ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY: Lexus ES330 V6 Spark Plug Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-13, 01:11 PM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1MZ and 3MZ are different engines and have different plenums. Some models ain't necessary if you got the right tools.
Old 12-30-13, 10:07 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

even the FSM on the 1mzfe mentions about removing the plenum for rear sparkplug removal. I was referring to being creative (using special tools) and not following the convention methods. i would give kudos to the mechanic who did this in my case. the toyota dealer was asking a high quote following the fsm procedures when i was shopping.
Old 12-31-13, 07:00 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
even the FSM on the 1mzfe mentions about removing the plenum for rear sparkplug removal. I was referring to being creative (using special tools) and not following the convention methods. i would give kudos to the mechanic who did this in my case. the toyota dealer was asking a high quote following the fsm procedures when i was shopping.
The 1MZ-FE on your 1999 ES300 uses a metal plenum that has sufficent space to access the rear plugs with the correct sockets and extensions. Please see this thread on how I replaced the spark plugs on my 1MZ:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...e-3-0l-v6.html

The 3MZ-FE and newer 1MZ-FE (from the 4th gen ES) use a plastic intake plenum. There is not enough space in the engine bay to reach behind the plenum to access the plugs. I tried, review the pictures and videos in the first post for proof
Old 01-07-14, 07:44 PM
DamianYung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great diy speedkar, thanks.
Old 05-26-14, 05:34 PM
Russelltw
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the diy. Switched out my coils and spark plugs (since I was there) after getting the P0305 error. Everything is back together and no extra parts left over (good thing)! CEL is clear and car is running smooth again. Love this forum.
Old 06-07-14, 06:55 PM
Eddy8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for this great DIY and this is my first time doing it.

Please make sure you change your gasket and PCV valve else like me i got two Check Engine lights.

P0171
P0174

Other than that, make sure all tubes are connected correctly and tight.

Btw, mom and pop mechanic shops want to charge me $600+ for taking care of the check engine lights. I told them a big "NO THANKS". Then they start scaring me that things will get worst and the parts I used are fake and will break in a few month even I am using genuine Toyota parts. They said theirs are Lexus parts which is right part....I laughed and move on.

Another note, make sure both ends of PCV valve are securely tighten since it will get loose when you start putting the intake together.

Thanks again for the easy to follow DIY and I saved hundreds by doing it over the weekend for this project.
Old 06-07-14, 07:55 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eddy8
Thanks for this great DIY and this is my first time doing it.
Glad everything worked out for you . So I assume you got the codes because you didn't replace the plenum gasket?
Old 06-09-14, 04:45 AM
Eddy8
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Glad everything worked out for you . So I assume you got the codes because you didn't replace the plenum gasket?
Yeah...i forgot this part and PCV valve...:P

I was doing a major work with this car within a day (9 hours): change brakes pads; flush all fluids (brake, stering,engine, coolant, ATF) ; change filters (cabin, engine and oil); change spark plugs; clean MAF and throttle and then wash the car.

This weekend DIY job saves me at least $2K to $3K depending where I plan to do my job (mom&pop mechanic or dealership)

Now the car drives like new again...
Old 07-11-14, 04:59 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Just did plugs today on my 2002 ES300
I took off the plenum - its the plastic one and my hands are not small enough to try to work around it. Overall - not incredibly difficult - just take your time. The only real pain in the *** are the 3 bolts holding the plenum to the brackets on the firewall side. I had the ratchet box wrenches but they where not the swivel type. I believe removing and then reinstalling these 3 bolts took the majority of the time. I did change the plenum gasket as well - mine was the smaller type - black one - not the orange one shown in the post
Old 07-15-14, 05:37 AM
kwonmy
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine Stalling at Idle with AC on

Engine stalls at idle with AC or Heat on. Does not happen all the time, maybe half the time. Also with the AC on, experience some hesitation in gear shifting.. and acceleration not very smooth.. like engine is starving for oxygen. Without Heat or AC on, no problems what so ever. Mechanic at the dealer thinks it's the "air flow vlave" that's sticking and suggested replacing the throttle body ($1500 job). Would what the OP did (cleaning throttle body, replacing gasket for air plenum, replacing spark plug, etc) solve the problem I'm having? My car's 2004 ES330 with 130K miles.
Old 08-17-14, 09:57 AM
allstock
Driver School Candidate

Great right up and video Speedkar. This forum needs more men like you. Maybe it's due to the fact that lexus makes pretty reliable cars, but I think it's also the fact the average owner doesn't know how to remove bay covers.
Old 08-17-14, 06:54 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by allstock
Great right up and video Speedkar. This forum needs more men like you. Maybe it's due to the fact that lexus makes pretty reliable cars, but I think it's also the fact the average owner doesn't know how to remove bay covers.
Thanks allstock

At least it helps that our cars are based on the Camry, which make repairs and maintenance like this cheap and parts readily available.
Old 08-17-14, 07:20 PM
allstock
Driver School Candidate

You betcha, I had to come over here from the es350 side. Strange phenomenon, a lot of TALK about DIY over there, but doesn't seem like they ever follow through. I'm also on an A4 forum and there's mad DIYs over there. Probably cuz different factors, cost, reliability and a lot of them are modders. You did it right by buying a service manual, I think I may need one too now.
Old 09-28-14, 06:14 AM
Deal
Driver School Candidate

Thanks OP, I was going to let my mechanic do the job until I watched your video.
Old 11-16-14, 02:19 PM
mikek753
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question I need to prepare for this DIY ...

hello,

I'm average DIY for my family cars only. I replaced spark plugs on my CR-V multiple times, but for ES330 I'll do it 1st time.
I'd appreciate your answers and guidance.

when you clean throttle, did you turn ON engine to get air intake?
when you clean by brush around plate, was engine OFF, but gas pedal full floor position only?
Do you recommend to use 3M 08963 Fuel System Tune-Up Kit for intake cleaning? or just carb cleaner?

Do I need to lube orange / red gasket before install and by what?

Did you use Dialectic Grease? And for what part and how?

What spark plugs to buy and from where? What is the part #?
the same for PCV and gasket?

I estimate it may take me 4-8 hours - is it right for 1st time?

thanks

Quick Reply: DIY: Lexus ES330 V6 Spark Plug Replacement