ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Emergency Brake Noises

Old 01-28-13, 10:08 AM
hungryeddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency Brake Noises

Hello,

Since it's impossible to get replies on my build thread (not as lively as a forum as the 4runner forums i'm on), I decided i'll need to start a new thread to ask the question.

So I'm getting a grinding noise coming from the rear wheels. Its louder on the driver side and is caused by the turning of the wheel.

I jacked it up and turned the wheel to try to recreate the noise. I started taking parts off to find what would eliminate the noise. Took the calipers off and it still made the noise. When i took the drum/rotor off the and rotated the axle, the noise stopped. I couldn't really see what was causing the noise since it only does it with the rotor on. It has to be something within the e-brake assembly. I took the e-brake shoes off and put the rotor back on and it did not make the noise.

What could this be? The rotors are pretty rusted but not on the part where the pads and shoes make contact with it.
Old 01-28-13, 12:45 PM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bet is it's the E-brake shoe(s) dragging on the drum (or the drum part of the rotor). From my experience, usually the cable gets stuck just where it exits the die-cast bracket, so the spring can't push the end far enough to position the shoes just off the drum.
With a screwdriver, push the lever hard to the rear of the car (position the end of the screwdriver right where the cable attaches to the lever) to fully expand the coil spring and pull the cable a bit further out of the casing/bracket. The bracket corrodes and gunks up the 'tube', siezing the cable. The cable itself is stainless and covered with plastic, so usually is not rusted.
If this solves the problem, you'll need to free up the cable, hopefully without removing it, since you'll probably break off one or both of the attaching bolts (then have to drill & tap out for new bolt(s), or replace the cable). Spray the bracket 'hole' with penetrating fluid, then alternately pull the brake lever (or push the pedal) and push the cable end with the screwdriver until the E-brake cable spring can expand fully on its own.
I'll assume you know how to use the star adjuster to back the shoes off or expand them. This adjustment can only be made when the brake lever/assembly/cable is working properly.
(If I've rememebered something wrong, or forgotten something, post back. I have 3 Toyotas with crappy E-brakes under my belt)

Last edited by donbryce; 01-28-13 at 12:51 PM.