ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What caused my engine fire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 12:24 PM
MidTownMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What caused my engine fire?

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance for any advice or guidance. I really appreciate it.

I'll try to keep this short and be as detailed as possible.

Quick background:
1993 Lexus ES 300 - about 141,000 miles. Owned sine 2004.

Problem:
Some months back, I had a small engine fire while driving. Luckily I was able to extinguish the flames and the car suffered minimal damage. The fire occurred towards the rear of the engine compartment, near the fire wall, on the passenger side. Right before the fire, the car was in normal operating conditions with the AC on its lowest setting (fan and temperature). After taking it to a shop and not receiving any helpful information (although they did check wires, hoses, etc for fire damage), I am still driving the car with no problems yet (although I do not turn on the AC or Heat anymore).

Here's my question:
I'm fairly certain the fire was caused by something that has to do with the AC/Heat. What, with those two components, could cause an engine fire? I seem to notice a little smoke coming from the fire area whether I test the Heat or AC (I do not turn either on anymore normally). Is there a common problem with AC/Heat? If so, is it expensive to fix?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll keep a watch on the thread and update with any answers to questions.

Thanks again,

Andrew
Old 03-26-13, 05:33 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be a short in the wiring to the AC compressor. Should've popped a fuse though. You need to get a schematic and trace the circuit.
Old 03-26-13, 05:56 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Another possibility is oil leaking and ending up on a hot exhaust. When enough of it accumulates, the result could be a fire.

Phil
Old 03-26-13, 06:14 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by PFB
Another possibility is oil leaking and ending up on a hot exhaust. When enough of it accumulates, the result could be a fire.

Phil
This makes more sense to me. I would check for oil leaks around the exhaust.
Old 03-26-13, 08:14 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Most automobile fires that you hear about are caused by electrical wiring. This is why you have fuse boxes. I would go through all of your fuse boxes and check all of your fuses, not just to see if they're blown, but to check that they are the proper amperage. if a fuse is rated for more amps than the system is supposed to carry, wires can easily get hot enough to start a fire.

Oil is another likely suspect, and the valve cover gaskets are prone to leaking in the 2ES, oil would likely drip right onto the exhaust manifold or the y-pipe. Although, this isn't connected to the AC/heating system. Either way, you could easily take a peek at either to see if they look burnt.

How big is a "small engine fire"? In my book, no engine compartment fire is small.
Old 03-27-13, 07:06 AM
MidTownMan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input.

Hypothetically, if the fire was caused by some component in the AC, what could that be? What components do the AC and heating systems share? Is there something in there that could cause a friction fire?

I have since run the AC once and noticed that after a short time there is a smell like that of a clutch burning. Could something have frozen stuck in the AC blower or motor?

StuckInVA, you're right. It definitely didn't seem small at the time. Luckily I keep a fire extinguisher in my trunk. Always be prepared!

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-13, 09:21 AM
fireguy596
Driver School Candidate

Default engine fire

The electrical problem would provide an ignition source, but you would still have to have fuel from an oil leak, etc. to support a fire unless it was just the wiring system burning. Just food for thought.