ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Trac Off And CEL 2000 Es300

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-13, 09:30 AM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac Off And CEL 2000 Es300

Hello im glad to join club lexus. I took a trip this past weekend in my 2000 ES300 and about 200 miles in both of my lights came on indicating that somethings wrong with a sensor well today i pluged the OBD II tester in and came up with these two error codes P1135 , air/fuel ratio sensor heater circut malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor ), The second code i got was P0171 System to lean bank 1 (Cylinder 1 Denotes Bank 1) Ive been trying to find out were i should start i would appreciate if anyone has any suggestions or ideas whats going on, also any ideas that would help before i start dropping money on unneeded parts like cleaning any sensors like the MAF or check the o2 sensors im kinda new to working on lexus/Toyotas i just got first lexus 1 1/2 months ago so this is going to be the first work im doing to the es300 so if anyone could point me in a direction to get started i would really appreciate it!!!!
Old 07-30-13, 11:23 AM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Anyone help please!
Old 07-30-13, 12:30 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Reset the codes and drive around. If the codes reappear, take the bank 2 sensor and swap it with bank 1. It's a bit tricky to remove bank 1 but it's cheaper than dumping possibly unneeded money on a new sensor.
Old 07-30-13, 01:36 PM
80ramirez
Driver School Candidate

When I got the P0171 code with my Track Off light on, I changed out the MAF sensor. It's been 2 months and no codes have apeared. Not sure about the other code.
Old 07-30-13, 02:57 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Bank one

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Reset the codes and drive around. If the codes reappear, take the bank 2 sensor and swap it with bank 1. It's a bit tricky to remove bank 1 but it's cheaper than dumping possibly unneeded money on a new sensor.
Is bank one the one located on the firewall? Possible photos?
Old 07-30-13, 03:11 PM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Default Maf

Originally Posted by 80ramirez
When I got the P0171 code with my Track Off light on, I changed out the MAF sensor. It's been 2 months and no codes have apeared. Not sure about the other code.
That's going to be my second decision once I switch out and test a few things I'm actually thinking about pulling the MAF sensor and checking cleaning it
Old 07-30-13, 05:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rich8692
Is bank one the one located on the firewall? Possible photos?
Yes Bank 1 is by the firewall, unfortunately. Look down at the exhaust manifold and you should see a wire going down. The wire goes to the O2 sensor. I was able to remove it from underneath the car, but some people have done it from above, not sure how though.

Last edited by Hayk; 07-31-13 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-31-13, 10:57 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Based on my limited experience, I would attempt to fix it by taking the following steps one at a time then checking for malfunctions before proceeding to the following step. Your problem is probably the MAF or the AF sensors. Hard to tell which one it is.

1) Clean the MAF
2) Replace the bank 1, sensor 1 A/F sensor. (P0171) (This would be my second step because they tend to go bad starting at about 100K miles. If you are wrong, you just replaced a part that you will eventually have to replace) (or you can do as MrBooby suggests in post number 3 above. The wires are different lengths so that's the tricky part he is talking about. Oops, I just saw that on the 2000 the sensors are the same so the wires would be the same length)
3) Replace the MAF

Keep in mind that for the sensor error codes to activate the CEL there have to be two cycles in a row generating an error but the vsv light should come on after one cycle and a pending code present. Also the engine has to warm up about 5 minutes before the engine starts using the data from the sensors. So you won't get a CEL or VSC light until then.

Last edited by tomf; 07-31-13 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 05:54 AM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomf
Based on my limited experience, I would attempt to fix it by taking the following steps one at a time then checking for malfunctions before proceeding to the following step. Your problem is probably the MAF or the AF sensors. Hard to tell which one it is.

1) Clean the MAF
2) Replace the bank 1, sensor 1 A/F sensor. (P0171) (This would be my second step because they tend to go bad starting at about 100K miles. If you are wrong, you just replaced a part that you will eventually have to replace) (or you can do as MrBooby suggests in post number 3 above. The wires are different lengths so that's the tricky part he is talking about. Oops, I just saw that on the 2000 the sensors are the same so the wires would be the same length)
3) Replace the MAF

Keep in mind that for the sensor error codes to activate the CEL there have to be two cycles in a row generating an error but the vsv light should come on after one cycle and a pending code present. Also the engine has to warm up about 5 minutes before the engine starts using the data from the sensors. So you won't get a CEL or VSC light until then.

I Orderd a bank 1 sensor 1 O2 Sensor Thursday just checked and it will arrive at my house today, im definitely going to clean the MAF, how should i go about cleaning it once i remove it, also is their something i should look for on my o2 sensor ( the one in the car) how to tell if its bad or going bad?
Old 08-06-13, 04:16 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Buy some MAF cleaner at an auto parts store. Spray on the sensor to clean. I also used a q-tip but be careful that you don't damage the sensor. It's pretty easy.

Probably no indication of a bad O2 sensor just by looking at it.
Old 08-06-13, 04:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Please make sure you're using the correct Denso OE sensor, before you go ahead and replace anything.
Old 08-07-13, 09:15 AM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

I cleaned the mass airflow sensor it was fairly clean the one half was greased up and was pretty clean. I'm having a problem breaking the o2 sensor loose I rentend the sockets from advanced auto parts have a few different shaped wrenches, this thing will not budge I've tryed heating it, taking it off different positions and with different tools I'm having no luck and I'm not ready to give up yet any other suggestions I've read everything possible online and have tryed it all I'm just getting frustrated.
Old 08-07-13, 12:11 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Soak the O2 sensor with penetrating oil. My favorite is Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil
http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_text_y
because it works better than anything else I've tried. The down side is it is kind of expensive.

When I did mine, I ended up using a short, 9.5 inch, breaker bar (similar to this
http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Breaker-With-Flex-Handle/dp/B004KAFWU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Breaker-With-Flex-Handle/dp/B004KAFWU4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
) from underneath the car with an O2 sensor wrench like this one
http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648691-Oxygen-Sensor-Offset/dp/B00390BS7C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648691-Oxygen-Sensor-Offset/dp/B00390BS7C/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
. Another thing you can do is run the engine to heat the sensor. If you do that you need to be careful that you don't burn yourself.

My personal opinion is the best thing to do is to soak with penetrating oil, specifically Kano Aerokroil. I'm not affiliated with them in any way. It just works great.

Last edited by tomf; 08-07-13 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added breaker bar link
Old 08-07-13, 01:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I remember doing the same thing as tomf has suggested. I also remember hitting my knuckles on the cross member...
Old 08-12-13, 05:31 AM
Rich8692
Driver School Candidate

Ive been trying sense last monday to get this sensor off, with the time i have in between my two jobs... Iv'e done everything suggested plus that i researched, the problem is its so tight i barley have any leverage room to move the breaker bar, if i could get it on a lift i could have it off in mins but thats really not an option right now. so im trying to convince my buddy to have his shop/boss charge me like 60 dollars to take it off for me but untill then i dont know what to do, i have been wondering what will this sensor do being damaged and still driving the car back and fourth to work im not to sure with toyota motors this is my first

Quick Reply: Trac Off And CEL 2000 Es300