ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-13, 10:55 PM
jaxtheax
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade?

I've been thinking about upgrading the brakes on my ES300, but i had questions before i go buy the parts.

First heres my idea for the setup:
Front:
Supra TT rotors
LS400 Calipers

Rear:
Cross drilled rotors

Any more ideas? im not really sure what else i should do for the rear brakes.
also i think that i might need to get bigger wheels, but i dont know which size.
Has anyone else done this?
Old 06-23-13, 06:35 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

im running supra rotors, u will need some brackets from ASG14 on the forum
Old 06-23-13, 12:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

From a quick and easy search...
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Your calipers are single piston. You can upgrade to dual piston by using the calipers from a 1991-1992 LS400 , and the caliper brackets and brake pads from a 1995-1996 Camry V6.
But that requires sourcing parts from multiple cars so if you want a simple and quick job, just buy the single piston stock replacement.

BTW any parts store worth their salt will easily be able to tell you what the correct parts are for your car.
Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Yes.

The upgrade is very straightforward, here's what you will need.
  • LS400 calipers (1991-1992)
  • Camry V6/ES300 caliper brackets (1995-1996)
    Camry V6/ES300 brake pads (1992-1996)
Just swap out all the parts and bleed the brakes, that's it. The one slightly odd thing is you will be putting the left side LS400 caliper onto the right side of the car, and vice versa. This is because the LS400 caliper is on the back side of the rotor, the ES300 on the front side. So to make it work you just swap left/right.

The only issue I had was the brake line on the banjo end hits the caliper (the aluminum sleeve part of the line) making it impossible to tighten the banjo bolt properly. To fix this, I filed the aluminum edge down, it didn't take much I removed maybe 1mm or a so of material. It doesn't affect the line in anyway you are just filing down the outer area of the sleeve. Might be possible to just bend the line, but I didn't want to do that and risk breaking it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-93-es300.html
Old 06-23-13, 05:31 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This question is asked from time to time, for you and other that might search for this later:

I know you might not want to hear this, but there isn't really a reason to "upgrade" we have a tame street car here, it is a Lexus ES300 unless you are the only ES in the country doing road course track days you do not need "upgraded" brakes. I know you are thinking more pistons, larger rotors etc. gives you "better brakes" but it does not quite work that way. The drilled rotors are probably the worst offenders, they look great but are a downgrade.

Big Supra rotors on your ES are going to be a sort of waste. Supra TT is a big heavy car with lots of power and brakes sized for a few laps around a track so it has a big heavy rotor. Putting those rotors on your ES is adding needless unsprung weight. You'll never heat that big rotor up in a slow ES, and your ride will suffer a bit with a heavy rotor.

You might be just upgrading for looks, in that case the slotted or drilled rotors will be fine, perhaps paint or powdercoat the calipers, make them look nice. Use a good rotor with the electroplated surfaces that won't rust right away. I like Centric stuff, they own StopTech and market the Powerslot brands those are all good stuff. There is a Centric High Carbon rotor available for our car, if you want a true rotor upgrade for a couple more bucks per rotor those are good. Hope that helps!
Old 08-30-14, 07:03 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Big Brake Upgrade

Bumping and old thread here, but I just completed the swap to dual piston calipers on my Solara today (same OE brake setup as 3 ES).

I used calipers, brackets and pads from a third gen Camry (1996), and it just bolts right up on the steering knuckle.

Here's a video on how I did it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIHQ-3eNw4g

Here's what the upgraded calipers look like:

And the difference between the stock pads and the upgraded pads:

Overall braking is much improved. The pedal feels soft in the beginning third of its travel and it doesn't grab as instantly as the single piston calipers. But when you press the pedal harder the braking force is much greater, which will be noticed more at higher speeds.
Old 08-30-14, 11:34 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Bumping and old thread here, but I just completed the swap to dual piston calipers on my Solara today (same OE brake setup as 3 ES).

I used calipers, brackets and pads from a third gen Camry (1996), and it just bolts right up on the steering knuckle.

Here's a video on how I did it:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIHQ-3eNw4g

Here's what the upgraded calipers look like:

And the difference between the stock pads and the upgraded pads:

Overall braking is much improved. The pedal feels soft in the beginning third of its travel and it doesn't grab as instantly as the single piston calipers. But when you press the pedal harder the braking force is much greater, which will be noticed more at higher speeds.
Nice upgrade. That's a lot more pad surface area.

I painted my calipers black with a thin coat of high heat paint, as they had a mottled gray appearance. They look better now.
I replaced the front rotors 3 years ago and I really wish I had bought rotors with coated rotor hat and edges, as they both became rusty in short order. I also painted the rotor hat with the high heat paint, and it looks better than the surface rust that was there before. Need to do the edges too.
Old 08-30-14, 11:38 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
The drilled rotors are probably the worst offenders, they look great but are a downgrade.
Agreed, weaker and prone to vibrate while braking.