ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Power windows, power seats, and sunroof not working after installing new radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-13, 03:48 AM
imAC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power windows, power seats, and sunroof not working after installing new radio

I have a 1997 Lexus es300, I installed my new pioneer headunit in and now all of the the things in the thread title have stopped working. I have checked EVERY fuse and all are not blown. What else could it be ? and I would really like to know EVERYTHING it could possibly be.

Thanks
The following users liked this post:
BMoore35 (09-29-18)
Old 02-12-13, 08:56 AM
Mattrob
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery first? There are 3 fuse boxes. Is there a common relay that controls all these components? Sorry i dont have schematics yet to tell you exactly what it is?
Old 02-12-13, 12:10 PM
imAC
Driver School Candidate

No idiot me didnt disconnect the battery when doing the install. I obviously had a brain fart, because I always remove the negative post atleast.
Old 02-12-13, 09:02 PM
Mattrob
Driver

I know you checked all uses but.... the 30A "Power" fuse in the instrument juntion box contrls all 3 of these components. This is the common fuse box left side lower from driver's seat. If you are certain that this use is good then i would suspect the "Power Relay" which is in the same box. You can pull the relay and check continuity across pin1 and pin 2. If it reads open then bad relay. You can also, with relay removed jumper pins 3 to 5 of relay junction box socket. This should give you power to moon roof and windows. It is likely that this shorted out and is now open between pins 1 and 2. The seats could be a seperate issue if that 30A Power fuse is good.

Make sure your ignition swich is in off position before your jumper the above mentioned 3 to 5. Place switch to on after jumper to get power.
BMoore35 (09-29-18)
Old 02-18-13, 10:14 AM
imAC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mattrob
I know you checked all uses but.... the 30A "Power" fuse in the instrument juntion box contrls all 3 of these components. This is the common fuse box left side lower from driver's seat. If you are certain that this use is good then i would suspect the "Power Relay" which is in the same box. You can pull the relay and check continuity across pin1 and pin 2. If it reads open then bad relay. You can also, with relay removed jumper pins 3 to 5 of relay junction box socket. This should give you power to moon roof and windows. It is likely that this shorted out and is now open between pins 1 and 2. The seats could be a seperate issue if that 30A Power fuse is good.

Make sure your ignition swich is in off position before your jumper the above mentioned 3 to 5. Place switch to on after jumper to get power.
Okay....I replaced the RELAY that is infront of the drivers seat to the left....and nothing the 30 amop fuse I have already checked. AND OMG !!! and now the trunk release button doesnt work anymore, and for some reason not even my key will open the trunk WTF WTF WTF !?!? I have a useless trunk now.
Old 02-18-13, 02:47 PM
kakarot
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a suggestion for you to diagnose your problem.

1. Removed you new HU and put your old HU back to see if everything is working again.
2. If the original HU is working with everything else again than your issue lies in the new HU installation.
3. Carefully re-install the new HU and see if everything will work again, make sure all wires are soldered for your final.

Here is what I would do to finish the soldering
1. Pre wired all the wires together use tape or cap screw for temporary
2. Turn the ignition to on and test to see if everything is golden then do your final step which is ( SOLDERING)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-22-13, 06:57 AM
Mattrob
Driver

imac, It would help tremendously if you could check operation of every electrical component in your vehicle. I.E. power seats, windows, climate control, cruise, all interior and exterior lights. Everything. This will allow us to troubleshoot the common cause and most likely cause. Also it sounds like a good idea to reinstall the old radio as previously stated to see if you may have something install incorrectly. Disconnect battery!
Post a consolidated list of the all electrical components not working.
Old 02-22-13, 10:33 PM
NYC ES3
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kakarot
Just a suggestion for you to diagnose your problem.

1. Removed you new HU and put your old HU back to see if everything is working again.
2. If the original HU is working with everything else again than your issue lies in the new HU installation.
3. Carefully re-install the new HU and see if everything will work again, make sure all wires are soldered for your final.

Here is what I would do to finish the soldering
1. Pre wired all the wires together use tape or cap screw for temporary
2. Turn the ignition to on and test to see if everything is golden then do your final step which is ( SOLDERING)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
uh yeah...put it back the way it was when it was working - Trouble-shooting 101
Old 03-17-13, 08:09 PM
Brando
Driver

Mine is a 93 and had the same problem. It may be different on a 97 but for the 93 you remove the lower drivers dash below the steering wheel. There are 3 or 4 bolts I think. One is behind the little vent to the right of the steering wheel. You have to pop the vent off with a flathead. Once you get the dash piece off there is an air vent held on by a phillips screw. Push the vent to the side and you will see three box fuses with clear windows. The 30 amp one is probably blown. Replace it and you should be good.
BMoore35 (09-29-18)
Old 11-22-17, 12:39 AM
THRASH3R
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by imAC
I have a 1997 Lexus es300, I installed my new pioneer headunit in and now all of the the things in the thread title have stopped working. I have checked EVERY fuse and all are not blown. What else could it be ? and I would really like to know EVERYTHING it could possibly be.

Thanks
I think I saw a post of yours in another forum that had to do with a high pitch wind through your speakers. If I'm mistaken just disregard but if it was you and the problem is still active, I would use special shielded tape due to the electro magnetic field of the alternator and I would also recommend a solder mesh instead of crimping with heat shrink tubes as well. The alternator may not be within spec or at peak performance because of a worn armature, stator, or possible diode deterioration/malfunction(most likely a diode). The whining from the speakers is a electro magnetic feedback of the alternating current.