ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Diagnosing starting problems 1992 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-13, 03:35 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing starting problems 1992 ES300

Hi...

Car is 1992 Toyota Windom (so an ES300).
Haven't had it long had been going fine.

Went to start it and it won't start. Doesn't try and turnover at all. No rapid clicking like my Nissan Skyline used to do when the battery was dead or dying,
Really the only sound is from the starter motor. At a guess too me it sounds like the magnetic switch engaging and disengaging but it could be something else....
There is electric power to the dashboard lights, accessories and lights etc.
I also noticed a little liquid coming out from the cells on the battery (it's a never service type) when trying to start the car....

I've also tried jump starting it with help from a friends car and also no luck..+

I know it's hard going off a vague description written by me on the internet but it's best I can do at the mo....So I'm not expecting a magic answer but some help would be appreciated! Should I be replacing the starter? Battery? Previous owner got rid of the ciggy lighter so I can't plug my volt meter to see what's happening there.

I might also look at replacing the battery terminal connectors.
Old 12-16-13, 08:30 PM
SilverES06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
Hi...

Car is 1992 Toyota Windom (so an ES300).
Haven't had it long had been going fine.

Went to start it and it won't start. Doesn't try and turnover at all. No rapid clicking like my Nissan Skyline used to do when the battery was dead or dying,
Really the only sound is from the starter motor. At a guess too me it sounds like the magnetic switch engaging and disengaging but it could be something else....
There is electric power to the dashboard lights, accessories and lights etc.
I also noticed a little liquid coming out from the cells on the battery (it's a never service type) when trying to start the car....

I've also tried jump starting it with help from a friends car and also no luck..+

I know it's hard going off a vague description written by me on the internet but it's best I can do at the mo....So I'm not expecting a magic answer but some help would be appreciated! Should I be replacing the starter? Battery? Previous owner got rid of the ciggy lighter so I can't plug my volt meter to see what's happening there.

I might also look at replacing the battery terminal connectors.
A friend of mine had the same issue with her 1996 ES300. When the ignition was turned on, all the dashboard lights came on and everything worked, but the car wouldn't turn over or try to start.

It turned out to be the factory anti-theft system. Try closing all the doors and then locking and unlocking the car with the key, and then try to start it. Not sure if this will solve your problem, but worth a try at least.

If that doesn't work, then it sounds like the starter might be your culprit.

Last edited by SilverES06; 12-16-13 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 09:57 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Thanks for your reply, since the problem started I think I've only tried starting it with the door open every time...
Do the 1992 models have an anti-theft system? Mine has keyless entry but I've never used it as the button is missing from the key...

I've purchased new battery terminals as the old ones were pretty worn, I'll take to the posts etc with a wire brush in hope that might be it.

If I can hear the starter going click wait half a second click is that a sign of anything good or bad???
Old 12-17-13, 07:45 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I perhaps should have mentioned a few weeks back occasionally I'd get in the car and it seemed like the battery had gone flat, or after I'd been for a drive I'd get home turn the car off, come back to it 2 or 3 mins later try and turn it on and wouldn't start or try to turn over, but I think it was more likely a bad connection loose wire or something of the sort. I'd get out and walk away, or pop the hood and inspect the battery perhaps moving it, sometimes I'd just sit on the hood and curse and swear. Then I'd get back in and it would often start and be fine for a few day, or however long it took to happen again.

Last edited by gtstcactus; 12-17-13 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 01:02 AM
MikePA
Rookie

How many posts are you going to make about your battery issues?
Old 12-18-13, 03:23 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

This post might mention the battery but is not necessarily the main issue at hand in this post the inability to start is. It may be the starter..... The car was starting previously with the battery leaking a little fluid, so I'm not sure that is the cause of the starting problem. The main issue is yet to be revealed, hopefully I'll find out tomorrow. As for the other 2 posts 1 was about MY battery, the other was about how many CCA a 2nd gen ES requires which know one seems to be offering up at this stage....
So the answer to your question is 1 post specifically about my battery issue.
Old 12-18-13, 08:34 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Ok I've got a new battery.... I also got some new terminals to put on... (exactly the same as the ones I'm replacing)

When removing the old terminals I noticed on the positive wire a less than ideal arrangement.... To be honest I'm not even sure I can see how to put them back together.
The reason being is at the end of the cable where there are connector bits there was a bit of copper which was nearly broken off which now is broken off which was secured by the old terminal. (might explain a few things...???)

