ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension Changed; Lost Lexus "Glide"

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 03:15 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Did you get a credit for the KYBs that you returned. What about the labor? Any discount on that?

And yes, by all means, post back with your experience with the OE Struts.

Phil
Old 11-13-13, 07:08 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Let us know how the car feels after the swap. I'll be doing the same in the spring.
What are you going to do with the shocks that you take out?
Old 11-13-13, 07:32 PM
Avory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No charge on the swap out; they already made their money on the mark-up of the KYBs and labor charged previously. I very much appreciate their willingness to make the change, but after all, they recommended the KYBs as the equivalent replacement in the first place. I'm just glad I got the advice here to make sure that I insisted on original Toyota suspension parts (other than the KYBs) so a wholesale (or piecemeal) swap out wasn't necessary. I'll let everyone know the results.
Old 11-15-13, 07:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by DJPsystems
What are you going to do with the shocks that you take out?
I'll try to sell them on here or Toyota nation, just need to find out if they're compatible with any Camrys.
Old 11-19-13, 09:19 AM
Avory
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swapped out the KYB's for Toyota OE, difference is night and day...still not willing to say that the ride is as smooth as it was with the AVS (maybe there was some active dampening going on after all?), but it is much, much improved over what it was after the KYB install. The KYB's are clearly good struts, but I just can't recommend them if you look at your Lexus as a comfortable-riding long distance automobile. And if you never had AVS, I'm betting you'll think the Toyota OE struts will restore the ride you were accustomed to. Thanks again to everyone here who chimed in with their experiences.
Old 11-19-13, 02:34 PM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Avory
Swapped out the KYB's for Toyota OE, difference is night and day...still not willing to say that the ride is as smooth as it was with the AVS (maybe there was some active dampening going on after all?), but it is much, much improved over what it was after the KYB install. The KYB's are clearly good struts, but I just can't recommend them if you look at your Lexus as a comfortable-riding long distance automobile. And if you never had AVS, I'm betting you'll think the Toyota OE struts will restore the ride you were accustomed to. Thanks again to everyone here who chimed in with their experiences.
Congrats on your "new ride"
Old 11-20-13, 03:47 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh man I missed an AVS party! Avory glad to hear it confirmed what I and Mr. B already knew...nothing rides like those stock struts. From my years of experience with stock and modified performance suspension, I learned the shocks are the brains of the suspension. I had those Tokicos and they are even sportier than the GR-2s! This is the reality of the stock replacement parts industry...as mentioned before the same strut is spec'd for every car it fits, Camry, ES, Avalon Solara etc. so you don't get a specific part. Also the end customer is DIY or a mechanic looking to fix their customer up for the cheapest price, so the parts quality is crap. The OEM stuff is made to go 100-200k miles say but the aftermarket stuff is made to last 50k if that. The pricing of OEM parts sucks, but what can you do, they are the only quality parts most of the time. Glad you did not get the KYB strut mounts, I already had that experience, swapped to OEM clunks are gone ;-) It is just atrocious you can't trust some of the aftermarket parts to work on day one much less last any length of time. It is hard to blame the mechanic, probably 99% of the time a customer doesn't know any better, they get new struts and don't come back with any problems. My wife will happily drive forever with a clunk or grind because "it as an old car they make noise" she just don't care good thing I drive her car once in a while!

For me, I had a lot of time and patience, so I did complete the swap to the AVS suspension but it was uncharted territory. I did buy used JDM struts and ship them around the world but I had to buy 8 of 'em to get 4 good ones. When one blows I will pony up the dough for a new one. You can get the AVS struts down to $320/ea or so through this site's discount program with Sewell Lexus.

If I had gotten to you, or the 12 other people that have the AVS system ha, in the beginning I would have told you to take a different tack. Our Lexus is just a Camry right, so people want to throw new parts at a problem. When you factor in $500 a peice struts you have to think different. You have to treat the car like a fine German or perhaps Italian automobile. You need to find a mechanic who will diagnose the actual problem (i.e. left rear strut blown) and then fix just that part. I also found (and Mr B. will agree I think) I was hot to replace all the parts, strut mounts and spring seats and whatnot, but those parts were actually just fine at 100k so replacing them is perhaps prudent but not required.

