ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 transmission leak from splines???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 07:18 AM
Lynrdbr03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ES300 transmission leak from splines???

OK, so instead of replacing my passenger side drive axle shaft myself, I took my car to a local repair shop because cause he quoted 100 bucks and I was short on time that month. Well I got my car back with a leaking transmission. It does not leak much, maybe a quart every 4-5 months. But it drips right on the exhaust and stinks. I took my car back to the guy and he replaced the axle shaft seal twice (one OE seal and one from Toyota) but this did not fix the leak. He states the leak is coming from the splines.... and that he did not replace the whole drive axle just the have with the bad boot. Again I realize why I should not take my car to repair shops, I had thought he was going to replace the whole shaft. Anyways he saids the leak will stop when her replaces the old half of the shaft with a new one. This does not make sense to me. I think he damaged the splines and that is why it is leaking. Would a new shaft stop the leak from the splines? Has anyone else dealt with this before?

Thank you
Old 11-12-13, 07:52 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt it's an issue with the splines. If they were damaged very badly, the axle wouldn't fully seat into the transmission. Either way the splines are inside of the transmission. Even if they were slightly damaged, the output shaft seal he replaced would be stopping any fluid from escaping. It is possible this guy isn't very good at installing those type of "hammer in" seals. He could have gotten the seal ****-eyed, and warped it so the seal was no longer a perfect circle, thus creating a leak. It's a pretty fool-proof repair for any competent mechanic. Who replaces just boots these days? Most shops won't even bother because its twice the labor time as installing a new axle itself.
Old 11-19-13, 11:01 AM
Lynrdbr03
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the response. I don't know what to think or do. I have been just driving it with periodically replacing the fluid when ever it gets low..... been about 8 months and I have only gone through 2 of the quarts of AT fluid. I do not trust or believe what that mechanic tells me anymore. I have been unable to find any other posts about leaks in that area. Any other suggestions on how it maybe leaking? I would assume they could put that drive axle seal on correctly at least one of the two times it was replaced.
Old 11-20-13, 05:30 PM
ES300doc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lynrdbr03
Thank you for the response. I don't know what to think or do. I have been just driving it with periodically replacing the fluid when ever it gets low..... been about 8 months and I have only gone through 2 of the quarts of AT fluid. I do not trust or believe what that mechanic tells me anymore. I have been unable to find any other posts about leaks in that area. Any other suggestions on how it maybe leaking? I would assume they could put that drive axle seal on correctly at least one of the two times it was replaced.
They can't leak from the splines. It's more likely that there are seal groves worn into the old axle shaft seal surface on the drive axle. Next time replace the axle shaft along with the seal.

It's possible they nicked this surface while using a pry bar to pop the axle loose, but not likely.

Once the old axle shaft is out, inspect the area on the axle shaft where the seal rides and you will likely find the cause of the leak.