ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Broken Alternator :| Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 06:06 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken Alternator :| Please Help!

So my mysterious battery light came coming on, and eventually only when i brake
so i looked under the hood, and the part where the positive battery terminal to the alternator broke :/ (the plastic part)

anyways i tried to take off the 10mm, bolt, but i ended up braking the bolt as you can see here:/
i tried to take it off cause the plastic part melted, and i figured it was causing a short and i thought i could run without it

as you can see the bolt broke on to the terminal..

my only knowledge of fixing it would be to crimp a new terminal after extending the wire, so its not too short for the alternator..
but it seems something might have shorted out or something, but the cover for it melted.. (do i need it? if anything i'll junkyard it)

there is the broken bolt on the alternator..

i went to some stores and got some suggestions, they said the only way i can fix it is replace the alternator, and extend the wire.. so i did go ahead and order a new alternator
i don't want to take chances with a junkyard alternator, because its my mom's car and i don't want to risk it..

while im doing this i guess i better re insulate everything down there cause everything seems to be cracking and getting brittle do to the age and heat

and i need to change out the hoses as well..

and on another note, GOD this car is HARDDDD to push..

thanks for your thoughts! they are much appreciated
Old 03-13-13, 06:41 AM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a similar situation with a RAV4, but the bolt didn't break. I cleaned the terminal and put a aftermarket terminal end on the good part of the cable. been working for a couple of years with no more problems.
Old 03-13-13, 07:25 AM
pdr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one of my old Toyota's when the Alternator diodes were going bad, i'd get the battery light on when I hit the brakes. So it's time to replace the alternator anyway.
Old 03-13-13, 08:49 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Originally Posted by moonphase
I had a similar situation with a RAV4, but the bolt didn't break. I cleaned the terminal and put a aftermarket terminal end on the good part of the cable. been working for a couple of years with no more problems.
wouldn't i have to extend the cable so it reaches the alternator good?
Old 03-13-13, 09:10 AM
moonphase
Driver

your best bet is to buy a new cable.
Old 03-13-13, 09:23 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

your best bet is to buy a new cable.
+1. Not only is it your best bet, but it's the only option that will eliminate any likeleyhood of serious damage, or the possibility of fire to your car.

Fix it properly.

Phil
Old 03-13-13, 05:14 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

updated the vid guys, i don't know how to replace just the cable, without replacing the whole upper main harness

Last edited by gabzor; 03-13-13 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 08:19 PM
moonphase
Driver

The greasy stuff in the terminal connector is dielectric grease, and is used for improving conductivity at connections. Before connecting the battery, alternator, spark plug, etc, you should apply a small amount of the dielectric grease to the terminals. It is sold at most automotive parts stores.
The most likely reason for the alternator terminal to overheat like that, if from having a bad connection there.

I repaired my RAV 4 alternator connector in the following manner.
Peel the insulation back from the wire to a spot where it still has a shiny copper color. That is where I would connect my new cable section. Find an alternator, or switch to starter cable with the same size wire as mine, and also a set screw wire coupling to accommodate the wire size from the parts store, or hardware store in the electrical section. Apply dielectric grease, make connections, and insulate well for high temperature location.
Old 03-14-13, 03:07 AM
moonphase
Driver

utorial on making a battery cable with solder.
http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=59
Old 03-15-13, 10:47 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

and if you don't have a vise :S
Old 03-16-13, 03:49 AM
moonphase
Driver

vice grip locking pliers clamped to a table?
Old 03-16-13, 08:06 PM
gabzor
Pole Position

sir, you might just be a genius!
i'm thinking i can just use vicegrips and solder things on without taking out the whole harness
Old 03-17-13, 05:17 AM
moonphase
Driver

Thank You gabzor, for the nice compliment! Clint Eastwood said in one of his war movies, "We improvise, overcome, and adapt!" I like that way of thinking.
You will need a propane or mapp torch, and rosin core solder, to make a connection. Place fireproof materiel under, and in front of the torch so you don't char anything. Good Luck!
Old 03-18-13, 01:53 AM
gabzor
Pole Position

Thank You gabzor, for the nice compliment! Clint Eastwood said in one of his war movies, "We improvise, overcome, and adapt!" I like that way of thinking.
You will need a propane or mapp torch, and rosin core solder, to make a connection. Place fireproof materiel under, and in front of the torch so you don't char anything. Good Luck!
for now, i installed the new alternator (piece of crap plastic part broke on me again, a piece of it!!)
stupid beck and arnley and their mexican alternators!!

i cleaned up the wire, and just put it on for now and wrapped it with electrical tape as a temporary

i will pick up some wire, and solder

ohhh clint eastwood, gotta love that guy haha hes such a lowkey badass..

when i solder, do i litterally just heat up the wire, put some solder in the wire first, then put the terminal on the wire, and heat that up some more, and try to press it down with something?
Old 03-18-13, 04:04 AM
moonphase
Driver

I have had good results with Beck Arnley from amazon,com,. No doubt they use different manufacturers though. Have someone help when you solder, to hold the wire steady , etc. The wire, and lug need to be clean, clean for the solder to stick, I use electronic parts cleaner first, to remove any grease, or contaminants. The terminal is placed on the wire, heat is applied to the terminal, and solder is fed into the top. Or do it like in the video by inserting solder plug in the connector, then heat the connector and insert the wire as the solder cools.
Since you have the car back on the road, why not take it to someone, like a stereo installation place that can crimp a new terminal to the good part of the wire and install a rubber terminal boot!