ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

AC blows warm only at red light

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-18, 06:09 AM
dfwlexusES
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC blows warm only at red light

The AC in my 02 ES blows nice and cold, as long as I am moving! Once I stop at a red light, warm(er) air begins to blow. Light turns green.....cold again...

I have had a few mechanics look at this, and it seems that everyone has a different idea. One says that 1 of the 2 fans near the radiator stops, so the air turns warm. Another says, no, that's normal, one fan is for AC and the other to cool the radiator...

Another said that it is the level of RS32a in the system...the other than says no, it cannot be that, since it does blow cold when moving.

Yet another mechanic did a check on all of the fuses and relays (which were all apparently working, and said, it must be the compressor.....

Feel like I am playing Russian Roulette on the diagnosis.....and certainly do not want to throw $$ at it trying everything possible...

Has anyone else had this particular experience, or might know exactly what might be causing this?
Old 06-07-18, 10:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

Someone with a 2002+ ES can confirm, I believe both fans should run when the A/C compressor is on so check for that. A competent shop with proper equipment can easily check the refrigerant level/charge.
Old 06-07-18, 11:21 AM
dfwlexusES
Driver School Candidate

Refrigerant level is good, I have already had that checked. So......if (and that's a big if) BOTH fans should run......what is causing the fan on the passenger side to stop running whenever the car is at a light?
Old 06-07-18, 12:28 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It's a long shot but voltage drops when you are idling due to low rpms. I'm pretty sure both fans should be running when the ac is on, they do on my 99. Maybe the fan isn't running due low voltage output from the battery/alternator and that's causing the ac to blow warm.
easy way to test this is have someone look at the fans while you are in park and give the car gas, they can measure the voltage before and after and/or look at the fans to see if they both run. You can also see if the ac starts to blow colder if you give the car a little gas while in park.
Old 06-07-18, 04:24 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

Do you get a blinking climate control light and have you replaced the a/c relay in the engine fuse box with the updated unit? The OE cc relay in the 02+ models is known to fail and has been updated.
Old 06-07-18, 05:06 PM
dfwlexusES
Driver School Candidate

CRWYS - Yes!! Both fans will start when I give it a little gas and it blows cold!!
ORO - I did replace a relay last year....was hoping that it would fix the issue. Is it possible that I replaced it with a new unit but the old version? How can I distinguish? Is there a different part# for the new version? Does anyone know what it is??
Old 06-07-18, 05:10 PM
crwys
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfwlexusES
CRWYS - Yes!! Both fans will start when I give it a little gas and it blows cold!!
ORO - I did replace a relay last year....was hoping that it would fix the issue. Is it possible that I replaced it with a new but old model? Is there a different part# for the new version? Does anyone know what it is??
That's awesome, good news, making some progress finally lol. So next step would be to measure the voltage at idle to see if it's too low. I'm not sure if that OE cc relay has anything to do this or not so you'll have to research that, sorry.

If its not too low or you aren't noticing any dimming headlights or anything like that I wouldn't think it's your alternator, maybe also check the voltage on the fan plug that isn't running.
Old 06-07-18, 07:23 PM
dfwlexusES
Driver School Candidate

I have a voltmeter I just picked up which should come in handy.... could you explain the correct procedure? Where do I place the sensors???
Old 06-08-18, 03:28 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 339 Likes on 294 Posts

If you replaced the relay it is likely the new unit. You can google/search this to see the p/n difference.

Like crwys says, take the voltmeter and check alternator output. You may have a strong battery and weak alt. If you have a 2002, it is about time for that to fail. Check charging voltage across battery terminals is a good way; anything less than 14 at idle is a fail. Really 14.2, but I am being generous. A good alt will be between 14.4 and 14.6 at ALL enginve revs.
Old 06-08-18, 08:48 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dfwlexusES
I have a voltmeter I just picked up which should come in handy.... could you explain the correct procedure? Where do I place the sensors???
Check this out.
https://www.autobatteries.com/en-us/...ge-and-testing

I would also test the voltage on the connector that plugs into the fan that you have having trouble with. There is 2 terminals on the inside of the plug, you just touch the 2 while the car is running with the A/C. Same for when you test your voltage on your battery/alternator.

If your voltage is good on both your Battery/alternator and fan connector I would look into testing your fan motor and/or replacing it.

Last edited by crwys; 06-08-18 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-08-18, 10:39 AM
dfwlexusES
Driver School Candidate

All GREAT advice.....will look into this and let you guys know. In the meantime if anyone else has any additional information, please feel free to chime in!!!

Great forum!!