ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

my ES is noisy

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 02:33 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default my ES is noisy

Its starting to drive me nuts, both front and rear suspension seem to make a racket in my car. Sharp bumps make a sort of clunking noise up front and similar from the rear.

So far I have:
replaced struts, entirely new parts, springs mounts everything
removed Whiteline sway bars swapped back to stock with new stock bushings, end links are new
Checked/retighten all strut parts
Checked vehicle on lift, no ball joint play, bushings worn but nothing torn

I think I have replaced all the typical problem stuff. Perhaps there is something rattling that is not suspension related. Maybe I need to just start replacing arms until I find the problem. Maybe the suspension is tight at full droop on the lift but there are some bad bushings anyways. I should also mention that I seem to have "sway" in the rear end over bumps as well.

I am reluctant to just replace stuff blindly since the aftermarket parts are suspect quality, I'd want to use OEM parts.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 05-31-13, 02:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey, I know we have the same suspension and I've been dealing with a "suspension" noise for a while, so I thought I'd chime in. I have yet to confirm my solution, but I am 90% positive that the front end noise/rattle is coming from my main catalytic converter. The exhaust pipe will be getting replaced next week, so I'll let you know how that goes.

I was also convinced that the noise was coming from my suspension, but neither me nor the mechanic could find anything loose. He finally decided to check the exhaust and heard some rattling on the inside - confirmed by me.
Old 05-31-13, 03:13 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

My fronts are quite and I have replaced nothing but the struts and the away bad end links, on the back I've replaced the struts, the mounts with kybs, end links, sway hard bushings, and I'm still gettig a noise from time to time. I can't remember how quite the car was new, but I doubt it was as loud as it is now.
Old 05-31-13, 04:53 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have yet to find a solution for the rear end clunk in my 3es.

I've replaced EVERYTHING in the rear, (i.e. struts and hardware, suspension arms and links, bushings, swaybar).

I'm thinking the source of the clunk is either in the exhaust or emergency brakes.
Old 05-31-13, 07:27 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Thanks for the ideas guys, it is disheartening to hear that replacing suspension parts is not the solution in many cases. I might have to go back on the lift and pound stuff with a rubber hammer to figure it out.

Originally Posted by MrBooby
He finally decided to check the exhaust and heard some rattling on the inside - confirmed by me.
Interesting, let me know how this works out. We both have CA emissions version I believe so our front pipe is the same maybe this version is prone to rattle/noise.
Old 06-12-13, 08:08 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Trying to keep this thread updated as I chase the noises down. I put the car on the lift today and spent a couple hours troubleshooting. I've decided to focus on the front noise for now, try to solve one problem at a time. Trying to find a clunk in the right front wheel area, hear it over sharp bumps. Cannot reproduce shaking and bouncing car, I was even standing on the radiator support today bouncing up and down and cannot hear a noise.

Results still inconclusive, there isn't anything obvious wrong. I feel I have ruled out:

Ball joints - they have a little grease oozing out but I levered on them good with a crowbar they are solid
Tie-rods - solid no play
End links/sway bar - all recently replaced parts and tight
Exhaust - Shook on mounts and whacked with rubber malett, no bad sounds
Subframe mounts - Look good shape and not too much deflection when levered.
Engine mounts - All look good and checked out fine with crowbar, tested brake torquing in reverse and drive with hood open engine doesn't move too much, no clunks.
Wheel bearings - No play and no bad bearing noise when driving.

The possibilities:

Control arm bushings - The rear bushings are showing age and surface has dry cracks but still fully attached and not split. I levered on it a bit plenty of deflection but no contact. I don't know if I can completely rule them out though.
Strut mount - Struts are newly assembled, I've re-tightened the top nuts, can't use an impact to be sure it is very tight because of the AVS wire, though noise was there with old Tokico struts too. Strut mounts are KYB brand, could be defective. Don't think it is a problem, but not ruled out.
Brake Calipers - these make a noise when pounded on maybe a little loose. The calipers have seen better days, inside pads aren't contacting the rotor much, I am collecting the parts to do a full brake job with calipers rotors and pads which should rule this out soon.

This is driving me nuts, nothing is very obvious but it clunks like a mother over every crack in the pavement when I drive. A buddy looked at it and took a ride with me for a fresh perspective, he couldn't find anything either. He thinks I might just have to wait for it to get worse to find it.
Old 06-12-13, 10:11 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey Power6, I was gonna send you a PM, but I'm glad you revived this thread, so I'll just post it here.

