Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES300 and ES330
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2002 Lexus ES300 using 87 Octane Gas?

Old 07-13-13, 07:53 PM   #46
Timothyj
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

I have 2 04 Es330 cars, I run no lower then 89 octane. I run BP or Mobil gas, no junk gas. Spend the few extra cents and buy good gas.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Timothyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 08:44 AM   #47
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervish View Post
It's not the transmission that cares about the gas, it's the ECU. It will pull timing to compensate for low octane fuel. What's so hard to understand...

If we are talking about just a "rebadged camry" then why don't you go out and buy a Camry.

I'm sorry, I don't have the patience to deal with ignorance.

It's your car do what you like, but do not spread false information that's all I ask. This is forum is to help others, if you don't know what you are talking about I kindly ask you don't write it or at least put a disclaimer.

The last thing I will post in this thread is what the manual states. You can interpret it anyway you want.
I have temporarily been using regular in our 2004 ES330 since it was purchased new. I have never had any knock, much less heavy or persistant. The times I've tried using premium, I've felt no difference in the way it drives or in performance and seen no difference in mileage. Those choosing not to take the word of anyone here should just try it for themselves, it won't hurt the car to use regular, no matter what dire predictions you may hear.
285exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 08:59 AM   #48
rlx101
Lead Lap

Quote:
If we are talking about just a "rebadged camry" then why don't you go out and buy a Camry.
already have 2...

Why does Toyota Camry have this same engine and not require premium gas?

The 1MZ-FE is a 3.0 L (2994 cc) engine. Bore is 87.5 mm and stroke is 83 mm. Output is 168–190 hp @ 5200–5400 rpm with.....

Applications:

1994–2006 Toyota Camry (V6)
1994–2003 Lexus ES 300 & Toyota Windom (Japanese domestic market)

1996–2004 Toyota Avalon & 2000 Toyota Pronard (Avalon for Japanese domestic market)

Last edited by rlx101; 07-16-13 at 01:26 PM..
rlx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-13, 01:31 PM   #49
rlx101
Lead Lap

"In the old days, engines could not adjust to fuels with varying octane ratings. Use the wrong fuel and the engine would knock or "ping" audibly because the gas exploded prematurely. This knocking damaged internal engine components over time.

Today, engine control systems can compensate for low octane by monitoring knock activity and adjusting ignition advance to avoid knocking. This sophisticated electronic capability effectively tunes the engine on the fly and gives drivers more flexibility in the grade of fuels that they can safely use.

Compared to premium gasoline, lower-octane fuels don't allow the engine to run as much ignition advance during situations calling for rapid acceleration. More ignition advance allows the engine to make more power, and accelerate more quickly, during these conditions. Since the engine doesn't make quite as much power with lower-octane fuels, this translates into slower acceleration in cars for which premium fuel is recommended. The performance loss is especially noticeable in turbocharged gasoline engines, which have become increasingly popular in recent years.

The performance loss, however, is something you will only notice if you have a heavy foot and accelerate rapidly from a dead stop or while changing lanes at highway speeds. But if you accelerate moderately, the loss of power is barely noticeable, regardless of whether you use premium or regular-grade fuel."

http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/...g-premium.html
Old 07-18-13, 09:37 AM   #50
Megafast13
Lexus Test Driver

matt.martinsen13 matt_martinsen matt_martinsen13

Quote:
It's not the transmission that cares about the gas, it's the ECU. It will pull timing to compensate for low octane fuel. What's so hard to understand...

It's your car do what you like, but do not spread false information that's all I ask. This is forum is to help others, if you don't know what you are talking about I kindly ask you don't write it or at least put a disclaimer.

