ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Suspension overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 08:32 PM
wonderbrea
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension overhaul

Background: Back in 2000 or 2001 my dad was working for a guy and helped him with this guys company and as a kind gesture he gave my dad his 98 ES300 for the cost of the title exchange. Pretty sweet right? Yep! but like the majority of kids these days my dad didn't take care of it over the next 10-12 years he drove it. Rarely changing the oil no routine maintenance and not even just cleaning the car.

Last year around this time he came to me as asked me if I was in need of a car. He told me that his ES300 had too many things wrong with it and he didn't have the time, energy or cash to do the repairs. So he said I could have it if I wanted to put it back on its feet. I took the car.

I knew right of the bat that it had a power steering leak and at least one motor mount that was bad. First thing I did was fix the high pressure line on the power steering because that leak was rediculous. If I were to turn sharply, fluid would spray everywhere and burn off in a plume of smoke. While doing the repairs I figured out everything else that needed repairs: All 4 motor mounts, both CV joints, front and back valve covers, bank 1 knock sensor, and it still had all original suspension (including the bad strut mounts), that's 242,000 miles on the original suspension . And it needs a new front seat. The leather ripped on the left had side allowing the foam to break apart and expose the metal frame under the foam. (EDIT: I forgot to mention when I got the car the very first thing I did was take it in to get an oil change. The shop told me that the oil filter was from 2008 and I got the car last year in 2012...I wanted to slap my dad so hard for doing such a poor job taking care of this car!)

Up to this point I have replace all 4 motor mounts, CV Joints, Valve Covers, and the Knock Sensor and a few miscellaneous hoses.

I know have some money budgeted to replace the suspension for the front and the back. What would you guys recomend that I do... Get the quick replacement kits for each wheel or get new shocks and struts and re-use the springs and what not?

I also, if its possible, to make the suspension a little firmer. I don't like the "Grandma" feel to the suspension. Is there a certain type of suspension that is stiffer than another that is around the same price as OE parts?

All help will be great as I am planning to do the work in the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 08-23-13, 03:56 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with KYB struts. They offer a little bit of a firm ride. The springs are probably still good but not expensive to replace. I am going to bet that the Sway bar end links and bushings are spent and could need lower control arm bushings if the oil leaks soaked them. Is the engine full of sludge? I have seen some nasty sludge build up in well maintained 1MZ's so if yours is clean it is a proverbial miracle. Often bad motor mounts will take out the flex pipe in no time and also can cause trans cooler lines to leak as well. Speaking of transmission fluid, did it have DEX/MERC III in the power steering? Often times even well seasoned mechanics will use standard power steering fluid in the system not having read the cap. Lastly if the engine has sludge one sign is a leaking rear main seal as the sludge can block static oil flow to the rear main seal and cause it to burn the seal.

Hope this puts you on the right track.
Old 08-23-13, 05:15 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I would reconsider all the repairs after doing a thorough look at all the car's potential problems. A complete suspension overhaul could get you another 98 ES300 with less miles and better condition. Think about it.