Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Wheels

Old 11-05-13, 02:29 PM   #1
donkeysnot
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Wheels

I have a 2005 Lexus ES330 with Chrome plated alloy wheels, there is corrosion peeling the chrome off. Is this a common issue? is there a cure? Will the dealer warranty this?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
donkeysnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 02:55 PM   #2
brucelee1
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Never heard of this before on our cars. OEM wheels?
I don't see the dealer helping on this but you can always ask.
brucelee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 07:43 PM   #3
01LEXPL
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (9)

typical on most chrome wheels, with time.

I think yours may have been some of those ebay knock offs, they make a replica wheel with subpar materials and chrome plate those to mimic OEM yet be able to charge far less than OEM

If they were real the only damage would be from curbing, or inside the barrel where the tires mount, since seam sealer will pull away the chrome from the aluminum underneath or if they were used year round in the winter time.

If these saw regular year round use in the winter with snow/salt, then yes, peeling would be expected...
01LEXPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 08:42 PM   #4
Dave Mac
Lexus Test Driver

On a 2005 some peeling would certainly be possible - almost 9 years. There are no factory chrome wheels but rather factory wheels chromed. I once had one peel a bit - the unused spare - and the dealer replaced it but that was within the first year. I would not expect your dealer to be able to help you much at this point but it can't hurt to ask.

Dave Mac
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 11:48 PM   #5
Avory
Driver School Candidate

I noticed recently for the first time some peeling on my 1997 ES300 chrome wheels, but only one, and around the valve stem. I recently had the tires and valve stems changed and perhaps there was some rough handling in the area of the stem. I didn't know these wheels are prone to peeling and now I'm pleased mine have lasted this long. But now I'll worry about how the wheels are handled going forward...it's always something...

Any thoughts about how to arrest further peeling where it has started? Or cosmetically what to do?
Avory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 09:09 AM   #6
01LEXPL
Lexus Champion

^ nothing... other than sending them out to get stripped and re-chromed which is pricey.

It happens to chrome, as various conditions will be prone to lifting the actual plating that sits on top of the alloy underneath.

The veins in between the plating & alloy will seep air out, which is why when you google "chrome rim leaking air" it pulls up thousands of results.

It's the price [& risk] you pay for a far nicer looking wheel vs. a standard alloy.
Old 11-06-13, 10:14 AM   #7
Avory
Driver School Candidate

Yikes...are you saying that chrome wheels (rims) are much more susceptible to air leaks? I've never had a problem with that to this point. Another thing to fret about!
Avory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 11:23 AM   #8
01LEXPL
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avory View Post
Yikes...are you saying that chrome wheels (rims) are much more susceptible to air leaks? I've never had a problem with that to this point. Another thing to fret about!
Yep, that's the external cost associated with a higher priced option to have a better looking car.

Mine don't leak, but they certainly had pitting and peeling as the previous owner used them during a Canadian winter or two - and that is the absolute biggest killer of chrome.
Old 11-06-13, 11:23 AM