ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

I have a problem with compulsive spending...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 05:29 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have a problem with compulsive spending...

Considering my '97 Es300 has about 230k on the dash, I figured it was time to retire her..

However, I just picked this puppy up today! 2005 Lexus Es330.

Dealer was asking $11,700k and I was able to talk them down to $9,700, considering a chipped windshield and a minor dent on the bumper (which will be popped and buffed out before i pick it up).

I also complained about their logo sticker. I told them to either take it off the car or knock off a couple hundred dollars. I'm not getting reimbursed to advertise for them... Though they didn't knock off a price, they did extend my warranty for the sticker. I just ended up taking it off anyway lol

Carfax was included and is clean, 2 owner vehicle which was only serviced at lexus. Certified stickers are still in the door.

She has 124k though... Despite that, engine and oil is clean, cherry red transmission and powersteering fluid, and she provides a solid ride.

The car is mint, besides a few imperfections. I never knew air conditioned seats existed until i sat in this car. Dealer turned on the air conditioned seat without me knowing. He thought it was funny (sick sense of humor)

But anyway, check it out. You're all the first ones to see it.

I have some questions though;

To those who own Es330's, what kind of problems have you ran into yours so far? Any problems I should be aware of?

How about rust? Has yours started to rust so far? I hate rust, I can't stand it?

How have you guys prevented your Es3's from rotting out (wheel wells?)
Old 03-20-13, 04:56 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Nice ride! Looks very familiar.

I don't think the 4ES has a problem with rusting. Just make sure you wash it often, touch up stone chips and wax it. You could oil spray it once a year too (I didn't do it on mine - too messy).

The seats aren't really "A/C", its just a ventilating fan that blows air through the perforated leather.

Make sure you keep up with the maintenance and enjoy your ride! At 124K miles, you should have had the timing belt, waterpump & spark plugs done already.
Old 03-20-13, 06:27 AM
2k4CamkilA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dislike you 05' 4ES owners with all your steering wheel controls!!! My 04 only has two buttons.

Oh and don't forget your projectors
Old 03-20-13, 10:34 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Just have it oil-sprayed once every two years and you'll be golden for keeping that undercarriage clean. My '01 is fairly clean considering it sees year-round abuse, [wish my exterior was as clean though...] and as mentioned sprayed once every two years.
Old 03-20-13, 05:46 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
Projectors aren't that great. I even had a PnP HID kit in there for a while but the output was horrible. I had aftermarket headlights on my Camry with projectors and the same PnP kit and it was hella bright!
Old 03-20-13, 07:07 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Nice ride! Looks very familiar.

I don't think the 4ES has a problem with rusting. Just make sure you wash it often, touch up stone chips and wax it. You could oil spray it once a year too (I didn't do it on mine - too messy).

The seats aren't really "A/C", its just a ventilating fan that blows air through the perforated leather.

Make sure you keep up with the maintenance and enjoy your ride! At 124K miles, you should have had the timing belt, waterpump & spark plugs done already.
Fimiliar? Title says she's from billerica, ma. Any relation? haha

I've turned down many nice es300s because of wheel well rust... Can't stand it, my '97 is suffering from it right now. Thinking of gettting it sprayed, not sure.

I do all my own repairs, so maintenance will not be a problem. Ill check out the timing belt and plugs this weekend. I'm going to change them regardless, once it's warm out.

I'm thinking of changing the transmission fluid & filter. Any recommendations of brands for both?
How about synthetic oil and filter?

Originally Posted by 2k4CamkilA
I dislike you 05' 4ES owners with all your steering wheel controls!!! My 04 only has two buttons.

I didn't even know they had the steering wheel controls until after I agreed to the purchase haha.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Just have it oil-sprayed once every two years and you'll be golden for keeping that undercarriage clean. My '01 is fairly clean considering it sees year-round abuse, [wish my exterior was as clean though...] and as mentioned sprayed once every two years.
This is the first thing I want to do to this car. I know nothing about spraying though. Are there any shops that do this type of thing? If so, how much would it cost?
Could I do this myself? What type of oil and tools would I need?

I really want to do the wheel wells though... I was thinking of taking off the plastic strip on the wheel wells.
Should I do that?
Old 03-20-13, 07:49 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know if anywhere does oil spray in the states, seems to be a Canadian thing.
Old 03-20-13, 08:17 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Power6
I don't know if anywhere does oil spray in the states, seems to be a Canadian thing.
I know for a fact, theres a company in New Hampshire that does oil coating for $99 and it's illegal in Mass. because of tree-hugging liberals

Oil Undercoating of New Hampshire

Check it out. depending where you are in mass, they may not be too far out.

