ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

White smoke on start/acceleration

Old 12-16-13, 07:58 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yeskay
amazing you did a major service with big o rather with toyota dealership or toyota certified.
Well, I got this car with a lot of miles on it, and not in great shape (had a few dings, a few weird engine knocks when cold) from the get-go. But got it as payment for a job at a time when i really needed a car. Not that I don't want to take care of it, but honestly at this point was very close to just getting rid of it. I've had it for almost 5 years now, so I think as far as payment for that particular job went, I've come out ok.

But just picked up a car for my wife, as her old(er) Toyota Sienna was on its way out. Got a 2004 RX330 (which _will_ have service done at authorized dealerships). Can't take on a 2nd set of car payments just yet. I needed my car to last just a little while longer. So opted to have the work done to it, and happened to have a Big O credit card that had enough room on it (and 0% financing).

None of this is ideal, I get that. We all just do the best we can from day to day

Appreciate you pointing out the distinction on the smoke (blue vs white). I dropped the car off at the shop last night, as I want them to see what it looks like when started up cold. Will be headed over there shortly to discuss further what to do.
Old 12-21-13, 10:16 AM
CJG
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE

This past Monday, dropped the car off with the mechanic. Told him I couldn't drive it 500 miles the way it was blowing smoke. Asked that he check into it to see what it needs, be it gaskets, valve stem seals, whatever. I was essentially willing to double down on my $1300 investment. Another $1300-$1400 would suck, but _if_ the car lasted another year, still a better alternative to car payments right now for us.

Tuesday afternoon he calls. It's bad. I didn't write down details, and for fear of explaining it incorrectly (as I may have understood him incorrectly) I won't go into details. Suffice it to say, I decided I'd just bring it to my local Carmax, hopefully get a few hundred, and get myself into the cheapest car they have on the lot. I was prepared to do that immediately. Like, that evening. But I couldn't find my title. Fate, perhaps.

The next morning, I take my wife's car to DMV to pick up a duplicate title. As I'm leaving DMV, title in hand, mechanic calls me. I tell him I'm about to come pick up the car and sell it. He says I might want to reconsider. It's not blowing smoke anymore. The only thing he can think that he did that fixed it was replace the PCV valve (which had been suggested in this thread).

I've had it back now since Weds afternoon (currently Saturday morning). I've driven it around a little, and so far, so good.

Hopefully this lasts. I work from home, and really only drive the car to the supermarket and the gym. If I can do that for another year, I'll be thrilled, and all this would have been worth it.

I realize this is somewhat of an anticlimactic ending for those who have been following along. Sorry for that, but happy that, for the time being, replacing the PCV valve seems to have solved the immediate issue.

Appreciate the feedback that everybody provided. For somebody who doesn't know what they're doing when it comes to cars, having a resource like this, like all of you, is a huge comfort. Seriously, thank you all for the suggestions and comments.

Charlie
Old 12-21-13, 03:13 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Lesson learned. Stay away from shady mechanics and tire shops that want to become mechanics. Just take the car to a Lexus dealer and at least get a diagnosis from them. Then decide what to do.
Old 12-22-13, 05:51 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

That is a bad situation from a mechanics point of view. I'm willing to bet that a piece of crude was disturbed and jammed the PC valve open causing it to suck oil. You stated that the oil light came on. I hope you never lost oil pressure, that would be bad. You may want to have the intake manifold cleaned as I'm sure it is full of oil which will collect crud over time and cause performance issues.