Register Forgot Password?

2002 Lexus ES300 using 87 Octane Gas?

Old 07-30-13, 09:24 AM   #61
285exp
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub215 View Post
Until someone hits a dyno all everyone here is just doing is just really talking out of there ***. I have a 93 octane dyno for a VVT-i 1MZ-FE sitting next to me. Now who wants to go do one on 87 octane? Or do I have to hear something along the lines of "what will that prove?" Put up or shut up time. It's not that hard.
If you want a useful comparison, you'll need to do it yourself. Someone else doing it with their car would prove nothing, as the engines are not identical, even when they were brand new.

And the only thing it would prove if you did would be how much additional power premium gives your car at WOT, which is of relatively little use in real world situations.

I've been using regular in my 97 ES300 since I bought it new. Out of curiosity, a couple of months ago I used premium for 4 consecutive tanks of fuel to see how much better mileage it got. The prior 4 tanks of regular averaged 20.7 mpg. The 4 tanks of premium averaged 21.2 mpg. The last 5 tanks using regular again have averaged 20.2 mpg. So, overall, I gained around 3.5% in mileage. Premium cost me around 8% more. From a purely economic standpoint, it's a waste of money for me to use premium.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
285exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13, 10:17 PM   #62
Mythotical
Pole Position

Ok I agree I am going to continue using 87 and leave it alone unless I have to take a trip down to sea level on a hot day. I live and work at 3,200' and even tho I have relocated and singled my knock sensor to the side of the head I could not get it to ping or knock if I tried even in 98 deg weather with 7% humidity. And finally the 91 in Missoula Mt. sucks *** and all of it has 10% ethanol added so screw it. I am happy with 87 and I will take it to the track too.
Mythotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-13, 03:54 AM   #63
Hobbitt
Driver School Candidate

Hi octane does not mean more mileage. Hi octane merely means smoother burn. Gasahol says higher octane (a cheap way to do it) and gas will always get better mileage than gasahol.

Also, if you are at three thousand feet your car will see 89 octane drive just like 91 octane would at sea level. If you drive as a normal person 87 does not hurt anything.

Last edited by Hobbitt; 08-05-13 at 03:58 AM..
Hobbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 06:53 AM   #64
Power6
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbitt View Post
Hi octane does not mean more mileage. Hi octane merely means smoother burn. Gasahol says higher octane (a cheap way to do it) and gas will always get better mileage than gasahol.
You are confusing two concepts, normal Gasoline gets better mileage than Alcohol blended Gas because Alcohol is less energy dense. Octane rating is actually resistance to combustion, a measure of stability if you will. It plays into ignition timing, if an engine control is programmed to take advantage of it. Energy density is a different concept.

There is basis that you can get better mileage through higher octane, advanced timing can be more efficient, therefore more energy to moving the car and less wasted as heat. 285exp showed us this with his informal experiment, and also he showed us the economics don't really work out when you figure the increased price of the higher octane gas. If he would have changed from a pure Gas product to an E10 say, that would not have worked out the same way.
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 02:02 PM   #65
kgcrimmins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I have a new to me 02 with 97000 and I will use better gas
kgcrimmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-14, 10:34 PM   #66
dtbaker
Driver School Candidate

Default Octane 1MZFE ES300

I am not willing to risk banging up my wrist pins and main bearings to save the cost of two soft drinks on a tank of fuel.

The last car I owned was a '94 camry with the 1MZFE, always ran 91 octane and mobil one with a wix (napa gold). I sold it to a friend with 317,000 miles and he's still driving it (327 now) The Engine never touched except timing belts and a rear seal)

In a pinch, I'll blend some lower octane in, but with all the penny wise pound foolish car drivers out there, 91 or higher is always aplenty.

By the way, never let it get below 1/4 tank - the fuel cools the fuel pump in the tank.

2 cents worth.
dtbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 01:30 PM   #67
jenga
Driver School Candidate

I have been running 87 octane since I acquired my 2002 last year with no issues. (18K miles put on so far)

With knock sensors and adaptive ignition algorithms, I am not worried about pre-detonation like the old days, the computer listens to the knock sensors input and pulls more timing out of the equation to adapt if needed.

