ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Any Advice for a "Newbie" Lexus Owner?

Old 12-16-13, 12:34 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Any Advice for a "Newbie" Lexus Owner?

Hi!
Newbie "TJams" here.
Just purchased a 2002 ES 300 today. YEAH BABY!
Looking for ANY wisdom you have regarding the car as this is the first Lex I've owned.
Also, what was the first thing you did when you got yours?
Old 12-16-13, 12:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

First thing I did when i got mine... Drive it.

Oh and fill up the tank! lol
Old 12-16-13, 01:08 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Hi Hypervish,
Thanks for the welcome.

Drive it? Hell no! I'm just gonna let it sit in all it's glory!
Old 12-16-13, 01:50 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't ask stupid questions theta have been covered 463829 times on this board...
Old 12-16-13, 02:13 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

And a warm welcome to you, too 01LEXPL! Fat fingers today?

1) To be such a smart a** you should learn how to spell or use the spell check feature that is conveniently located in the upper right-hand corner of the reply box; and

2) You have the option not to read (or respond to) a thread that's been covered 463,829 on this board.
Old 12-16-13, 03:13 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

Hi TJams: I have owned my 2002 ES (Millenium Silver) for a year now. I love this car, and have named her "Lola," from the old song, "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets..." But the first thing you want to do, after washing and waxing the car, is to check whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. These are "must do" items at 90K, but in any case by the time the car is eleven years old! I'd change all fluids too, and get a 4-wheel alignment. By the way, I have most service performed at my local Toyota dealership. They are more than happy to service my car, after all an ES is really just an upgraded Camry V6, and they are a lot cheaper too! I take my own jugs of Mobil 1 (from Costco on sale) to them when I get an oil change.
You will find lots of helpful and friendly advice on this forum.
Regards- Richard W. in Northern California
Old 12-16-13, 03:34 PM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

TJams

Make sure you do all routine service as soon as you .

Oil change, filter, coolant, trans fluid, etc.

Welcome, you will love the ES.
Old 12-16-13, 04:16 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toytrain13
Hi TJams: I have owned my 2002 ES (Millenium Silver) for a year now. I love this car, and have named her "Lola," from the old song, "Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets..." But the first thing you want to do, after washing and waxing the car, is to check whether the timing belt and water pump have been replaced. These are "must do" items at 90K, but in any case by the time the car is eleven years old! I'd change all fluids too, and get a 4-wheel alignment. By the way, I have most service performed at my local Toyota dealership. They are more than happy to service my car, after all an ES is really just an upgraded Camry V6, and they are a lot cheaper too! I take my own jugs of Mobil 1 (from Costco on sale) to them when I get an oil change.
You will find lots of helpful and friendly advice on this forum.
Regards- Richard W. in Northern California
Richard,
THANK YOU. Car has been washed and waxed and filled with premium.

I already decided that I would take the car somewhere for a once over, but your specific points are GREAT advice. And, I'll forego the Lexus dealership as previously planned and head to the nearest Toyota dealership.

Again, thank you!
Old 12-16-13, 04:19 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by brucelee1
TJams

Make sure you do all routine service as soon as you .

Oil change, filter, coolant, trans fluid, etc.

Welcome, you will love the ES.
BL1
Thanks for the welcome! I was in love with this car while shopping for him on-line - now that it's actually in my drive way.......... well, you know.
Old 12-16-13, 06:09 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TJams
Looking for ANY wisdom you have regarding the car as this is the first Lex I've owned.
What car did you have before? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the DBW throttle and transmission response.

Also, what was the first thing you did when you got yours?
As others have said, maintenance is first. Then get the windows tinted, and maybe some LED lighting.

How much did you get the car for, and how many miles? Post up some pics!
Old 12-16-13, 07:39 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome,

Aside from the regular maintenance items, first thing I chose to replace all the interior lights with LEDs. Next thing I chose to do was replace my fog lights with HIDs to match the headlights. You'll definitely enjoy the ES300. Post some pictures of your ride!
Old 12-16-13, 10:16 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

And a warm welcome to you, too 01LEXPL! Fat fingers today?

1) To be such a smart a** you should learn how to spell or use the spell check feature that is conveniently located in the upper right-hand corner of the reply box; and

2) You have the option not to read (or respond to) a thread that's been covered 463,829 on this board.
Hi butthurt. Not sure why you took such offense, but you wanted advice, you got it - on the forums side of things. About your car, do whatever.

Since you're not asking a specific question what do you want to hear...? I can only assume you're asking about forum advice... I mean car advice is straight forward, you have to change the same things in all cars; it's not rocket surgery.

Ask stupid questions you'll end up like the recent flock of dummies that joined this board asking questions and getting mad when no one posts the answers... I see it time & time again.

Second, you did right in introducing yourself at the very top link, I must commend that.

Cheers.

Ps. I'm using an iThingy so that explains the autocorrect
Old 12-17-13, 06:42 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
What car did you have before? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the DBW throttle and transmission response.

As others have said, maintenance is first. Then get the windows tinted, and maybe some LED lighting.

How much did you get the car for, and how many miles? Post up some pics!
Hi Speedkar,
Prior to this, I owned a 2002 Ford Taurus (HEY! Don't judge! ). It was taken out by a Penske moving truck in a rear-end, chain-reaction, multi-car collision. The truck hit the car behind me, she hit me and I hit the car in front of me (Ouch!) Thanks to Mr. Penske, he upgraded me to the Lexus.

As far as the "DBW" throttle & transmission response, I'm not educated enough, nor have I driven the car enough to comment however, you've given me "food for thought" and I will get back with you on both topics.

Window tint - I've already called 3 places for quotes. Lifetime warranty is a must and 35% is the legal limit in KS. Price ranges are from $150 - $225.

I'm not sure of the advantages of LED lighting, more "food for thought" and something else to research on my quest for knowledge when it comes to this car.

Purchase price: $8,800. Mileage: 124,467.
Will post pics later today.
Old 12-17-13, 06:45 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Welcome,

Aside from the regular maintenance items, first thing I chose to replace all the interior lights with LEDs. Next thing I chose to do was replace my fog lights with HIDs to match the headlights. You'll definitely enjoy the ES300. Post some pictures of your ride!
Hi PC,
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I appreciate it. I am researching the advantages of LED interior lights and will post pics later today.
Old 12-17-13, 10:40 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi PC,
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I appreciate it. I am researching the advantages of LED interior lights and will post pics later today.
Not much of an advantage other than brightness and they tend to last longer, however, I did them because I just don't like the look of stock bulbs. Definitely not something thats required to do but it is a pretty cheap upgrade. Below is the ones I changed first because the stock bulbs didn't give enough light.

Also forgot to mention, thanks to hypervish, I also upgraded my stock radio to include bluetooth! It was hands down my favorite addition so far.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...intensive.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any Advice for a "Newbie" Lexus Owner?