected then you can assume that normal performance isn't going to be affected either. Unless there is obvious knock then you're not going to hurt anything by using regular, and testing it yourself is only going to cost you a few bucks a tank.

There is no reason for fuel additives to have any significant effect on engine wear.
285exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 09:28 AM   #11
PFB
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 285exp View Post

There is no reason for fuel additives to have any significant effect on engine wear.

Actually, too much fuel additives, or the wrong additive, (such as octane boosters for example) can Severly damage the Catalytic converter.

Last edited by PFB; 12-20-13 at 09:39 AM..
PFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-13, 09:28 AM