Premium fuel allows for a more aggressive timing curve for performance and slightly better fuel economy.
jenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 03:35 PM   #68
Timothyj
Pole Position

I have two 04 ES cars and one 02 ES. I run 89 octane in all three. BP or Mobil. i have run 87, but the 89 seems to run better.
Timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-14, 05:19 PM   #69
GSteg
Rookie
Trader Score: (14)

I run 87 in the ES330. Can't tell a difference in power or mileage. Then again, I don't live in 100+ degrees weather, and I don't floor the car either.
GSteg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-14, 02:58 PM   #70
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
You are confusing two concepts, normal Gasoline gets better mileage than Alcohol blended Gas because Alcohol is less energy dense. Octane rating is actually resistance to combustion, a measure of stability if you will. It plays into ignition timing, if an engine control is programmed to take advantage of it. Energy density is a different concept.

There is basis that you can get better mileage through higher octane, advanced timing can be more efficient, therefore more energy to moving the car and less wasted as heat. 285exp showed us this with his informal experiment, and also he showed us the economics don't really work out when you figure the increased price of the higher octane gas. If he would have changed from a pure Gas product to an E10 say, that would not have worked out the same way.
Just for funzies, I'm doing the non-ethanol experiment now. Because the only non-ethanol fuel available around here is mid-grade (89 octane) marine gas, the effect will be a combination of no ethanol and higher octane, since my usual fuel is E10 87 octane. Just finished the first tank, going to do three more. The non-ethanol stuff is $3.79 a gallon, regular E10 is $3.19. That means I'm going to have to average around 24 mpg to break even.

Last edited by 285exp; 09-11-14 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 10-06-14, 09:22 PM   #71
stant_98
Driver School Candidate

You might need to replace a catalytic converter sooner rather than later if you continue using 87 octane. My mother drove a 4-cyl Camry a few years ago and needed to have a brand new cat installed thank God at just before 60K which was still under factory warranty. Why? She had used regular gas - and guess what the manual says regular gas is OK for that car, but not for ES,
stant_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 03:17 PM   #72
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stant_98 View Post
You might need to replace a catalytic converter sooner rather than later if you continue using 87 octane. My mother drove a 4-cyl Camry a few years ago and needed to have a brand new cat installed thank God at just before 60K which was still under factory warranty. Why? She had used regular gas - and guess what the manual says regular gas is OK for that car, but not for ES,
I guess I'll have to stop using regular, even though I have 180k on it now and still have the same cat.
Old 10-07-14, 03:53 PM   #73
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stant_98 View Post
Do you have proof it is actually the fuel that caused the cat to go bad? It can be a vehicle running too rich. It can be caused by excessive idling. It can be caused by many other things.
BDSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 03:57 PM   #74
Bk2
Driver School Candidate

In any car manual it will say what is recommended and what can be put in. You technically CAN put 87 octane fuel in almost any car, you CAN save that 20cents per gallon by not getting premium. You CAN also get lower fuel economy and less performance. All of those are possibilities with many more to list. Instead of what CAN happen, look at the facts. Why is premium gas more expensive because its a fact that its cleaner. It is also a fact that premium gas burns hotter than regular. Who cares right? Well no burning gas hotter guarantees better performance. Cleaner fuel causes less restriction in piping also. For some people they see a difference while for others there is no difference; of course that is determined by hundreds of variables. Some drivers don't go past 2.5 rpm while others rip to at least 4 rpm all the time. Some neutralize their vehicles some dont. Bottom line is premium gas costs more at the pump but overall should be the only choice for someone who cares for their vehicle as it is cheaper in the long run, better for mpg and performance. Your not just running any car your running a Lexus treat it as such
Bk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:22 PM   #75
MrBooby
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk2 View Post
In any car manual it will say what is recommended and what can be put in. You technically CAN put 87 octane fuel in almost any car, you CAN save that 20cents per gallon by not getting premium. You CAN also get lower fuel economy and less performance. All of those are possibilities with many more to list. Instead of what CAN happen, look at the facts. Why is premium gas more expensive because its a fact that its cleaner. It is also a fact that premium gas burns hotter than regular. Who cares right? Well no burning gas hotter guarantees better performance. Cleaner fuel causes less restriction in piping also. For some people they see a difference while for others there is no difference; of course that is determined by hundreds of variables. Some drivers don't go past 2.5 rpm while others rip to at least 4 rpm all the time. Some neutralize their vehicles some dont. Bottom line is premium gas costs more at the pump but overall should be the only choice for someone who cares for their vehicle as it is cheaper in the long run, better for mpg and performance. Your not just running any car your running a Lexus treat it as such
All fuel grades are equally clean. The octane number is simply a pressure resistance rating. Premium can withstand higher cylinder pressure than Regular, before igniting.
MrBooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 10:22 PM