ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

would you rather have your ES or have a convertible bimmer

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-02, 09:01 PM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default would you rather have your ES or have a convertible bimmer

would you rather have a 97-01 body style es3, or pay a few G's on top of your ES and get a 96-97 bmw 328 convertible (with the hard top ) ?

the bimmer would be a few G's more ($4k cdn/ $2.5k USD) and it would be a couple of years older than the es. (97 bimmer vs. 99 es3)

just curious, thought crossed my mind, i haven't driven a 328 convertible though so i dont know how they feel, ride, and drive... it better be damn good because so far the ES is simply lovely

this is how the 328 conv. looks like

this is how mine looks, minus the chrome rims.

Last edited by lexusation; 12-21-02 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-21-02, 09:29 PM
DroppedLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id stick with the lexy
Old 12-21-02, 11:15 PM
zexen
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lex es all the way. 00-01 preferably just because i like the clear middle bar on the tail's
Old 12-21-02, 11:19 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My aunt and uncle have an '02 ES and an '03 325 conv. I got to drive the bimmer on Thanksgiving. It's stiff and very small inside.
The car is tighter in the turns and a little better on the accel. (it's got the inline 6). I have to note that it seemed very plastic-ey inside. I was also concerned that the doors didn't sound closed...i'm sure its cause of the rag top.

I'll keep the lex.

sj
Old 12-22-02, 12:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Personally, I won't consider any BMW's (or any European cars) that's out of warranty.

They tend to be problem prone and cost OBSCENE$$$ to fix.
Old 12-22-02, 03:20 PM
Iron Sheik
Rookie

That lexus is from autotrader.ca right? My mom's lexus is EXACTLY like that one...I'd say stick with lexus, better drive in the winter since it's front whell drive and since u live in TO.
Plus, the engine is sooo smooth
Old 12-22-02, 05:08 PM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

dude....give me the lex anyday...even tho i dont exactly like that paint combo for the es3...i realli like my golden pearl combo for my coach ed. 99 Lex....it's sooo pretty...the contrast between the upper and lower panels is much more subtle than the one in the pic, which just looks so stark naked...
Old 12-22-02, 10:25 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the FWD will be a definite plus in the bad weather. So in that regard the ES300 has an advantege. Other than that, it mainly comes down to whether you want more performance or more luxury, and whether you want an automatic or manual.

The ES300 has a silky-smooth ride, quiet interior, and is halfway decent on the fun-to-drive scale. I bet you could add some nice mods and make it more fun. Also, the BMW auto transmission is problematic. It is more fragile than most, and almost always needs a rebuild around 100-120K miles. In this regard, Lexus is more dependable. Plus you can't overlook the ES300's huge edge in interior/cargo space.

On the other hand, BMWs are a lot mroe fun to drive than an ES. With RWD, excellent steering, and a sport-tuned suspension, the E36 ('92-98) BMW 3-series cars are very very fun to drive. Try and get the manual, these cars are not nearly as fun with an automatic, plus the autos are fragile, as above mentioned. Don't forget that there is also a HUGE aftermarket for BMW, unlike our ES300.

As far as overall reliability, Lexus is clearly better, but BMW is certainly not that bad. Many Japanese car owners overexxagerate BMW's reliability problems, supposedly because they would like to feel better about their purchases. Coming from a family that has been driving BMWs for years, I can tell you that BMWs are actually quite reliable cars. Not up to Lexus-level, but definately above average. The engine in any BMW should be good for at least 250K miles. If you are willing the slight reliability trade-off for the BMW's increased fun/performance, then the BMW seems the way to go. If you want luxury and reliability more, then go for the Lex.

What would I do in your situation? Well, as much as I love the Lexus, if I had to choose between a second-gen ES and the Bimmer.............I'll take a '98 Avus Blue/Dove Grey BMW 328iC manual, please.

Last edited by Nabeel; 12-22-02 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 12:28 AM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What he said...I'd go with the Bimmer.
Old 12-23-02, 11:56 AM
SexieLexie
Driver School Candidate

I had a 96 328IS E36 (five speed) but ended up trading it in for my 97 ES300 (auto).

The BMW is truely a performance car. It was able to hug corners much better then my Lex. But the Lex gives you a much smoother, quieter, comfortable, and overall nicer ride. The BMW tends to give you a rougher ride and is harder to handle in the snow.

Also I thought other drivers on the road were quite nasty to a BMW driver. People were always flipping me off, trying to race me, my car was keyed, and one night I came out to my car to find spit all over the drivers side! I have found no nasty attitudes towards me in my Lexus.

The reason I traded it was because I spent $5000 in maintenance in eighteen months and it still needed much additional work. I needed a car that was more reliable and not always in the shop.

I really didn't want a Lexus but a great deal came my way that I couldn't refuse. Now after driving one for six months, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I love it and wouldn't consider going back.
Old 12-23-02, 11:12 PM
jobindj
Driver

definatly the ES
Old 12-24-02, 01:24 AM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

thx for the feed back...

i thought long and hard... and i made up my mind.

drum rolls please......

lex will stay w/ me.
Old 12-24-02, 01:31 AM
NoLexNoSex
Driver

yeah! it's the way it should be lexusation....F*** em bimmer owners...no offense or nothing...LOL....anyways...actually...i've been second guessin my decision to stay lex....i dunno...bimmer does sound good....
Old 12-24-02, 02:57 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

I'd go with the Bimmer. You'd turn heads and have a *****load more fun. Having both Lexos and BMWs in the family, I must say BMW is the ULTIMATE DRIVING machine.

If you wanna save cash and avoid trips to the mechanic, stick with the Lex.
Old 01-13-03, 08:48 PM
area1 es30
Rookie

id go wit the es

Quick Reply: would you rather have your ES or have a convertible bimmer