ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

No backup lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-11, 01:17 PM
spazcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there no the problem seems to be getting worse as most of the time the reverse lights dont come on until I jiggle the gear selector then they will stay on - deffo not a bulb issue but a switch issue, somewhere associated with the selector. Afffects the dash indicator bulb too, entire circuit intermittant at the moment.
any help with ID the associated switch much appreciated
Old 01-06-11, 12:13 AM
spazcar
Driver School Candidate

no fix yet any update ??
Old 01-07-11, 09:03 PM
Nberke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spazcar
Hey my first post - I have a 88,000 km 1994 ES300 in brilliant condition

So far I have replaced the dash back lights with LEDs / managed to connect my Ipod to the stereo direct, refreshed the transmission fluid and installed front driving lights - all of which was a breeze thanks to you guys.

Sadly my back up lights are now failing - the switch is the problem as I can get them to come on by jiggling the transmission selector. It looks fairly complex to get the switch out to clean it up - I suspect the addition of reverse sensor system hasnt helped as it will have added additional current load to this poor switch.

Any one been able to get to or fix the switch ?

cheers

How did You connect your Ipod to your factory Stereo directly???
Old 01-10-11, 11:01 PM
spazcar
Driver School Candidate

In regards of how to connect ipod to stereo, first I Purchased a suitable cable with ipod dock one end the other end had 2 rca connectors (L & R) and a red & black wire.
Chopped off the rca connectors and soldered the bare wires to the head unit input wires that lead from the trunk located cd changer (as my cd changer was knackered anyhow I didnt need the facility to play music CDs any more) I then connected the red wire to +12v switched & black to car earth. It all works well when on CD select, you must keep the changer in boot or the head unit wont stay on CD selection.
Old 01-13-11, 05:39 AM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spazcar
no fix yet any update ??
Actually, it is still a work in progress. The back up light/safety switch issue seems to have fixed itself for now. The lights have started working, and none of the other symptoms(trac control light, rear bulb out light, check engine light) have re-occurred for a week or so. Yesterday, I noticed that the tail lights on the lid were on, but the plate lights weren't. I changed out the bulbs, and that fxsed it. While doing it though, I noticed that when the lid was closed completely, the lights were on, and when I raised the lid they went off, down on, up off. It repeats. I suspect that I also have the problem that surf4dude has, and I'll take the wire loom apart tonight after work.
Old 01-15-11, 03:53 PM
kevin1000
Driver School Candidate

Got the trunk lid light problem fixed. It was the same problem surf4dude had, ground wire broken in the wire loom. Still haven't seen any re-occurence of the backup light/neutral safety switch problem. I hope it fixed itself? Lot cheaper than the alternative.
Old 01-17-11, 11:23 AM
byacs
Driver School Candidate

Hello...

I have a 97 es300. On my car...if i put it in reverse...there is quite a bit of play in the gearshift while in reverse...and if i slide it forward a bit...my reverse lights come on...if i let it go where it wants to be naturally...no reverse lights. I can literally turn them on and off by moving the gearshift fwd/back. It will also cause them to blow every once in awhile. I've replaced 2 times i think.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-11, 01:25 PM
JeffWo
Driver School Candidate

Is there a definitive answer to back up lights not staying on? They come on if you mess with the shifter. Is this something only a mechanic can handle or something I can fix?
Thanks

Last edited by JeffWo; 09-04-11 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 03:58 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

'96 here, I just went to America's Tire to find out my reverse lights were not working, CRAP

Anywho,

Checked Bulbs all good, FAIL

Looked for a fuse, none, FAIL

Checked for crimped wires, none, FAIL

Checked Shifter, while car was in the "on" position but not in idle. CULPRIT FOUND
I noticed the gauge cluster illuminates "R" when shifter is selected to reverse, but was flickering, added pressure forward then rear and it stayed lit.

I guess I need to adjust the Park/Neutral Switch at the trany in front of the car. Lucky I have the manual and worked on the trany before. Must have not properly placed the switch in place. when I replaced the trans.

I did notice a scratchy noise when driving maybe that was the issue.

Will post.

I did verify once the cluster indicator lit, the both reverse lights did come on.
Old 10-03-12, 07:59 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Update:

SUCCESS!

Found Park/Neutral Switch was out of alignment, corrected the position and followed service manual and set the Neutral position, VOILA Reverse Light are on on and also displayed on the cluster.

Aligned pointer to Neutral base line by loosing the two 10MM bolts, note the bolts are in opposite position as in the diagram

Removed 12MM nut and placed the switch to Neutral and shifter in Neutral with a pressure towards the "R" reverse per service manual. Torque to 48 inch/lb

Test, to insure it will start in Park and Neutral and also the indicator in the cluster illuminates at R when reverse lights illuminate. Test Drove = PASS.

Bonus, shifts into all gears much smoother, can't believe I drove the car this way for almost a year. Got to hand it to Toyota, they make a damn good car to tolerate amateur work. :-P

Still have the scratchy noise, will need to look under the car at the shifter, a bit annoying but the car drives much smoother and shifts thru the gears very nicely.

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 10-03-12 at 08:08 PM.