ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

radio replacement saga

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 11:14 AM
sblock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry radio replacement saga

I am replacing the OEM radio/6 cd change on my 2006 ES 330, which is broken. I had first sought to get a more up-to-date after market radio with bluetooth and ipod ports. I bought an Alpine radio and ordered the Metra replacement faceplate with a double din opening for $25. The Metra faceplate comes with an insert compartment to sit below a single din aftermarket radio to fill the double din space. But when the Metra part arrived, I was not satisfied that the color of the Metra faceplate. The color of the Metra product was not the same as the OEM parts and it would look much darker when sitting next to the OEM faceplate for the temperature control that it aligned up next to. So, I went to a Lexus dealer and purchased an OEM faceplate with an opening for navigation, expecting that the opening would be the same size as the Metra opening with a tray insert Unfortunately, the Lexus faceplate for the navigation opening is much wider than the standard Metra opening. The after market radio I purchased, even a new double din radio, would be too small to fit into the width of the opening for the Lexus navigation face plate.

So, left with no other alternative, and and still needing a new replacement radio, I purchased a used Lexus ES 330 radio from a salvage company and will install that instead.

Here is a picture comparing the Metra faceplate with the Lexus navigation faceplate. You can see that the color is not the same, and the texture of the Metra faceplate is really inferior to the Lexus. However, you can also compare the size of the opening of the two faceplates and see the problem in using the Lexus navigation faceplate for a single or double din aftermarket radio.
Attached Thumbnails radio replacement saga-metra-on-left-and-lexus-on-right.jpg