Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES300 and ES330
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2002 Lexus ES300 using 87 Octane Gas?

Old 02-18-13, 10:56 PM   #31
Lionorion
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

I have an '03 ES 300 with 110,000 miles. With mostly city driving here's my average fuel economy:

Regular 87 ocatanel fuel leaving transmission in "D" 18.8 MPG
Mid grade 89 octane fuel leaving transmission in "D" 18.8 MPG
Premium 91 octane grade fuel leaving transmission in "D" 17.9 MPG

Regular 87 ocatanel fuel Shifting from D-4th, and sometimes 3rd: 16.1MPG

My driving impressions:

Shifting from "D" to 4th in city driving reduces the confusion of the ECT.

Mid grade and premium fuels, I noticed more partial throttle power. However, I didn't notice a difference between the two grades.

In closing, I mostly fill up with 87, occasionally using 89 when I feel "extravagant". Lol
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lionorion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 07:33 AM   #32
moonphase
Driver

Regular unleaded in our area is 86 octane, and the 1MZ in our 97 ES300 runs like a champ with it.
moonphase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 09:01 AM   #33
LexuZ786
Rookie

Zahir Vayani

Whenever I put 87 octane I get a cel light but doesnt affect performance
But When i put 93 octane I dont get a cel light.
LexuZ786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-13, 03:51 PM   #34
JonnysES
Driver

Jonny Antonio Bratton

Run the higher Octane, the 1mz is known for its poor knock control especially in the earlier years. 87 might work for you, but trust me put the 91/93/94 in. You're engine will run a little better, you won't blow knock sensors down the road etc etc. I blame my blown motor on 87 because I redline daily but with 87 you could occasionally hear the spark knock.. What causes bent rods in N/A low powered motors? Detonation and I had all the bases covered except my family likes to put 87 octane in which you can feel the knock events surging power sluggish at WOT and chugging up hills... Run Premium it is a premium car with a high out put engine with high compression.
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/es30...-inside-5.html
JonnysES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 08:36 AM   #35
Hobbitt
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngim87 View Post
Before I get flamed for posting an already discussed topic on here I want to let you know I did about 2 hours of researching on CL and still cannot make a conclusion on what I was trying to figure out.

So, I proceed with my question: Background info - I recently bought a used, but excellent condition, 2002 ES300 with 73K miles which was driven very lightly by the 1st owner mostly for a work commute. It was driven by a woman in her 60's so I highly doubt it was driven hard and long on a daily basis. I was informed that only 87 (regular) octane gas was used as well as regular motor oil (non-synthetic). The driver's manual calls for the use of 91 octane and I have read on here that the use of lower octane, more specifically 87, would most likely cause some type of knock/pinging due to the faster burning lower octane gas which retards the engine response to the fuel quite a bit. This particular car doesn't seem to have any type of noticeable engine problems, pings, or knocks and drives very smoothly, however, I have only had the car for 3 days so far so who knows what I'll encounter *knock on wood*

My question is: Should I continue to use 87 octane gas or should I switch over to 91 octane gas for the first time in the car's life? I'd much rather put 87 to save a couple bucks at the pump and remain consistent with the previous owner. Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated (Sorry if that was a long post )
Octane is a measure of how evenly the wave burn goes thru the cylinder. Lower octanes burn less evenly putting more stress on the motor. Knock and ping are what you hear if you are putting stress on your piston, rings, and cylinder walls. If you drive gently this effect is lessened. Think little lady school of driving, though most little old ladies do not really drive this way. If using both lower octane and demanding performance (accelerating) than you are causing extra motor wear. At high altitudes this effect is lessened, think one lower octane point less for every 3000 feet above sea level.
Hobbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 11:31 AM   #36
rlx101
Lead Lap

87 is just fine for these cars. Do not need to waste $$$ on premium IMO.

Our business development guy is driving ES for work, he has close to 200,000miles on his car driving on 87 ONLY. No problems!!! I've asked people around and tried comparing premium vs regular myself and honestly i dont see any difference.
rlx101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM   #37
rlx101
Lead Lap

Are you serious??? You push rpms to the red line daily, your motor blows and you blame it on regular gas? Are you freaking serious? Genius . Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnysES View Post
I blame my blown motor on 87 because I redline daily but with 87 you could occasionally hear the spark knock..
It is dressed up daily beater, also known as toyota camry. Premium cars are: ferrari, maseratti, aston martin etc.

These toyotas are good daily beaters. Dressed up middle class "luxury". They are reliable and last long time .. when you dont red line them on daily basis. lol.

Wow. Is this guy for real???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnysES View Post
Run Premium it is a premium car with a high out put engine with high compression.
Old 06-28-13, 11:37 AM   #38
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Too many variables....driver, load, ambient temperature/pressure, engine condition, etc....

What works for one owner might not work for another owner.

