ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

AC for 93

Old 03-10-13, 10:34 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC for 93

My AC doesn't blow cold on 1993 model. On the hood, I see a tag that says R12. I'm sure that's been replaced. So can this be made to work, for reasonable fee?

My other 93 has a sticker on the firewall from 2002, from a AC tech indicating R134A. Was that updated then?
Old 03-11-13, 02:22 AM
StuckInVA
Driver

Originally Posted by canucklehe
My AC doesn't blow cold on 1993 model. On the hood, I see a tag that says R12. I'm sure that's been replaced. So can this be made to work, for reasonable fee?

My other 93 has a sticker on the firewall from 2002, from a AC tech indicating R134A. Was that updated then?
At a certain year all production vehicles were forced to use R134A (1994 I believe) and all previous models used R12. The refrigerants aren't compatible but if the system is evacuated and certain pieces replaced you could then fill the AC system with R12. Many dealers did this to the later model R12 vehicles ('92,'93 ES) for free. When all of this was going on all the manufacturers wanted to be sure no one would mix the two, so one of the things that was replaced/modified was the refill fittings.

Simply put, if a can of 134A will fit on your fitting it has been modified, otherwise, you might want to use your windows more, as a retrofit can be fairly expensive (especially if a shop does it)

On a related note, it might not be a lack of refrigerant that is preventing your AC from blowing cold. If your compressor never engages then it would never cycle properly. you might want to have a professional look at it to diagnose your actual problem.
Old 03-11-13, 10:58 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

great info, thanks. guessing the one with the 134a sticker has been done, and the other one hasn't.

so no shops have R12 anymore?
Old 03-11-13, 11:08 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehe
great info, thanks. guessing the one with the 134a sticker has been done, and the other one hasn't.

so no shops have R12 anymore?
Your local Canadian Tire store sells a do it yoursel r12 substitute gas. You must evacuate your sytem first and than fill it with this substitute r12. Its called Red Tek a/c refrigerant recharge kit. Look it up on their web site.

There is mother one called Freeze 12, but don't know who caries it in Canada.

Walmart may have something similar as well. Not sure.

I personally have no experience with these products

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 03-11-13 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 11:18 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

how do i evacuate the old stuff?
Old 03-11-13, 11:33 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You will need to either buy/borrow a special A/C vacuume pump, or alternatively have a shop do it for you.

The vacuume purge will also help determine if you have any leaks in your system. Save you from refilling it, only to have it escape again

The A/C season didn't start yet, so it maybe less expensive to deal with it now.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 03-11-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 04:08 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the cheap side;
Check the condenser in front of the radiator for damage to the fins, and straighten any you find bug smashed. Check the fuse and relay for the AC system. Buy a can of refrigerant with a gauge and see what the pressure on the low side is according to the can.
Any more than that, you should have the pros handle it, but expect to pay well over $1,000 US. Probably closer to $1,500.
Old 03-11-13, 04:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,677 Likes on 2,267 Posts

If you don't have a set of manifold gauges and at least some basic knowledge of A/C systems then you should bring the car to the experts. You can't start hooking up cans of refrigerant and hope for the best.

The first thing you MUST do is pull a vacuum on the system with a pump designed for the task, then leave it alone for an hour to see if it holds vacuum. If it does, then you can proceed to fill the system properly with refrigerant and oil.
Old 03-11-13, 08:06 PM
moonphase
Driver

First thing to do is check fuse and relay. Simple things first.
Old 03-11-13, 10:19 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

great point. i usually do start simple, but every AC issue I ever had was in need of system re-charge. but i will look simple first.
Old 03-12-13, 01:44 AM
moonphase
Driver

A quick way to tell if the system is charged is to turn on the AC with the car running, look at the end of the compressor clutch past the belt. It should cycle on - off, on - off etc every 15 to thirty seconds. Place your hand on both of the two metal lines going from the condenser to the evaporator. The larger line should be somewhat hot, and the other will be very cold. If one doesn't feel very cold, and the clutch cycles at a fast rate, then you are probably low on refrigerant. Being low on coolant means there is a leak. The leak could be small enough that you can recharge it with a can of refrigerant yourself, but the amount of refrigerant is critical because too much refrigerant will ruin the compressor. Both low pressure and too high a pressure will make for no cold air at the vents. Also air or water is the system will make for no cold air at the vents and anytime the system is opened, the filter / dryer should be replaced for this reason. An AC thermometer is used by placing the tube part into the center vents with AC on high and the door open to check temp which should be roughly 38 - 45 degrees on a functioning system. AC systems should be serviced every few years, not that anyone does it. This includes evacuating the system, replacing the filter dryer, pulling a deep vacuum and recharging the system. AC systems are expensive to repair if anything other than a fuse, or relay is failing.