I could have told you the AVS system would be fine replacing the struts with non-AVS, there is no outward dash light or indication of trouble with the AVS system, to diagnose it you have to hook up a light and put into diag mode. When you turn the car off all the diag codes are lost. You'll never know the AVS can't find those struts ;-) BTW if it helps my impressions on the system, the "normal" one-up from soft setting on the AVS is closest to the stock non-AVS ride, the Lexus Service Manual for the car gives you the impression that is so and it feels that way to me too. The best part for me is the ability to dial in the soft ride, which is necessarily "floaty" in the corners, or I can dial that out with a twist of the **** when I want a sporty feeling. I myself find a pretty big difference between at least 3 of the settings and enjoy the AVS system greatly but then I am a bit of a suspension geek. There are actually 10 settings of stiffness on the shocks, and the computer controls them separately front and rear based on engine data, steering sensor, G-sensor etc.. So even in the "normal" setting, when you brake hard, or bend into a corner quickly, the AVS is stiffening up the shocks as you go, so there is a bit of "best of both worlds" there. It is a shame the way this was a super rare option on the ES much like the Nakamichi Stereo on the non-Coach/Platinum models, but yet so worth the price when the car was new. Toyota/Lexus is odd that way with regional limitations or set option packages. In Japan the Toyota Windom (JDM verison of our ES) the AVS was pretty much standard equipment, you would have trouble finding a car without the system.

Last edited by Power6; 11-20-13 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 08:55 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

Question

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I'll try to sell them on here or Toyota nation, just need to find out if they're compatible with any Camrys.
Have you changed your shocks yet? When you do I may be interested in buying them.
Old 04-07-14, 08:59 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Have you changed your shocks yet? When you do I may be interested in buying them.
I'll let you know. I'm gonna try putting the stock springs back on and seeing if that makes any difference. I have noticed that I have gotten used to the ride, but it's on winter tires still so they are probably absorbing most of the road.
Old 04-08-14, 09:36 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got Tokico blues sitting on the shelf...about 10k miles on them before I pulled them off to put the AVS struts on...PM if interested...

Mr B the springs aren't going to do it I think. The blues are sporty.
Old 04-08-14, 07:40 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Power6
I got Tokico blues sitting on the shelf...about 10k miles on them before I pulled them off to put the AVS struts on...PM if interested...

Mr B the springs aren't going to do it I think. The blues are sporty.
Will there be any difference at all by going from Tanabe to Stock springs? I'm currently in the process of removing minor rust and painting them.
Old 04-08-14, 10:39 PM
DJPsystems
Pit Crew

The reason I ask is because I got KYB's all the way around and they ended up "soft and mushy". I was expecting a firm ride but in my opinion the feeling is "boaty".
Old 06-04-14, 07:45 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Question here, if I keep my stock springs but go the KYB route, will I get a stiffer ride, or will it be similar to OEM? Still deciding whether or not to dish out the money for oem struts
Old 06-04-14, 12:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,703 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lostape45
Question here, if I keep my stock springs but go the KYB route, will I get a stiffer ride, or will it be similar to OEM? Still deciding whether or not to dish out the money for oem struts
Originally Posted by synrgy350
If you purchased the silver GR-2 struts from KYB, there lies your problem. While the stock struts are made by KYB, they are made with valving specifications from Lexus. The GR-2 is a replacement strut that is valved firmer than stock and will never settle down to that lexus feel you are used to. I know because I went through the same thing in my other car and never got the original ride back with the GR-2s. Unfortunately, if you want that ride back, you are better off buying the OEM standard struts (not AVS) and installing them in place of your GR-2s. Only then will you have that Lexus ride back.
Old 06-05-14, 10:19 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

This is exactly what I heard from KYB after purchasing OEM struts. KYB have a 15% stiffer strut to compensate for worn suspension components. Go with OEM and do it right the first time, trust me on this.

Quick Reply: Suspension Changed; Lost Lexus "Glide"