When replacing the terminals is it also a good idea to replace the bits at the end of the cables which connect with the terminals? I'm thinking so as they look tired... It's not a difficult job it is??
I'm not very confident when it comes to electricity and can't really afford to short every bit of electronics in the car, but I can't afford to pay a professional at the moment either...

The terminals I've got are the same as the ones pictured in this link - http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onli...menuFrom=40605

So no soldering required but it just seems like a strange fit for the connectors on the cables...
Should be such a simple task, it makes me feel so stupid!
Old 12-18-13, 08:47 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You should have gotten the original Lexus terminals from the Lexus/Toyota dealer.

They're around $16.00 each, and are sure to fit properly. With the right tools, it takes about 5-10 minutes each to change.

Last edited by PFB; 12-18-13 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 10:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by gtstcactus
The terminals I've got are the same as the ones pictured in this link - http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/onli...menuFrom=40605
Complete crap, get genuine as suggested.
Old 12-18-13, 10:53 PM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

well they are identical to the ones that were already there and likely the original terminals.

I also never said I got those terminals I said they are the same as the ones pictured..... by that I mean same design. So saying they are crap is well as you put it crap.

Brass is brass right? Can someone tell me whats wrong with them? I'd love to know how lexus/toyotas brass is better than anyone elses brass. Does lexus make them out of gold or platinum because lexus buyers can afford such things?

The issue with installing them is the wiring which someone has screwed with probably when putting a new stereo in and some other bits, they did a shoddy job.

After watching a couple of vids on the net, I'm pretty sure it will be a 5-10 minute job for the terminals I got also, so again I see no advantage paying the lexus premium/
Old 12-18-13, 11:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

The design of the Lexus terminals are vastly superior in both the way it connects to the wire, and how it clamps to the battery.
Old 12-19-13, 02:20 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

I'd love to see a photo or illustration showing how the lexus magic works...

Anyway it's a Windom I've got so perhaps it was never treated to such wonders
Old 12-19-13, 02:28 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Are these what your talking about??

Were these used on 1992 models? Were they used on Windoms?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/TOYOTA-OEM-90...FSpcV6/$_3.JPG

I'm not very good with electricity, hooking up cables etc.... lol I can barely even see how these work I get the loop over the post.... and the cable must be fastend under the screw but the way the cables are on mine I think it would require more than just putting these terminals on, something would have to be altered with the wires are there was something left on the end of them, perhaps they screw into this termianl???

Last edited by gtstcactus; 12-19-13 at 02:42 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 12-20-13, 12:03 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

Combination of replacement battery and the "crappy" terminals I got seemed to have done the trick just nicely....

Car starts first time every time now!

Now I've got to do the rear shocks, tires, 1 hood strut / support.

Also need to work out why the damn wing mirrors have stopped folding in & out... After I got it started I folded the mirrors in by pressing the button, drove out of the garage, pressed the button and the folded out, drove across town to my place pressed the button to fold them in and nothing happens! I did turn on the mirror heater briefly (i assume that's what the button with the picture of a mirror and 3 drops is), then when i try folding them in nothing!!!

I'm starting to feel the car has a curse
Old 12-20-13, 02:13 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was unaware the Windom came with folding mirrors. Had you disconnected the battery at all during that time? I'd assume its like any motor, after being disconnected from the battery the motor might need to "relearn" automatic folding. That would be my guess.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing starting problems 1992 ES300