I may check it out. Has anyone ever attempted to oil coat their own undercarrage?

Last edited by msekanha; 03-20-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 09:09 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ over here its common, as they sell undercoating in a can where people will spray the aerosol themselves. But... that's messy and I send it to a shop where its plugged into an airline with an air tool that coats the underneath, wells, engine bay, doors/hinges.
Old 03-20-13, 09:15 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I;ve considered getting the car oil but Its real messy. Does washing it frequently (every other day) seem like enough to flush out salt and prevent most rust?
Old 03-21-13, 03:13 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good! Try some PlastX for the headlights. It's a one step product with no sanding required and may improve the headlight clarity. And it's inexpensive. (I spent the 400+ for new Xenon headlights because one was cracked).

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plast.../dp/B0000AY3SR

Now I use a coat of pure Carnauba wax to keep them clear.

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-21-13 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 03:27 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Results:
I have a problem with compulsive spending...-bjfc9fx.jpg

This is an older photo, I have a chrome license plate frame now and cleaned up the front fog lights with PlastX recently. Planning on trying some Flitz on the lower fascia and plastic chrome.

Last edited by Chocolate; 03-21-13 at 03:30 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 05:13 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by msekanha
Fimiliar? Title says she's from billerica, ma. Any relation? haha

I've turned down many nice es300s because of wheel well rust... Can't stand it, my '97 is suffering from it right now.
Your car is familiar because I have one just like it! 05 ES 330 with the 17's, non-nav/ML, 120K miles, etc.

What are you doing with the 97...selling it?

How do you find the DBW throttle response over the 97?

I think your first mod should be to tint the windows.

I had my old Camry oil sprayed by Krown Rust proofing. It was really messy, especially when I had to work on the car. The oil would ooze out of the door creases and attract dirt, and washing it with regular car wash soap doesn't take it away (had to use dish soap & re-wax).

I don't think rusting is a major problem on the 4ES. Thus for my ES330 I bought two spray cans of rust proofing ($16) and sprayed the undercarriage and engine bay. It coated it well, but it washes off much faster.
Old 03-21-13, 04:22 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
^ over here its common, as they sell undercoating in a can where people will spray the aerosol themselves. But... that's messy and I send it to a shop where its plugged into an airline with an air tool that coats the underneath, wells, engine bay, doors/hinges.
I have a buddy that owns a body shop. I'm going to call him up this weekend and see if i provide all the materials, if he'll spray it for me. Are these safe on wheel wells?

Originally Posted by SaigaX
Looks good! Try some PlastX for the headlights. It's a one step product with no sanding required and may improve the headlight clarity. And it's inexpensive. (I spent the 400+ for new Xenon headlights because one was cracked).

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Plast.../dp/B0000AY3SR

Now I use a coat of pure Carnauba wax to keep them clear.
I'll have to check that out. Though my headlights already been buffed before purchase, i'm wondering if I can get them even more clearer. I'm thinking of trying this product, then putting a headlight film over it to keep them shining.

Clean car btw, I used to hate this generation but it's quickly growing on me. My girl is mad because I didn't buy a G35 instead (hunk of cheap plastic pretty much). Nothing compares to the quality of a lexus.

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Your car is familiar because I have one just like it! 05 ES 330 with the 17's, non-nav/ML, 120K miles, etc.

What are you doing with the 97...selling it?

How do you find the DBW throttle response over the 97?

I think your first mod should be to tint the windows.

I had my old Camry oil sprayed by Krown Rust proofing. It was really messy, especially when I had to work on the car. The oil would ooze out of the door creases and attract dirt, and washing it with regular car wash soap doesn't take it away (had to use dish soap & re-wax).

I don't think rusting is a major problem on the 4ES. Thus for my ES330 I bought two spray cans of rust proofing ($16) and sprayed the undercarriage and engine bay. It coated it well, but it washes off much faster.
Ahhhhh, I get it haha. I didn't see your signature picture. That's clean, man. I really wanted to find a white one, which I did. But it was a 2004 with none of the options of a 2005. So I went with the grey 2005 instead. The 2004 did have the navigation unit though, but it was more $$.

My '97... I was planning on driving this car until the wheels fall off, but considering my dad needed a car, I gave him this one. Which lead me to buy a newer one )

And the DBW.. I haven't really paid any attention to the difference, but it's very "plush" when I put her to the floor, but lot's of power. Quite odd though, i've test driven other Es330s and they seemed to be more "touchier" than the one I have.

And dude, I really want to tint out my windows, but window Tint is illegal in Rhode Island
I may tint them anyway, considering I know someone that will just put an inspection sticker on for me

I have a question for you, Have you removed the plastic strips off your wheel wells? I'm thinking about taking them off mine..