If you are looking for ways to save a few dollars and not knowledgeable about drivetrain, there are other better ways to save money....
BDSL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-13, 01:12 PM   #39
285exp
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlx101 View Post
Are you serious??? You push rpms to the red line daily, your motor blows and you blame it on regular gas? Are you freaking serious? Genius . Wow.

It is dressed up daily beater, also known as toyota camry. Premium cars are: ferrari, maseratti, aston martin etc.

These toyotas are good daily beaters. Dressed up middle class "luxury". They are reliable and last long time .. when you dont red line them on daily basis. lol.

Wow. Is this guy for real???
He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
285exp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-13, 12:17 PM   #40
rlx101
Lead Lap

Myth: Premium gas is better for your car.

Reality: Most vehicles run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel. Using premium in these cars won't hurt, but it won't improve performance, either. A higher-octane number simply means that the fuel is less prone to pre-ignition problems, so it's often specified for hotter running, high-compression engines. So if your car is designed for 87-octane fuel, don't waste money on premium and if you car recommends (not requires) premium, you can usually get away with using regular. Some cars truly require premium, meaning you're stuck paying extra.
Old 07-10-13, 08:37 PM   #41
MrBooby
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:

Reality: Most vehicles run just fine on regular-grade (87 octane) fuel. Using premium in these cars won't hurt, but it won't improve performance, either. A higher-octane number simply means that the fuel is less prone to pre-ignition problems, so it's often specified for hotter running, high-compression engines. So if your car is designed for 87-octane fuel, don't waste money on premium and if you car recommends (not requires) premium, you can usually get away with using regular. Some cars truly require premium, meaning you're stuck paying extra.
This is true. It's like running full synthetic oil for 3000 miles. I need to go back to Regular...
MrBooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-13, 05:58 AM   #42
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal

Quote:

Umm, actually the ES will benefit. Especially the 4th generation.

For two reasons, the first applies to the 3rd generation as well; this engine is high compression at 10.5:1. So the car will have improved performance from running higher octane fuel.

The second reason, which applies only to the 4th gen, is because it has DBW. The transmission will behave much better with high octane fuel. Lexus themselves have said to run high octane fuel in a TSB regarding shift quality.
Old 07-12-13, 09:58 AM   #43
rlx101
Lead Lap

Transmission cares about gas? this is a new one to me...

I 've switched back and forth and there is no difference that i can feel/see in performance.

If regular was bad in nay way there would be a big red sticker in front of your face saying - PREMIUM ONLY.

What do you mean by improved performance? It is a daily driver designed to get me from A to B. All i care about is miles per gallon.

I am not drag racing fighting for extra seconds on a quarter mile strip... come on, we are talking rebadged toyota camry here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypervish View Post
Umm, actually the ES will benefit. Especially the 4th generation.

For two reasons, the first applies to the 3rd generation as well; this engine is high compression at 10.5:1. So the car will have improved performance from running higher octane fuel.

The second reason, which applies only to the 4th gen, is because it has DBW. The transmission will behave much better with high octane fuel. Lexus themselves have said to run high octane fuel in a TSB regarding shift quality.
Old 07-12-13, 10:17 AM   #44
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

As I said before.....

Too many variables....driver, load, ambient temperature/pressure, engine condition, etc....

What works for one owner might not work for another owner.

If you are looking for ways to save a few dollars and not knowledgeable about drivetrain, there are other better ways to save money....
BDSL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 01:57 PM   #45
hypervish
Lexus Champion

lexusvishal

Quote:
Transmission cares about gas? this is a new one to me...

I 've switched back and forth and there is no difference that i can feel/see in performance.

If regular was bad in nay way there would be a big red sticker in front of your face saying - PREMIUM ONLY.

What do you mean by improved performance? It is a daily driver designed to get me from A to B. All i care about is miles per gallon.

I am not drag racing fighting for extra seconds on a quarter mile strip... come on, we are talking rebadged toyota camry here.
It's not the transmission that cares about the gas, it's the ECU. It will pull timing to compensate for low octane fuel. What's so hard to understand...

If we are talking about just a "rebadged camry" then why don't you go out and buy a Camry.

I'm sorry, I don't have the patience to deal with ignorance.

It's your car do what you like, but do not spread false information that's all I ask. This is forum is to help others, if you don't know what you are talking about I kindly ask you don't write it or at least put a disclaimer.

The last thing I will post in this thread is what the manual states. You can interpret it anyway you want.

Quote:
Octane rating
Select premium unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher for optimum
engine performance. However, if such premium type
cannot be obtained, you may temporarily use unleaded
gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (Research
Octane Number 91).
Use of unleaded fuel with an Octane Rating or Research
Octane Number lower than stated above will cause persistent
heavy knocking. If it is severe, this will lead to engine damage.

Last edited by hypervish; 07-12-13 at 02:01 PM..
hypervish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 01:57 PM

Tags
03, 2002, 2002 es300, 2003, 300, 87, cel, clublexus, engine, es, es300, gas, lexus, octane, pinging, regular, type