ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1992 es300 questions on dash lights, misfire

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 06:06 PM
acaines
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1992 es300 questions on dash lights, misfire

my car has had a misfire since i got it a few weeks ago. since then it developed a horrible oil leak, which i replaced the oil pressure sending unit and oil filter housing gasket to start off, fixing the leak. the misfire only happens sometimes. like itll go two days without doing it, and then the third and fourth day it comes back. and sometimes the engine shakes harder than other times? so maybe its not even a misfire. but if it is, i was told there could be oil getting on the spark plugs (which were all just replaced as well as plug wires, valve cover gaskets, and distributor cap in the last year) so.. is that a possibility that thats whats causing it to misfire? if so thats okay cause spark plugs are easy to replace right?
and also, the needles on the rpm gauge and mph gauge dont light up anymore and so its black on black and hard to see what the speed or rpms are. do i have to replace the whole panel?
Old 08-06-13, 09:52 AM
DGIKULJOT
Rookie

Originally Posted by acaines
my car has had a misfire since i got it a few weeks ago. since then it developed a horrible oil leak, which i replaced the oil pressure sending unit and oil filter housing gasket to start off, fixing the leak. the misfire only happens sometimes. like itll go two days without doing it, and then the third and fourth day it comes back. and sometimes the engine shakes harder than other times? so maybe its not even a misfire. but if it is, i was told there could be oil getting on the spark plugs (which were all just replaced as well as plug wires, valve cover gaskets, and distributor cap in the last year) so.. is that a possibility that thats whats causing it to misfire? if so thats okay cause spark plugs are easy to replace right?
and also, the needles on the rpm gauge and mph gauge dont light up anymore and so its black on black and hard to see what the speed or rpms are. do i have to replace the whole panel?
For the intermit misfire a huge possibility is that the air intake tube is cracked. Randomly when the engine flexes a bit the tube could let air pass through that crack causing a lean condition. It could also and or be your air fuel ratio sensors. IS your check engine light on?

To check the intake tube just start at the air filter housing and follow the tube all the way to the throttle body lookign for any cracks.

ALso if check engine light is on you wll have to use the OBD 1 methods to retrieve the codes.
Keep us updated
Old 08-06-13, 11:20 AM
acaines
Driver School Candidate

Check engine light is not on, and i thought it could be the air intake tube but i already checked and it had no cracks.