ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

the dreaded P0441 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-13, 11:42 AM
1960vw
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the dreaded P0441 code

My 2001 ES300 with 135,000 miles recently popped up with light and this code. I know the parameters of what it involves, just trying to pinpoint if possible by giving you symptoms. Here goes. No Swoosh sound from gas tank when I went to fill up. Also , it cranked over a little longer than normal just immediate after fill up. Cranks and start ok now. I'm leaning towards a vacuum hose issue. It has new gas cap. What do you guys think?
Old 08-20-13, 10:36 AM
1960vw
Rookie

144 lookers but no ideas?
Old 08-20-13, 11:54 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow OBD-II

Trouble Code Technical Description Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow

What does that mean?

This indicates that a part of the EVAP control system is no longer functioning correctly. The EVAP system consists of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines, carbon canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel system. Fuel vapors are routed by hoses to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is running a purge control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors into the engine. EVAP emission canister purge is controlled by a valve which allows engine vacuum to pull stored fuel vapors from fuel tank into the engine to be burned, rather than be vented to atmosphere. A vacuum switch is used to detect when flow exists. If the PCM commands purge and sees that the switch is closed (indicating no detected purge flow) P0441 is set.

Symptoms

Likely, no symptoms will be discernible to the driver, other than the illuminated Check Engine Light.

Causes

A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened: Bad vacuum switch Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister Open in PCM purge command circuit Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid Faulty purge solenoid Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister Corrosion or resistance in purge connector Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times.
Here are some things to try:
Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid Repair open in PCM purge command circuit Replace purge Solenoid Replace vacuum switch Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or solenoid Repair resistance in purge connector Replace PCM

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com
Old 08-21-13, 10:07 PM
Ickey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car throws the same error. Checked the gas cap gasket. Took it to my mechanic and he did a smoke test and some other tests to check all the hoses; no leaks. Then he said it could be one of 4 vacuum switches. He replaced two, then we crossed our fingers. Unfortunately the light came back on. So I need to go back and replace the other two ($250 out the door w/ labor & parts).

My only hope is that when I replace the other two, the light will go off. My biggest concern is that the issue is in the charcoal canister. That's not a cheap fix.
Old 08-22-13, 09:57 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah ~200$-ish part but pain in the butt to get to.

Originally Posted by Ickey
My car throws the same error. Checked the gas cap gasket. Took it to my mechanic and he did a smoke test and some other tests to check all the hoses; no leaks. Then he said it could be one of 4 vacuum switches. He replaced two, then we crossed our fingers. Unfortunately the light came back on. So I need to go back and replace the other two ($250 out the door w/ labor & parts).

My only hope is that when I replace the other two, the light will go off. My biggest concern is that the issue is in the charcoal canister. That's not a cheap fix.
Old 08-22-13, 08:15 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two things I look into when I run into an EVAP code on anything. Do you top off the tank at fill up (keep pumping after the handle clicks)? Have you ever? Sometimes even doing this once can fill the long purge line with a hard to suck out slug of gas. Easy fix. Remove the line and blow it out. The other thing is to look really carefully at the vacuum lines. Often times they can be cracked in a way that they only leak when the engine torques slightly in its mounts. As for the VSV's going bad this can also be caused by being soaked in gas (topping off).

Hope this helps you out... good luck!
Old 08-24-13, 08:57 PM
1960vw
Rookie

Good idea Myth! I'll give it a try.
Old 10-26-13, 07:54 PM
1960vw
Rookie

Hey Myth, sorry took so long to post but your idea worked! Purged that overflow hose soon after your post , cleared codes and now no more light! Thanks bunches for the tip !!!
Old 11-06-13, 08:12 PM
Mythotical
Pole Position

No problem, it's what I do... Sorry I took so long, I have been taking on a lot of side jobs to save up for home improvement. I am blessed with a large space to fix cars in my spare time where I work so I have been buried.
Old 11-07-13, 04:41 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-17-13, 08:49 PM
fast20
Driver School Candidate

Wow that a great video and really will be helpful to me, Thank You

Frank
Old 10-28-14, 10:00 AM
razis123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Purge the overflow hose?

Originally Posted by 1960vw
Hey Myth, sorry took so long to post but your idea worked! Purged that overflow hose soon after your post , cleared codes and now no more light! Thanks bunches for the tip !!!
How can I Purge the overflow hose? I got the CEl and Trac-off the same day I put gas and did a top-off.....wonder what made me do that
I want to try this option first but want to know the steps and location where to find all those parts.
Thanks
Old 10-30-14, 03:38 PM
1960vw
Rookie

Run a compressor air hose in the small hole in your filler neck. I just use an air blower with a push button on/off for a about a minute. You should hear a sound change from stuffy to open loose air, thats what sounded like to me.
Old 02-16-15, 07:37 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Sorry to bring up this old thread but I just wanted to share what I discovered and how I happened to fix my P0441 code:

So I was dreading the prospects of servicing the darn Charcoal canister as depicted in the above video and thought it was below the gas tank in the rear of the Chassis, like a Camry, NOT. To my surprise it was not there. WTD???

Okay so I pulled out my Haynes and found the Canister is in fact in the engine bay. Oh the joy.

Any was reading on the diagnostic chapter 6 to only discover the Air pump canister under the battery and tested it both way, GOOD. F0or some strange reason I thought maybe the vacuum lines are old and brittle. So I inspected all the vacuum lines and VOILA!

There she be, one lonely vacuum line with no mate :-o via hardline to the air pump canister.

Cleared code and crossing my fingers, For extra measure I also blew hi-pressure air thru the over flow tubes in the gas fill and new gas cap. I am thinking this loose vacuum line was the main culprit.

Thanks all for guiding me to the proper direction!

Jim
Old 03-23-15, 03:37 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Update:

Well it appears the hose was part of it. I swapped the VSV with a known good one. No Joy. So I checked the Vacuum canister per Haynes. Blew air thru port B, JOY Blew thru port A, AIR = NO JOY.

Went to Pick a Part, $17.56 later. Installed a verified good Vacuum Canister..

CAUTION, even though the used one may operate properly, if it rattles, it is failing inside and will soon loose vacuum. Get one that does not rattle.

Quick Reply: the dreaded P0441 code