The exhaust section was replaced last Thursday. They ran into a little issue with fitment, so apparently there is a small leak at the firewall (bank 1) manifold connection. I don't hear any abnormal sounds, so I'm happy. Unfortunately, the rattle is still there. It was a little worse with the old exhaust, so half the noise is gone, but it's definitely unchanged.

Is this what you're hearing?

I tried recording the sound from multiple locations inside the engine bay, and the noise was heard in almost every location. I noticed I can make a similar noise by shaking the hood, while it's closed.. The hood lock isn't very secure.

I'm thinking of taking apart my OE struts and seeing if I can find some obvious wear marks. Luckily the noise only happens at 35-45mph, so I don't hear it all the time.

From what I can remember, when I first installed my new struts, the noise was almost completely gone. I didn't have a front sway bar for about two weeks, because I was planning on installing the Whiteline FSB. Once the sway bar was installed, the noise started coming back after a week or so. I can't recall the exact time frames, but it definitely became more prominent after the FSB installation. That of course could just be a coincidence. I wasn't exactly hunting for the noise after replacing my struts, because I was convinced that the rattle was caused by worn out mounts.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-12-13 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-13-13, 07:12 AM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a rattle that eluded me too. It turned out to be worn brake pad clips, if you lightly apply your brakes over bumps does the rattle lessen?
Old 06-13-13, 10:44 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Hey Power6, I was gonna send you a PM, but I'm glad you revived this thread, so I'll just post it here.

Is this what you're hearing?
I think we have unrelated problems. Mine sounds more clunky like it is going through the subframe/frame structure but it may be hard to compare over YouTube. Even over the slightest sharp bump, I was driving back and forth over the threshold of the garage bay where there is a step up to the concrete slab, it makes a little clunk every time.

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I had a rattle that eluded me too. It turned out to be worn brake pad clips, if you lightly apply your brakes over bumps does the rattle lessen?
This is quite possible. I did think of this. I don't hear the noise if I am braking moderately hard over bumps, that could mean it is any of the possibilities I list, loading up the front suspension in heavy braking might bind up anything that is clunking. Under light braking...I am not sure, I don't hear it sometimes and think I hear it others. Plus my front brakes are so sad I am not sure both inner and outer pads are getting clamped properly under light braking. The inner rotor surface is half rusty though I am not sure how a sliding caliper does that the piston pushes directly on the inside pad. I will have to wait to do the brake job to rule that in or out.
Old 06-13-13, 12:57 PM
HomerJay
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

When you do your brake job do not reuse the pad retainers/clips. Some high quality pads include new ones or order front and back disc brake hardware kits. I hope your noise is related to pad movement!
Old 06-13-13, 05:30 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

strut mounts
Old 06-14-13, 06:42 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HomerJay
When you do your brake job do not reuse the pad retainers/clips. Some high quality pads include new ones or order front and back disc brake hardware kits. I hope your noise is related to pad movement!
Got remfd calipers with new hardware, should eliminate all possibilities with the brakes.

Originally Posted by EEngineer
strut mounts
You think so huh? These KYBs are brand new. It is far down on my list to check since the only way to rule it out is to buy an OEM set and take the time to swap them in. I hope to eliminate other possibilities first. The sound does seem similar to a blown/loose strut mount.
Old 06-14-13, 08:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Got remfd calipers with new hardware, should eliminate all possibilities with the brakes.

You think so huh? These KYBs are brand new. It is far down on my list to check since the only way to rule it out is to buy an OEM set and take the time to swap them in. I hope to eliminate other possibilities first. The sound does seem similar to a blown/loose strut mount.
If you installed KYB Strut Mounts, then I wouldn't be surprised if they are making noise.

KYB makes great struts, but boy do their strut mounts and bearings suck. Waste of money.
Old 06-14-13, 10:21 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hypervish
If you installed KYB Strut Mounts, then I wouldn't be surprised if they are making noise.

KYB makes great struts, but boy do their strut mounts and bearings suck. Waste of money.
One friggin OEM part I skipped over ha.
Old 08-10-13, 07:31 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Update on this. Finally did my brake job today, reman'd calipers, rotors and pads all around.

Noise is gone! I'm so happy to be rid of it very annoying. This was very hard to diagnose, I pounded on the brakes with the rubber mallet when I was diagnosing, I tried braking on a bumpy street to see if clamping down the pads made it go away, nothing seemed to indicate it was the brakes. But I had to do a brake job anyways

I figured sooner or later I would swap out the offending parts. This turned out to be it for me, I am psyched I solved it without having to get into replacing arms and ball joints!

Quick Reply: my ES is noisy