ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The mist is missed no more...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-14, 08:23 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great info! It is funny how OEM details like this are not what you would expect some times. You would think first of all ES300/330 drivers would get a "mist" like the Camry driver, yet the Lexus driver gets short changed! You also would think they would have the same standard parts compatibility between the two similar cars, but yes it does seem clearly that the 4ES is using the same switch body as the 3ES.

This is not too surprising...when I did the AVS suspension, I found the JDM switch/steering sensor I bought it totally not compatible, the JDM Windom used totally different supplier for the JDM wiper/light switches even though identical in appearance and electrical function.

It does look like the IS300 switch will work in your case. What I found through this adventure is that more of the wiper function is inside the switch than I had thought, it looks like the "auto" wiper feature is simply the windshield water sensor feeding back to the switch, the logic that activates the wipe is all in the switch. In fact I considered trying to swap the auto wiper system into my 01 as a little project, but based on the reports of 4ES owners here and the satisfaction I have had with a simple mist feature I abandoned that one.
Old 01-05-14, 05:34 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooo... if I swap out the STALK (not the "stock"), can I get the mist feature AND get rid of the auto function? Just getting delay wipers?

I absolutely *hate* that "Auto" wiper feature. It's terrible. Wipes sometimes out of the blue when the windshield is dry, and often the windshield can be covered with mist but it just sits there sucking it's thumb, I have to turn the wipers to ON. Stupid feature. I hope it got better in later models.
Old 01-05-14, 06:21 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
You would think first of all ES300/330 drivers would get a "mist" like the Camry driver, yet the Lexus driver gets short changed!
+1. Right off the bat, 4 things missing from the ES330 but standard on the 2005 Camry is the one-touch-wiper, AUX input on the stereo, CD MP3 playback and three 12V power outlets.
I've taken care of the latter three with the addition of an iPod GTA Car Kit and a hardwired 12V power splitter in the glove box so I can power my dash cam. Now I just need that one-touch wiper.

It does look like the IS300 switch will work in your case. What I found through this adventure is that more of the wiper function is inside the switch than I had thought, it looks like the "auto" wiper feature is simply the windshield water sensor feeding back to the switch, the logic that activates the wipe is all in the switch.
Your right, the switches are all electrically compatible, I tried the Camry switch with the one-touch wipe on my ES330 and Solara, it works, just doesn't fit on the steering column. You think there are any other Toyota cars with the side style wiper switch (like our ES300/ Solara / ES330) other than the IS300? I have yet to see an IS300 in my local junkyards.

Originally Posted by KLF
Sooo... if I swap out the STALK (not the "stock"), can I get the mist feature AND get rid of the auto function? Just getting delay wipers?
Comparing the EWD for the ES330 with and without AWS unfortunately shows that the stocks are not directly compatible. Is there a way you can cover the sensor to stop unexpected wipes?
Old 09-08-14, 07:58 AM
awelliott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice concise write-up, thanks! Job was pretty straightforward - steering wheel fought me a bit, but it came right off with the puller. BTW, the Torx screws holding the airbag are T-30....
Old 10-04-14, 06:51 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

For all those who want to change the wiper stock or turn signal switch WITHOUT removing the steering wheel or airbag, here's a video detailing the procedure:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJyu22QruNw
Old 10-04-14, 07:09 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedkar9
For all those who want to change the wiper stock or turn signal switch WITHOUT removing the steering wheel or airbag, here's a video detailing the procedure:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJyu22QruNw
I mentioned removing the covers this way in the thread last year but the video really helps to visualize it, thanks!
Old 10-04-14, 09:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,701 Likes on 2,287 Posts

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Excellent video.
Old 08-25-15, 09:15 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Does this work for the '02 ES300??
Old 11-02-15, 09:15 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

I present to you the wiper mist swap. This is for 3ES models, may apply to others but I wouldn't know.
By 3ES does that include the '02??
Old 11-02-15, 09:27 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like it is the same for '97-'03. I just picked up an IS one on eBay for $25 shipped and the collar is BLACK like the rest of the stalk! Not gray.
Old 11-04-15, 11:54 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Looks like it is the same for '97-'03. I just picked up an IS one on eBay for $25 shipped and the collar is BLACK like the rest of the stalk! Not gray.
Sweet, good to know. That bugged me a bit as well.
Old 11-06-15, 01:02 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Wish there was one with the standard layout - pull back to wash, push up for mist!
Old 11-06-15, 04:01 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Wish there was one with the standard layout - pull back to wash, push up for mist!
Did you install it with the wheel still on (turn the wheel fully left and right to get to the screws)?
Old 11-09-15, 06:54 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

By 3ES does that include the '02??
'02 would be a 4ES though speedkar9 posted some information about that above. Basically if you don't have the rain-sensing wipers it should be the same.

I do believe all of them have the gray ring on the IS300, except the SportCross switch with the rear wiper has a black ring for whatever reason. You might have bought a newer IS250 switch? I'm not sure if those are compatible. Definitely report back how it works out for you when you get the switch in.

Just personal preference, but this layout like the Lexus has, there is one advantage that I like. When you are in Intermittent mode, and something splashes up on your windshield in between wipes, the "mist" wipe still works. That can be useful if you are on the long delay setting in light rain, and you drive under a bridge dripping water, or another car splashes a puddle up on to your windshield and you need an immediate wipe so you can see where you are going.
Old 11-10-15, 06:53 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Power6 - OK - I got it and it is a very dark charcoal gray color for the ring - didn't look that way in the pics on eBay - your pics look quite a bit lighter. Also, your point about being able to wipe with intermittent set is a good one - never thought of that! Since my wife is iffy about the mod, I'll bring that up - might be the selling point!

Last edited by mmatheny; 11-10-15 at 09:02 AM.