The last thing I will post in this thread is what the manual states. You can interpret it anyway you want.
Well said.
Old 07-20-13, 08:07 AM   #51
Mythotical
Pole Position

I use 87 and the car runs great. I also live at 3,000' so that may be a factor.
Mythotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 10:43 AM   #52
tomf
Pole Position

Quote:

Here is the last page from my 99 ES300 user's manual. I don't know how you interpert it but to me it's clear that 87 octane gas is recommended for daily use. Of course the 1mz-fe engine in the 2002 model could be different than the 1mz-fe engine in the 1999 model.

BTW in Nebraska I have a choice of 87, 89 ethonal blend, or 91 octane gas. I use 89 octane because it's cheaper than 91 and as far as I can tell there is no difference in performance between the two octanes. One gas station claims to sell 93 octane but again I noticed no difference between 89 and 93. I am skeptical that it was actually 93 octane gas.
Attached Images

Last edited by tomf; 07-20-13 at 10:59 AM..
tomf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 11:32 AM   #53
brucelee1
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

Really, how much money do we need to "save" on gas?
brucelee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13, 12:33 PM   #54
tomf
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee1 View Post
Who is this "we" of which you speak?
Old 07-22-13, 08:08 AM   #55
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucelee1 View Post
How much more do we need to spend if there's no significant benefit in doing so?
285exp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-13, 07:53 PM   #56
Power6
Lead Lap

This one is going to rage on forever. I think we can safely say it doesn't matter much. All the evidence has been presented. Nobody is cracking pistons from 87, and nobody is winning races with their 91 octane. This is the proverbial mountain from the mole hill. For the normal people just do what makes you feel good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled pedantic arguments and doomsday predictions...
Power6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-13, 09:13 PM   #57
Mythotical
Pole Position

Ok so I have to put in my two cents in here but with a little story first. I just bought my 98 ES300 with 199,740 miles on it and the oil pressure light flickering. Needless to say and to make a long story short the engine was sludged really bad, then it lost oil pressure on the highway and evaporated the #1 rod bearing. (saw this coming) I got the car in less then perfect condition and really cheap. I am a mechanic and had already priced out a junk yard pull for $400 long before buying the car. I overhauled the junk yard pull and did it for less then I would have spent on rebuilding the original engine before it spun. When the engine did spin I had just tanked it up on 87 because I knew it was on the way out anyways. So after getting the car back together the thing just pulls hard as hell. Now I just emptied the tank yesterday and thought I should start the switch to 91 so I tanked up on 89 and now I have a lot less power and I wonder what will happen on 91. I also think that having reset the ECU there is a chance that it has not completed all of its drive cycles. The next time I drive it I will check that with my tablet and TORQUE. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-29-13, 09:49 AM   #58
rlx101
Lead Lap

exactly my point. there is this common thread amongst lexus owners where they somehow feel like they belong to the elite club and if you put regular gas or replace brake pads with regular off the shelf stuff you are somehow braking their elite club laws. there is no common sense left what so ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power6 View Post
This one is going to rage on forever. I think we can safely say it doesn't matter much. All the evidence has been presented. Nobody is cracking pistons from 87, and nobody is winning races with their 91 octane. This is the proverbial mountain from the mole hill. For the normal people just do what makes you feel good.

Now back to your regularly scheduled pedantic arguments and doomsday predictions...
Old 07-29-13, 08:32 PM   #59
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Bdub2155 Darkersupraman Bdub2155
Send a message via AIM to Bdub215

Until someone hits a dyno all everyone here is just doing is just really talking out of there ***. I have a 93 octane dyno for a VVT-i 1MZ-FE sitting next to me. Now who wants to go do one on 87 octane? Or do I have to hear something along the lines of "what will that prove?" Put up or shut up time. It's not that hard.
Old 07-29-13, 08:51 PM   #60
Mythotical
Pole Position

FWIW here is the best reading on the subject of octane rating and ignition timing I can find on the web.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/myths.php
Old 07-29-13, 08:51 PM

Tags
03, 2002, 2002 es300, 2003, 300, 87, cel, clublexus, engine, es, es300, gas, lexus, octane, pinging, regular, type