ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)

Old 02-13-13, 02:49 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
There are too many variables:
- condition of the engine
- the climate
- acceleration / load driver exert on the engine
- the ability of knock sensor to retard the ignition timing
- traffic condition
- etc.

What works for one vehicle/driver might not work for other vehicle/driver.

Therefore, if you are knowledgeable driver and can take some small calculated risk then use 87 octane.

If you are not a knowledgeable driver, stick with 91 octane. Don't be a hero.
1MZ knock sensors are known for being terrible. for that reason NO ONE can talk me out of running 93 octane in my Avalon. I have actually Ran a 1/4 tank of E-85 with 3/4 tank of 93 octane a few times, and it was eye opening.
Old 02-13-13, 04:40 PM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bdub215
1MZ knock sensors are known for being terrible. for that reason NO ONE can talk me out of running 93 octane in my Avalon. I have actually Ran a 1/4 tank of E-85 with 3/4 tank of 93 octane a few times, and it was eye opening.
wish we had 93 octane where I live in California.. Everywhere I been we only have 87/89/91 octane and usually 91 is 20-30 cents per gallon more expensive than 87. That said would the knock sensor being terrible in my 1MZ engine make it more susceptible to engine damage from using 87 octane?

Last edited by youngim87; 02-13-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 06:42 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are good reasons to use the 91, but you don't likely have any issues from the car having used 87, as long as you don't have any outward problems now you are probably just fine, no need to freak out.
Old 02-13-13, 07:25 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by youngim87
wish we had 93 octane where I live in California.. Everywhere I been we only have 87/89/91 octane and usually 91 is 20-30 cents per gallon more expensive than 87. That said would the knock sensor being terrible in my 1MZ engine make it more susceptible to engine damage from using 87 octane?
Same goes for 93 Here in PA. E-85 is about the same as premium 93 and to make you feel kinda good i get 91 here too but its only at sunoco

Originally Posted by Power6
There are good reasons to use the 91, but you don't likely have any issues from the car having used 87, as long as you don't have any outward problems now you are probably just fine, no need to freak out.
agreed.
Old 02-13-13, 11:24 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GREAT RESPONSES! Thanks for the feed back!!!

How many miles did the car have when you bought it? I know you said you got better performance on the HWY with 91, but did you notice any changes in your city MPG, or noticeable HP gains overall from 91? Also, did you happen to ever get over the 330 threshold with 91 octane? Thanks for your informative story, this was the type of response I was hoping for
I got lucky and when I bought mine it only had 38k on it And she literally took it to the dealership for everything, from oil changes, to new tires, to even replacing the key battery.

Unfortunately, I didn't notice any increase in actual city MPG. I don't quite understand your question about getting over the 330 threshold, they both have about the same mpg estimates don't they? I'm still a little unsure how to even describe the changes I felt since it was a while ago, however, there was a much more noticeable difference in the higher gears.
Old 02-14-13, 01:18 AM
Timothyj
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 04 ES runs on a mix of 89 and 93. Mobil or BP. Does not run good on 87. Stay with good gas.
Old 02-14-13, 03:37 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

BTW: The TSB regarding transmission shift enhancement (TC004-03R) also recommends running premium fuel.
Old 02-14-13, 06:51 AM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
BTW: The TSB regarding transmission shift enhancement (TC004-03R) also recommends running premium fuel.
Not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

Also, thanks for all the feedback
Im thinking of weaning my ES300 to premium fuel to help the engine adjust to the higher octane due to 73k miles of regular gas being used (So the knock sensors will adjust as well). Probably fuel up with 87 for 3 full tanks and seeing what the avg. mpg I get with regular fuel and then 3 tanks of 89, and then finally move to 91. Hopefully the gas prices will drop back down by the time I start filling up with 91
Old 02-14-13, 11:19 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure what you mean here. Can you elaborate?

Also, thanks for all the feedback
Im thinking of weaning my ES300 to premium fuel to help the engine adjust to the higher octane due to 73k miles of regular gas being used (So the knock sensors will adjust as well). Probably fuel up with 87 for 3 full tanks and seeing what the avg. mpg I get with regular fuel and then 3 tanks of 89, and then finally move to 91. Hopefully the gas prices will drop back down by the time I start filling up with 91
Take a look at the attached servie bulletin, on the last page.

