ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I just had to get a jump start. 2003 Lexus ES300

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 05:13 PM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just had to get a jump start. 2003 Lexus ES300

Hi, I was typing this thread when roadside assistance showed up, so the first few paragraphs are before I got the jump.

I just went outside and my 2003 ES300 wouldn't crank, i hear sort of a buzzing sound but it doesn't turn at all. At first everything lit up bright like usual. the only thing i noticed was my radio screen didn't flip up or turn on like it usually does when i insert the key.

After I sat in the car for a few minutes i noticed the inside lights seemed slightly dimmer when i turned them on and the windows started rolling down slower.

My battery is about 7 months old and my starter is about 6 months old.

I haven't drove in 1.5 days, i didn't leave any lights or anything on. I DID however give a guy a jump last week. Lord knows I didn't want to when a guy in my neighborhood asked, but I felt like it was the right thing to do. The jumper cables he had, were ripped on 1 end. he tried for about 10 minutes before his friend brought a better pair of cables. That was roughly 7 days ago and i've crunk my car several times since then with no problems.

I did notice some construction workers outside parked next to my car earlier today, one of the guys appeared to be looking in while he smoked a cigarette, i hit my door lock button 2 times just to let him know i was inside and he was basically leaning on my car. The reason why i brought that up because i remember this time probably 2 years ago, i hit my door lock button a few times and the next morning my car wouldn't crank. My alarm didn't go off or anything.

update!

roadside showed up soon as he hooked it up, he told me to start it and it crunk right up! i've never had someone tell me to try it that quick. Anybody know what could've caused this? and I hope everything is ok because i don't have any extra money to even get a diagnostic right now.

2003 Lexus ES300 115k, new starter and battery (6 and 7 months old).

I'm having serious conscious issues, lol. Something told me not to give that guy a jump last week but then my heart told me it was the right thing to do....when i saw his jumper cables i should have really declined. thanks
Old 05-14-13, 05:30 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Make double sure that your battery terminals are not loose. At least start with that

Phil
Old 05-14-13, 07:01 PM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by PFB
Make double sure that your battery terminals are not loose. At least start with that

Phil

yeah, the appear ok, one screw i turned a few times with my finger to tighten. thanks for the reply
Old 05-17-13, 05:57 PM
Ichigo1287
Driver School Candidate

Default Whoops this will help

Like stated above check the battery cable connection. But also check the connections at the starter that it not loose or touching where it shouldn't be
Old 05-23-13, 06:56 PM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ichigo1287
Like stated above check the battery cable connection. But also check the connections at the starter that it not loose or touching where it shouldn't be
thanks everything looked fine, i just went outside and the car is completely dead. I drove the car on Tuesday (today is Thursday). The alarm wouldn't work and no lights come on when i put the key in. What in the world could this be? I don't even have the money to get a diagnostic right now. The battery and starter are like 6 months old, both professionally installed at Good Year. I don't understand what would make it die that quick. This is the same exact problem i went through last year. I had an inspection, they told me everything looked good, the battery was average but they said it was 27 months old so that's probably the problem. After it died again, I got a new battery, then a month later it went out again, this time a jump didn't do, Goodyear said it was my starter. I had that changed, for 6 months everything was like a charm. 2 weeks ago i gave a neighbor a jump (at first they had some bad cables) a few days later my car wouldn't crank, i got a jump, it ran fine for a few days, now today i'm back to the bs.

I have a baby amp in the back, its been in the car for almost 3 years, one of my friends said that could be the problem i don't even know how to disconnect it. I'm suppose to be starting a new job next week......