ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I Caught the Hit and Run Driver

Old 11-18-13, 12:53 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Default I Caught the Hit and Run Driver

Saturday I drove out of my indoor Condo Garage spot and went to visit my Daughter. She was outside in her driveway waiting for me. When I got out of the car she asked me what happened to my car. I had no clue what she was taking about, but when I looked, I saw a huge dent in my rear bumper.

I called the insurance company reporting it as a hit and run, and on my way home I filed a Police report. The Insurance Company arranged for me to get an estimate. Monday, I went to the dealer, and it came in at around $1,000 new original Lexus bumper cover + labor + Paint, etc.. I also qualify for a free rental car for the duration of the repair. Since it was a Hit and run, this does not effect my insurance rates nor my deductible, which was $0 anyway.

Luckily our Condo is equipped with Video Cameras, and one of them points directly at my indoor parking spot. On a whim, I asked the building security to pull out the video, We reviewed it together and at 5:30pm last Friday afternoon, the video clearly shows that the nice elderly lady that parks directly behind me backed up hard into my car and caused the damage. Security called her down, she denied hitting my car, She didn't know about the security cameras. Once she saw the Video replay she admitted it, and offered to pay for the damage. I called back my Insurance company but they advised me against making any side deals with her.

So my car is going to the dealer next Monday for the repair, and should come out as good as new.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails I Caught the Hit and Run Driver-lexus-damage.jpg  

Last edited by PFB; 11-19-13 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-18-13, 01:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm also surprised that your insurance company did not cause a fuss about no record/proof of the hit and run, before you found the footage. What company do you have?
Old 11-18-13, 01:50 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I'm glad it all worked out for you. I'm also surprised that your insurance company did not cause a fuss about no record/proof of the hit and run, before you found the footage. What company do you have?
If its a hit and run without witnesses, you can't really prove anything. They have to take your word for it. However filing a police report is mandatory.

Now that I gave the insurance company the accurate details of what transpired, including the contact information of the culprit, they will recuperate all the damages from her.

I'm in Canada, so maybe things here work somewhat differently than in the USA

Phil
Old 11-19-13, 09:38 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're willing to report as h&r to police, you're credible, and there are no circumstances suggesting you are fabricating story (like concrete or wood fence remnants on your damage), then they'll probably accept your claim.

the extent of damage almost looks like something an elderly person could do and not realize they'd done it. although once confronted and she admitted it.... hmmmm...i'd expect more from her...like leaving a note and apologizing, and offering to let her company fix it.

definitely get it fixed through your insurance and let them recover the monetary damages from her. side deals are risky to you only , as person often balks and says "too much", or wants to go through their flakey friend...then you lose. This way she can still repay if she chooses to, at no risk to you.
Old 11-21-13, 08:22 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by canucklehe
If you're willing to report as h&r to police, you're credible, and there are no circumstances suggesting you are fabricating story (like concrete or wood fence remnants on your damage), then they'll probably accept your claim.

the extent of damage almost looks like something an elderly person could do and not realize they'd done it. although once confronted and she admitted it.... hmmmm...i'd expect more from her...like leaving a note and apologizing, and offering to let her company fix it.

definitely get it fixed through your insurance and let them recover the monetary damages from her. side deals are risky to you only , as person often balks and says "too much", or wants to go through their flakey friend...then you lose. This way she can still repay if she chooses to, at no risk to you.
You're absolutely right. My Insurance company advised me not to make any side deals with her for the exact reasons that you have mentioned.

Here in Quebec, we have what's called "No fault Insurance". This means that each insured person's insurance company immediately pays the damages to their own client, and later, the insurance Companies settle between themselves.

And yes, she did know that she hit me, because in the video you can see her get out of the car to examine the damage, and than driving away. Her car was totally undamaged.

Phil
Old 11-21-13, 08:49 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

that's disheartening to hear she got out and looked. Obviously she knew. Sneaky. I generally find most of the older generation still has some morals and scrupples, so that's disappointing to hear.

for car damage, it pretty much works the same way everywhere...you deal with your insurance company to get car fixed, and then the companies sort it out between themselves. "No fault" is for injuries. Takes away your ability to sue the other person for personal injury. Only province left in Canada where you can sue the other driver from ground zero is BC...and it's a disaster. Every minor scratch people claim ridiculous injury. And the policy holders all pay ridiculous rates to fund it.

In Alberta and maritimes, they have relatively low limits on how much you can get for whiplash, but if serious, you can sue. Ontario is a messy system, but basically can't sue. Sask & Manitoba are similar to Quebec with no ability to sue at all.
Old 11-22-13, 01:58 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i was expecting real hit and run story on the road, not an old lady in the garage fender bender. lol.

kudos to you for checking the tapes but sounds like you are covered anyway. ***** happens.
Old 11-23-13, 08:15 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, old people can be real bad about hitting something and then leaving, they don't even feel it and don't realize they damaged something.
Old 11-23-13, 08:26 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I agree with ya Mitmaks, but in this case the tapes show she got out and looked!! pretty slimey to not leave your name and take your lumps when you what you did.
Old 11-23-13, 11:17 AM
Ravencrave
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to see you caught the driver. Surveillance cameras can be a blessing!