Compare MPG and see which works best for you.

This thread has some more opinions and info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...xperience.html (it is from the RX section, but still relevant here)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TC004-03R.pdf (46.2 KB, 1134 views)
Old 02-14-13, 03:39 PM
NZESDriver
Driver School Candidate

Wow. You guys have JungleJuice in America.... We have 91, 95 and ... 98 Octane @ the pumps here. 98 octane in my car is awesome!
Old 02-14-13, 03:49 PM
youngim87
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hypervish
Take a look at the attached servie bulletin, on the last page.

Compare MPG and see which works best for you.

This thread has some more opinions and info: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...xperience.html (it is from the RX section, but still relevant here)
Ohh wow thanks for that attachment! Very informative
Old 02-14-13, 04:41 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh wow thanks for that attachment! Very informative
You're welcome!
Old 02-14-13, 04:46 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

I think Octane Rating may be calculated differently in New Zealand than in the U.S.
Old 02-14-13, 08:48 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NZESDriver
Wow. You guys have JungleJuice in America.... We have 91, 95 and ... 98 Octane @ the pumps here. 98 octane in my car is awesome!
Not so fast my Kiwi ES brother...we use a different octane rating system in the New World...R+M/2 vs. the RON rating used in much of the rest of the world including NZ. Your 91/95/98 petrol is roughly equivalent to our 87/91/93 rated gasoline ;-) Though not all of the US can get 93-94 octane.
Old 02-15-13, 10:05 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I get flamed for posting an already discussed topic on here I want to let you know I did about 2 hours of researching on CL and still cannot make a conclusion on what I was trying to figure out.

So, I proceed with my question: Background info - I recently bought a used, but excellent condition, 2002 ES300 with 73K miles which was driven very lightly by the 1st owner mostly for a work commute. It was driven by a woman in her 60's so I highly doubt it was driven hard and long on a daily basis. I was informed that only 87 (regular) octane gas was used as well as regular motor oil (non-synthetic). The driver's manual calls for the use of 91 octane and I have read on here that the use of lower octane, more specifically 87, would most likely cause some type of knock/pinging due to the faster burning lower octane gas which retards the engine response to the fuel quite a bit. This particular car doesn't seem to have any type of noticeable engine problems, pings, or knocks and drives very smoothly, however, I have only had the car for 3 days so far so who knows what I'll encounter *knock on wood*

My question is: Should I continue to use 87 octane gas or should I switch over to 91 octane gas for the first time in the car's life? I'd much rather put 87 to save a couple bucks at the pump and remain consistent with the previous owner. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated (Sorry if that was a long post )
Considering that the car is 10+ years old with 73k miles on it and has been burning regular the entire time, I think it's safe to say that using regular isn't going to make bad things happen to your car. The engine has knock sensors, and so as long as those are working and you are hearing no obvious detonation, you won't damage the engine. Premium will allow for more advanced timing, thus giving you some more power and greater efficiency, it will be up to you to decide if the extra expense is worth it. You will find some people who say they can tell a dramatic difference and others who can detect none at all. Given that, I would suggest that you just experiment yourself. It won't cost you a bunch of money, just a few extra bucks a tank for premium, and you won't have to depend on a bunch of guys on the internet. In a perfect experiment, you wouldn't know what grade of fuel is in the car and you would be driving an identical route in an identical fashion. If you know what fuel you're burning, then any subjective criteria like engine smoothness and "pickup" may be affected by your perception of how you think it should be. If you think that you should be getting better mileage because you're using premium, it may affect the way you drive and therefore contaminate the results. So, if you really want to have an objective experiment, have someone else fill the car and not tell you what's in it. It would be best to run several consecutive tanks of the same grade before changing to the other, because unless you run it almost completely dry the resulting mixture is going to be a weighted average of what was in the tank and what you put in. In terms of absolute accuracy, you should calculate the mpg manually, reset the trip odo and divide miles by gallons at every fillup. However, just to figure out whether you're getting better mpg, you can simply reset the avg mpg display after every tank, or even only after several tanks of the same grade so you can sort of even out the fluctuations you'll get in normal driving. It may not be exactly accurate, but it will indicate whether one grade gives you significantly better mpg than another. The more tanks you run through and the more consistent you are in your driving the more useful the results are going to be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Premium, middle grade or regular? (merged threads)