ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Gen ES Complaints NHTSA

Old 05-25-13, 09:02 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdub215
not a safety concern.
How is it not? Driving at night not being able to see the most basic information like speed. Not safe at all!
Old 05-26-13, 07:23 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't need some dial on the dashboard to tell you if you are driving at an unsafe speed. Now, if your complaint was you need to see the needle to avoid getting a speeding ticket, that's another matter, and also not a concern that involves lexus, unless you want to claim that they are at fault for you speeding because they didn't limit the car to a "reasonable" speed.
At 20 years old, things will wear down and break, and finding parts for that 20 year old car is more difficult as they are likely not being produced. You are also driving a Lexus that shares alot of mechanical parts with a Camry, but looks different because it uses different (and better looking, IMO) parts. If you want the reliability of you current car, but the cheaper parts, trade it for a Camry. If you don't want to have a Camry like everyone else, you need to accept that "appearance differental components", the parts that set your car above an everyday Camry, which have a premium attached.
And,yes... I went through the same issue with a headlight that was taken out by a chuck of truck tire on the Interstate. I found out my headlight for my '98 was $130 from Rockauto. The headlight for a Camry the same year was $35.
As a side note, a Camry won't have the same problem with the needle light going out.
Old 05-28-13, 06:17 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by ErikTheRed
You shouldn't need some dial on the dashboard to tell you if you are driving at an unsafe speed. Now, if your complaint was you need to see the needle to avoid getting a speeding ticket, that's another matter, and also not a concern that involves lexus, unless you want to claim that they are at fault for you speeding because they didn't limit the car to a "reasonable" speed.
At 20 years old, things will wear down and break, and finding parts for that 20 year old car is more difficult as they are likely not being produced. You are also driving a Lexus that shares alot of mechanical parts with a Camry, but looks different because it uses different (and better looking, IMO) parts. If you want the reliability of you current car, but the cheaper parts, trade it for a Camry. If you don't want to have a Camry like everyone else, you need to accept that "appearance differental components", the parts that set your car above an everyday Camry, which have a premium attached.
And,yes... I went through the same issue with a headlight that was taken out by a chuck of truck tire on the Interstate. I found out my headlight for my '98 was $130 from Rockauto. The headlight for a Camry the same year was $35.
As a side note, a Camry won't have the same problem with the needle light going out.
I agree with paying premium for a Lexus, but they fixed the issue with the next gen es series. They would have had to known their were some issues. Also reliability is there the needles are the only problem. Everything else for the most part works great. Just wish that i could have saved the dying needles before they went out.
Old 05-29-13, 02:36 PM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XUSFAN
I agree with paying premium for a Lexus, but they fixed the issue with the next gen es series. They would have had to known their were some issues. Also reliability is there the needles are the only problem. Everything else for the most part works great. Just wish that i could have saved the dying needles before they went out.
Perhaps you should have researched your choice of vehicles a bit more carefully. You could have purchased a G3 instead and have benefitted from their experience. If you think you're getting anywhere with suing Lexus for this issue you're sadly mistaken. Get over it.
Old 05-29-13, 03:45 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't believe you are attempting to whine about a trivial issue with a 20 year old car. Keep in mind that your car was only the 3rd year that Lexus was in business, so they had no long-term testing to tell them that the glowing needles would not last forever. You should consider yourself fortunate that this is the only issue with your car. Good luck with this.
Old 05-29-13, 05:07 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
I can't believe you are attempting to whine about a trivial issue with a 20 year old car. Keep in mind that your car was only the 3rd year that Lexus was in business, so they had no long-term testing to tell them that the glowing needles would not last forever. You should consider yourself fortunate that this is the only issue with your car. Good luck with this.
Whining, i'm not whining, as posted they gave me a discount and i was happy. As posted earlier this was the only issue and Lexus was nice enough to help me out with a discount. I was happy. As for it being third year in business, the car is basically a Toyota Camry. Also its a big issue, try driving at night without a sense of speed, gas, temp, etc..