ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

mechanic PLEASE..camshaft pulley turned backwards

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-13, 04:22 PM
incharlest
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanic PLEASE..camshaft pulley turned backwards

2000 es300
My rear camshaft pulley is about 1/4 turn back from where the alignment mark is. Should I turn it forward?
I'm in the middle of doing a timing belt kit change. I had already removed my tensioner and was about to take the belt off when I realized I still needed to take the crankshaft bolt back out again. It didn't want to come out too easily so I grabbed some vice grips and pinched the belt for tension. I used the SST to hold the front camshaft pulley in place while backing off the crankshaft bolt. The bolt came loose while the belt slipped. I didn't give it much thought. I temporarily used the crankshaft pulley to get it back to TDC. I checked the front camshaft pulley and it was aligned but the rear camshaft pulley was about 1/4 turn backwards. There is a lot of resistance so I don't want to force it. I had the radio on and thinking back I might have heard some strange noises but it could have just been some sockets falling to the ground.
What have I done? I have the time and sort of have the money to get this thing right. I'd like to think I have the skills as well but sometimes I do dumb things. Anyway, what would you do?
Old 04-23-13, 04:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

1/4 turn, like 45 degrees? Also, you really put vice grips on the timing belt? And you are never, ever supposed to use belt tension to loosen any bolt, you can stretch and damage the timing belt.

Sounds to me like you need to get a new timing belt as the one you have might be damaged. Most belts have marks on them making getting the camshaft timing correct basically fool proof. BTW, there is some discussion and disagreement if the VVTi 1MZ-FE engines are interference. If they are and you do have the one camshaft set wrong, you could have bent the valves.
Old 04-23-13, 07:29 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just take the timing belt back apart and re-time everything. And it's always clockwise when timing TDC.

And i'd definitely buy a new timing belt, too. Just in case..
Old 04-23-13, 10:54 PM
incharlest
Driver School Candidate

I think I confused you guys a little. I re read my post and I can see how. In a nutshell though the vice grips I put on the belt was the original belt. I wouldn't have put my vice grips on the new one although I have been known to do some dumb things. LOL
Anyway, the main point of my post was to find out if it would be OK to turn the camshaft pulley 1/4 turn forward with no belt on so that it is in alignment with the other camshaft pulley as well as the crankshaft? It will take a little torque as there is some resistance.
I'm pretty sure my engine is an interference engine from everything I've been told as well as read over the years.
Old 04-24-13, 04:52 AM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to be on the safe side,turn and set the crankshaft 60 degreeS counterclockwise, then turn your camshaft clockwise one revolution and align. After that's done, adjust your crankshaft clockwise back to the timing cover mark. ThAt should take off some of the resistance.
Old 04-24-13, 05:14 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You resistance you feel when turning the camshaft is from valve spring pressure pressing against the cam lobes. Anyway you seem to be over thinking things, just set your crank pulley to zero degrees exactly, then rotate your cam so the marks line up. You can turn the cam counter clockwise it won't hurt anything, if you were to look at the camshaft lobes you'd see that the shape of them is not going to cause any problems if rotated counter clockwise.

I would not go turning the engine counter clockwise over and over again, same with the cams when the belt is off. But rotating it say 1/2 turn CC is not an issue.
Old 04-24-13, 03:56 PM
incharlest
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your assistance. Yes, I've been known to over think things. Just to clarify...As it currently stands. Front cam position is correct as well as the crankshaft. The rear camshaft is currently 1/4 turn counter clockwise of where it should be.
So you are saying I should turn the camshaft the remaining 3/4 in a cc direction or forward 1/4 in a clockwise direction? Am I still over thinking things?
Old 04-24-13, 04:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

It doesn't matter, turn it whatever direction you want. But it would be easier to just rotate the cam clockwise, less work.
Old 04-24-13, 05:42 PM
incharlest
Driver School Candidate

Thanks...I'll give it a try.