ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1999 Lexus es300

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 03:30 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 1999 Lexus es300 Idles great, having trouble with accelerating and runs real rough

I recently bought a 1999 Lexus es300. And I really got burned too. The guy told me that it ran fine and had no problems, and it did for one day.. Now that I get it home it will hardly run at all. Of course it didn't start messing up until after I bought it. I am going to go see what codes pop up, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what it might could be since I know there are a lot of experts on here.
The problem is simple.. It idles fine... but , when I give it gas, then it hesitate, bogs down and will die if I don't let off the accelerator. I can baby it and press gently on and off and this will let me go down the road.., . but it still will not run right.. it just will not accelerate at all... oh.. except in neutral. But, it still bogs down if I push down on the pedal to try and rev the rpms. I read some posts and decided to change out the OCV solenoids (both banks) And I cleaned the filters.. I will probably need to go hook it up before I do anything else.. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion.. Was kind of hoping for an easy fix. It's my only vehicle and the auto parts store is 15 miles away. It's a little difficult to push it that far lol

thanks for your time and inputs..
LIV

Last edited by LoganIV; 06-24-13 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 03:45 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get codes first, pull at least 1 spark plug and inspect. There are a great many things that can cause the issue you are having. Clogged fuel filter, failing fuel pump, unmetered air getting in, clogged catalytic converter... need to take this one step at a time.
Old 06-24-13, 12:15 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Default Codes..

Okay I went to Autozone and they hooked it up and these codes came out...

P1354

VVT Malfunction bank 2

PROBABLE causes
aa1 valve timing off
aa2 blocked oil passage
aa3 failed control valve
aa4 electrical circuit fault

Well, I have cleaned the MAF sensor, I have checked the IACV and cleaned it.. just for fun.. I replaced the VVT solenoid (bank 2), I cleaned the filter as well.. I didnt notice any sludge or bad oil.. the oil looks to be okay... So... NOW what? I really need to try and find the culprit today if possible.. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Oh FYI.. just in case this helps.. the Engine light and TRAC OFF lights keep coming on even after I reset.. also the Taillight indicator is on as well but I do not have any lights that are not working. Is my problem in the PCM?
Old 06-24-13, 01:33 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Just to verify, the OCV you replaced is the one located closest to the front of the car?
Old 06-24-13, 04:27 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomf
Just to verify, the OCV you replaced is the one located closest to the front of the car?
Actually, I replaced both front and back.. or left and right... or bank 1 bank 2 depending on what you want to call them. And cleaned both filters. I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter next... It probably needs it anyway... The car runs fine most of the time.. it just has no power, and has acceleration issues, and sometimes it will not shift into overdrive. I have found if I just give it a little gas .. just barely.. it will do okay... but other than that, it bogs down and i can hear what sounds like .. well it reminds me of when I had a four barrel carb and when you romped on the gas it would make that sound. I wish I knew how to explain it...
Old 06-24-13, 04:52 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The bulb detection is problematic, it works off resistance so I wouldn't worry about that at the moment. Pull the front valve cover and have a look.
Old 06-26-13, 03:03 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Okay.. I took off the Valve cover.. I was actually surprised at how clean it was inside.
Old 06-26-13, 03:08 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Default Valve cover off...

Okay I took off the valve cover.. you can see the results in the photos.. Not sure why they won't show up on here.... anyone know how to do that?

http://www.mediafire.com/view/knfvsx...625_200726.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/gx7p1l...625_200709.jpg

Anyway.. Also changed the oil. The car drives okay.. but the check engine light still on... Trac off still on... Shifts in Overdrive when it feels like it.. also no power at all.. cannot accelerate faster than that of an 85 year old driver. It just acts like its being flooded........ Could this be a computer related malfunction?? COuld it be the fuel pump??? Should I go to a different auto place and do another diagnostic?

Anyone???
Old 06-26-13, 03:20 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Solution: Share -> Embed - > Direct Link -> Wrap in IMG tags and post

I just did a quick search for P1354 and found this information
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...354-and-p1349/
Old 06-26-13, 03:26 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

OCV is such a common problem on Lexus(s)
Old 06-26-13, 05:55 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoganIV
Anyway.. Also changed the oil. The car drives okay.. but the check engine light still on... Trac off still on... Shifts in Overdrive when it feels like it.. also no power at all.. cannot accelerate faster than that of an 85 year old driver. It just acts like its being flooded........ Could this be a computer related malfunction?? COuld it be the fuel pump??? Should I go to a different auto place and do another diagnostic?

Anyone???
Sounds like you are in limp mode. Limp mode allows you to drive but not aggessively so you don't do any damage to the engine because of whatever problem you have.

Still sounds like you have a bad OCV. Are you sure you got the correct one? Did you buy OE or third party?
Old 06-26-13, 06:00 PM
tomf
Lead Lap

Did you reset the MIL after replacing the OCV? Maybe the ECM hasn't detected the change. If you clear the error code you will leave limp mode until the problem is detected again.
Old 06-26-13, 07:30 PM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Okay... I did take the negative post off the battery to reset the MIL but the Chck Eng / Trac Off came back on. . I noticed today that the lights actually went off for a bit when I was driving home.. but then came back on and still have the same accel. problems. I bought the VVT/OCVs from O'reilly autoparts. They were DORMAN 917-211 and 917-214 . I am thinking it may be a problem in the plug or wiring that connects to the solenoid. Maybe a burnt wire or something... Is there any way to check this with a meter to see if it is functioning normally?
Old 06-28-13, 09:53 AM
LoganIV
Driver School Candidate

Default New codes now

okay.. well I went back and had the CEL checked.. Now its saying too rich on bank 1 side.

Possible causes

vacuum leaks..
fuel filter
fuel pump
numerous things it could be.......

I will start going down the list I guess..
Old 04-17-24, 08:48 AM
xxjbudxx
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LoganIV
I recently bought a 1999 Lexus es300. And I really got burned too. The guy told me that it ran fine and had no problems, and it did for one day.. Now that I get it home it will hardly run at all. Of course it didn't start messing up until after I bought it. I am going to go see what codes pop up, but I was just wondering if anyone knew what it might could be since I know there are a lot of experts on here.
The problem is simple.. It idles fine... but , when I give it gas, then it hesitate, bogs down and will die if I don't let off the accelerator. I can baby it and press gently on and off and this will let me go down the road.., . but it still will not run right.. it just will not accelerate at all... oh.. except in neutral. But, it still bogs down if I push down on the pedal to try and rev the rpms. I read some posts and decided to change out the OCV solenoids (both banks) And I cleaned the filters.. I will probably need to go hook it up before I do anything else.. I was just wondering if anyone had a suggestion.. Was kind of hoping for an easy fix. It's my only vehicle and the auto parts store is 15 miles away. It's a little difficult to push it that far lol

thanks for your time and inputs..
LIV
catalytic converter? Every Toyota I’ve ever owned eventually had issues with the cat clogging, partially or even completely.