ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

K&N Air filter installation problems in 02 ES

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 08:36 PM
Solo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K&N Air filter installation problems in 02 ES

WTF, I just spent two hours trying to install an air filter. Mind you, I'm fairly handy in the garage and have done everything from replacing transmissions to CV joints.

So, this shouldn't be hard. But I couldn't get the damn lid on properly. It wouldn't go into the two rear tabs properly. I checked and i have the proper one (33-2260). No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to line up and close down. I practically stood on the damn lid to get it to screw down and if I did, then the rear tabs would pop out. Help, because I'm about to lose my mind.

What could I possibly be doing wrong? (I have it oriented the right way, sure of that).
Old 12-05-13, 07:45 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Throw the K&N in the garbage and put the original air filter back in. I bet the airbox will fit like a glove once again.
Old 12-05-13, 08:11 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

+1.

There is absolutly no benefit to the K&N filters, only downsides. Their filtering efficiency is less effective than the Lexus filter. It does let more air in, but it's filtering efficiency is less, thus allowing more dirt to go through.

And even with the greatear volume of air, all that happends is that your engine management computer increases the fuel intake to maintain the ideal combustion ratio, so you're no further ahead.

If you use the K&N filters that require an oil coating it's even worse, as that oil can contaminate and ruin your MAF sensor.

Phil
Old 12-05-13, 08:13 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

+1.

There is absolutly no benefit to the K&N filters, only downsides. Their filtering efficiency is less effective than the Lexus filter. It does let more air in, but it's filtering efficiency is less, thus allowing more dirt to go through.

And even with the greatear volume of air, all that happends is that your engine management computer increases the fuel intake to maintain the ideal combustion ratio, so you're no further ahead.

If you use the K&N filters that require an oil coating it's even worse, as that oil can contaminate and ruin your MAF sensor.

In your particular case the K&N filter dimensions maybe slightly out of spec, thus it won't it properly

Phil
Old 12-05-13, 08:22 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
+1.

In your particular case the K&N filter dimensions maybe slightly out of spec, thus it won't it properly

Phil
Most of this is just pure speculation. However if the filter is right it will fit.
Old 12-05-13, 08:38 AM
Solo2
Driver School Candidate

Well, it's going back to the store for a refund. I'm not screwing with it anymore. Plain paper filter for me. The reason I bought it was because I drive a lot (about 20K per year). So, cleaning and reoiling a filter is cheaper.

Having said that, I've used K&N filters in 3 or 4 cars with NO ill effects. In fact, I use it in a fully prepared race car (which uses a stock MAF). I clean them and reoil them per the instructions, no worries, no problems. It is proven for a couple of hp's but nothing spectacular.

This one is just messed up. I know it's the right filter. My only guess is that with the tons of miles on the car, perhaps the airbox has warped ever so slightly as to make fitment difficult. Whatever, my time is too valuable to screw with it further.
Old 12-06-13, 01:06 PM
milirx450h
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it is a little hard to get it in there. What I did was trim some of the rubber off the edges and it fits a little better.
Old 06-30-15, 02:37 AM
dmilklex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N Air filter installation problems in 02 ES

Originally Posted by milies300
Yeah, it is a little hard to get it in there. What I did was trim some of the rubber off the edges and it fits a little better.
How much did you have to trim off the rubber? I presume you cut off on the left side of the filter(as seen from front side of the vehicle). A picture would tell a lot more, but can't ask for that.