ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Any Advice for a "Newbie" Lexus Owner?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-13, 12:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 12-17-13, 01:49 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
Not much of an advantage other than brightness and they tend to last longer, however, I did them because I just don't like the look of stock bulbs. Definitely not something thats required to do but it is a pretty cheap upgrade. Below is the ones I changed first because the stock bulbs didn't give enough light.

Also forgot to mention, thanks to hypervish, I also upgraded my stock radio to include bluetooth! It was hands down my favorite addition so far.
Based on the little research I've done, the LED lights definitely add that extra "umph."
I am seriously considering the "Sky Blue" kit from xtralights.com. Entire kit (including trunk light) is $79.95 + tax + S&H. Not bad.
Old 12-17-13, 01:51 PM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Welcome to the Club.
Thank you!
Old 12-17-13, 03:10 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome!

One easy and inexpensive improvement is to replace the parking lights, the outer small bulb at the edge of the headlight. Instructions are at carcarekiosk.com, it's very easy to access them through the wheel wells. I replaced the yellowish, dull bulbs with bright white 20-SMD LEDs.
Old 12-18-13, 05:08 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by TJams
I'm not sure of the advantages of LED lighting, more "food for thought" and something else to research on my quest for knowledge when it comes to this car.
I installed LED strip lighting in mine, this was before I replaced the puddle and map lights with LEDs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5CSI-FOeU

And here is Megafast's car:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lLkUDL3h18

Purchase price: $8,800. Mileage: 124,467.
Ouch, isn't that kind of steep for a 2002 car? Is that what they go for in your area?

Originally Posted by Chocolate
One easy and inexpensive improvement is to replace the parking lights, the outer small bulb at the edge of the headlight.
+1
It'll match the HID's nicer too.

I kinda like the look of HID headlights + yellow fogs though.

Looking forward to some pictures.
Old 12-18-13, 05:49 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I installed LED strip lighting in mine, this was before I replaced the puddle and map lights with LEDs:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm5CSI-FOeU

And here is Megafast's car:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lLkUDL3h18

Ouch, isn't that kind of steep for a 2002 car? Is that what they go for in your area?

+1
It'll match the HID's nicer too.

I kinda like the look of HID headlights + yellow fogs though.

Looking forward to some pictures.
Not to hijack the OP's thread but how did you install the LED light strip?

Look's great!
Old 12-18-13, 06:18 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chocolate
Welcome!

One easy and inexpensive improvement is to replace the parking lights, the outer small bulb at the edge of the headlight. Instructions are at carcarekiosk.com, it's very easy to access them through the wheel wells. I replaced the yellowish, dull bulbs with bright white 20-SMD LEDs.
Thank you for the welcome!
Funny you should mention the parking lights. Last night, I noticed the parking light on the passenger side is out. It will be replaced this week (at no cost to me since I've owned the car less than a week).
Old 12-18-13, 06:29 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
It quite possibly could be, however, based on my research, the purchase price is exactly what the car is worth according to the NADA. I used NADA and not other sources as this is one of the primary sources my insurance company uses when pricing out vehicles.

They were originally asking $11k (which I know is WAY overpriced).

Edit to add: Fully loaded, EXTREMELY clean, I'm the 3rd owner, clean CARFAX (0 accidents, don't know how much weight to give that) and service records up to 120,558 miles (car currently has around 127,500).

Last edited by TJams; 12-18-13 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 12-18-13, 07:31 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

To post a pic, I clicked the icon and it's asking for the URL, but I don't have one.
I'm taking pics with my phone, sending it to my e-mail, and would like to attach the pics from there.

HELP!
Old 12-18-13, 07:34 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

To post a pic, I clicked the icon and it's asking for the URL, but I don't have one.
I'm taking pics with my phone, sending it to my e-mail, and would like to attach the pics from there.

HELP!
Upload it to a photo sharing site such as flickr, photo bucket, etc and grab the link from there.
Old 12-18-13, 04:00 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not to hijack the OP's thread but how did you install the LED light strip?
Old 12-18-13, 04:04 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Doh!

Should have seen that. Thanks!
Old 12-19-13, 09:16 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi!
Newbie "TJams" here.
Just purchased a 2002 ES 300 today. YEAH BABY!
Looking for ANY wisdom you have regarding the car as this is the first Lex I've owned.
Also, what was the first thing you did when you got yours?
As mentioned in an earlier post, the first thing you should do is make sure any required maintenance has been done, and if not, do it.

It's not a performance car, and nothing you can do to it will make it one.

Premium fuel may increase your fuel economy slightly, but you'll still pay more per mile than if you use regular. It will make a little more power, but not much.

Cold air intakes mostly produce more noise, but won't measurably increase fuel economy and any increase in power is going to be at WOT, not in normal driving. Unless you drive at WOT all the time. At which case you should have probably bought something else.

If you want to put bigger wheels and lower profile tires on it and/or lowering springs on the suspension, refer to the second point. If you want to do it because you like the way it looks, have at it, but the primary result will be a worse ride in a car that was designed to be a luxury car.

Any mods you do will reduce the value of the vehicle to anyone but you.

Please don't put a fart can on it.

Enjoy your car.
Old 12-20-13, 01:28 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rip out factory HU and replace it with aftermarket GPS/bluetooth/rear cam/ touchscreen ASAP. This is very easy to do! 1-2 hrs tops. (rear cam install will add more time but can be done in advance).

This will add a whole new dimension to the driving process (no need to fiddle with the phone, it autoconnects to your car once you get in, stream mp3's/ podcasts off of your phone, watch movies while driving 120mph in the break down lane (j/k) etc.) you will enjoy the driving process A WHOLE LOT more.

AND Do it all yourself for ultimate satisfaction!
Old 12-23-13, 07:03 AM
TJams
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 285exp
As mentioned in an earlier post, the first thing you should do is make sure any required maintenance has been done, and if not, do it.

It's not a performance car, and nothing you can do to it will make it one.

Premium fuel may increase your fuel economy slightly, but you'll still pay more per mile than if you use regular. It will make a little more power, but not much.

Cold air intakes mostly produce more noise, but won't measurably increase fuel economy and any increase in power is going to be at WOT, not in normal driving. Unless you drive at WOT all the time. At which case you should have probably bought something else.

If you want to put bigger wheels and lower profile tires on it and/or lowering springs on the suspension, refer to the second point. If you want to do it because you like the way it looks, have at it, but the primary result will be a worse ride in a car that was designed to be a luxury car.

Any mods you do will reduce the value of the vehicle to anyone but you.

Please don't put a fart can on it.

Enjoy your car.
Hi 285 and thank you for the advice.
I purchased this car because of the smooth ride and overall lusury. I have no plans or desire to turn it into something else. I'm way past the age where I want to drive fast. I've driven the car for a week now and have no understanding of those who want to change this car from luxury to a hot rod or something other than what it is intended to be.

At this point, I will replace the lights (making them LED where appropriate inside & out) and tint the windows. I read about Seafoam on another thread so I just burned my first tank of gas with the Seafoam in it and at about 250 miles from when I need the oil changed, I will add some to the oil.

I'm somewhat afraid to use regular fuel. This car has a significant amount of miles and I don't want it to develop a knock or ping or whatever it is the owner's manual says will happen if I don't use anything other than premium.

I am DEFINITELY enjoying the car!

Quick Reply: Any Advice for a "Newbie" Lexus Owner?