ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Somebody hit the lex! what now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 08:58 PM
mperucho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody hit the lex! what now?

Hey everyone, I'm a long time lurker of this board, but just recently signed up as a member. I have a 2004 ES330, and today while driving down a residential street where the cars aren't parallel parked but parked with their bumpers sticking out someone backed into it. I had slowed down almost to a stop to decide which spot to park when a woman started backing up (she hadn't been backing up while I was driving) and hit the edge of my bumper.

We both came out to inspect the damage. I had a decent sized scratch and a bunch of little scratches and she had a single scratch about the size of a finger. I asked that we exchange insurance info. She asked me where my place of employment was, and I thought that was odd so I didn't tell her, because I didn't think it was necessary.

I called her insurance company and filed a claim and now i'm just waiting to hear back. Has this ever happened to any of you? whats next? I have no idea how the process goes because this is my first car (bought it a little over two months ago)

Also, any guesstimates on how much it may cost to fix the damage? Will the whole bumper need to be repainted?

Thanks so much!
Old 09-05-13, 09:18 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Did you have a police report filed at the scene? That's the first thing you should have done. Calling her insurance company will only work if it's completely her fault...in writing.
Old 09-05-13, 09:25 PM
mperucho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Did you have a police report filed at the scene? That's the first thing you should have done. Calling her insurance company will only work if it's completely her fault...in writing.
Damn, no I didn't I thought the police didn't need to be called if it looked like under $1000 in damages
Old 09-05-13, 09:50 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mperucho
Damn, no I didn't I thought the police didn't need to be called if it looked like under $1000 in damages
If she denies the accident, there is nothing you can do without witnesses. The damage doesn't look too severe, so in the worst case scenario it will be a great life lesson.
Old 09-05-13, 09:52 PM
mperucho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
If she denies the accident, there is nothing you can do without witnesses. The damage doesn't look too severe, so in the worst case scenario it will be a great life lesson.
Does my friend who was in the car count as a witness?
Old 09-05-13, 11:00 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mperucho
Does my friend who was in the car count as a witness?
A witness is someone has no relation to you. So it has to be a random stranger that saw the accident.I don't think your friend will work. Your friend can still give a statement but I'm not sure if it'll help. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Too bad you didn't record the ladies statement on your phone, that probably could have helped.

From the looks of the damage, they might just end up repainting the entire bumper itself.
Old 09-05-13, 11:58 PM
mperucho
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sh1nra
A witness is someone has no relation to you. So it has to be a random stranger that saw the accident.I don't think your friend will work. Your friend can still give a statement but I'm not sure if it'll help. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Too bad you didn't record the ladies statement on your phone, that probably could have helped.

From the looks of the damage, they might just end up repainting the entire bumper itself.
Damn, well hopefully it all works out and she's cool about it. Since she didn't try to avoid exchanging info, hopefully its a smooth process.
Old 09-06-13, 04:00 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Believe you have up to 20 days to file a police report, however, jurisdictions are different. Your local police station will know what to do.
Old 09-06-13, 06:53 PM
mperucho
Driver School Candidate

Good news!

She admitted it was her fault and I received a voicemail from the insurance people. Kudos to her for owning up to it

Do you think insurance will only pay to touch it up or do you think they will cover repainting the entire bumper to restore it to its original condition?

thanks!
Old 09-06-13, 07:35 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From dealing with multiple insurance companies (my first car was a target for bad drivers), they never want to go beyond what they have to pay so best case you can get the entire bumper painted. But to be honest, they'll most likely go the cheapest route being a touch up.
Old 09-07-13, 07:02 AM
brucelee1
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

You do have to stay on their butts, as normally they will try to keep the claim costs down, no matter what. Ignore the adverstising, you are NOT in good hands with any of them.

Buyer beware.
Old 09-07-13, 07:15 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Where I live (southern cal), the police will not come out unless someone is injured. My ES 300 was totaled (no injuries), and they didn't want to come out to take a report.
Old 09-08-13, 03:30 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

It might have been better to have her to pay you out of pocket, for that level of damage. If you go through the insurance your car will likely be listed as being in an accident on Carfax and Autocheck, which will greatly lower the value if you try to sell.
Old 09-08-13, 08:35 AM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have the right to get 2-3 different body shop estimates and have body shop of your choice do the work. It will have to be repainted (entire bumper cover)