ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 would not start. Good battery.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 07:21 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default ES300 would not start. Good battery.

Hey folks, i got a little problem here - the car would not start, there is no clicking sound, just a little humming im assuming from the fuel pump. I got it jump started drove home, parked, next morning replaced the battery, thinking it was bad (since jump start worked). It started - drove to work, parked and tried to start it again - but it would not. it is silent, the dash board comes on, radio etc, but no cranking sound.

I have a CEL on but it is front fuel sensor related ( getting it replaced soon). No battery warning lights are on...

So what is this ? Starter going bad? Alternator? Any ideas how to proceed?

I have 180,000+ miles on it. The car has been running great otherwise.

Thank you.
Old 01-14-13, 08:09 PM
rlx101
Advanced

ok folks. seems like its a starter, it just deteriorated over 24 hours to the point where it started making metallic rubbing sound when starting. Went to autozone, got a new starter and just replaced it. took about 2 hrs (doing it first time), i used factory service manual as a guide. Fairly easy job, just have to take off the air filter assy and battery assy to get to it, then its just 2 screws and 2 cables, pop new one in and put it all back together. Now starts and purrs like a kitten. Now off to the shower and sleep!!!!

Originally Posted by rlx101
Hey folks, i got a little problem here - the car would not start, there is no clicking sound, just a little humming im assuming from the fuel pump. I got it jump started drove home, parked, next morning replaced the battery, thinking it was bad (since jump start worked). It started - drove to work, parked and tried to start it again - but it would not. it is silent, the dash board comes on, radio etc, but no cranking sound.

I have a CEL on but it is front fuel sensor related ( getting it replaced soon). No battery warning lights are on...

So what is this ? Starter going bad? Alternator? Any ideas how to proceed?

I have 180,000+ miles on it. The car has been running great otherwise.

Thank you.
Old 01-15-13, 06:26 AM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had the same exact problem and had to replace my starter 2 months ago.

Mine was a little different, at first I'd get a jump and the it would last for 2 weeks, then i'd get a jump and it would die every other day. I went to autozone and they told me my battery was ok, i just need to drive it for a while but its only 18 months old and appears ok. After another jump, i took to tire plus. He said my battery was like 40% but he said its probably dropping over night, he was like everything else is fine, its probably your battery. I bought a battery for $149 . 2 weeks later at Chevron I try cranking up my car and it makes this loud scratchy noise, i turn it off, restart it and it does it again. I stupidly turn the car off again and this time it wouldn't crank. This is where are problem sounds the same, it made this humming noise, all the lights came on, when i turn the key it just wouldn't attempt to crank, just a humming noise and a little tick.

While i'm in my car waiting on the tow truck, i'm on my phone googling this issue. I was thankful it was the starter because some people had a similar problem but it was something electrical and its pretty darn expensive.

its good you know how to work on your own stuff, i don't have the courage, but if I did i'd save a lot of money. I thought the starter would cost about $600 but it was only $377 at Good Year. This was the first time i've had to buy a starter for any of my Lexus.

what year is your Lexus, how many miles was on it when you bought it? I was just wondering if this was the first time the starter had been replaced.
Old 01-15-13, 02:29 PM
rlx101
Advanced

yes, it sounds like starter internals fall apart and get stuck hence the silence or grinding noise when the key is turned.

there is nothing to be afraid of - use service manual, they have all the steps and pictures. pretty clear. you do need a decent set of tools to make the job easier. pretty much everything on this side is a must DIY IMO. Air filter/ MAF/ starter/battery all is there and easy to get to, no need to pay someone to service these. Just give yourself enough time/ good space and light.

i drove ~50Kmiles since i bought it used, its a 2002.

Originally Posted by idream08
i had the same exact problem and had to replace my starter 2 months ago.

Mine was a little different, at first I'd get a jump and the it would last for 2 weeks, then i'd get a jump and it would die every other day. I went to autozone and they told me my battery was ok, i just need to drive it for a while but its only 18 months old and appears ok. After another jump, i took to tire plus. He said my battery was like 40% but he said its probably dropping over night, he was like everything else is fine, its probably your battery. I bought a battery for $149 . 2 weeks later at Chevron I try cranking up my car and it makes this loud scratchy noise, i turn it off, restart it and it does it again. I stupidly turn the car off again and this time it wouldn't crank. This is where are problem sounds the same, it made this humming noise, all the lights came on, when i turn the key it just wouldn't attempt to crank, just a humming noise and a little tick.

While i'm in my car waiting on the tow truck, i'm on my phone googling this issue. I was thankful it was the starter because some people had a similar problem but it was something electrical and its pretty darn expensive.

its good you know how to work on your own stuff, i don't have the courage, but if I did i'd save a lot of money. I thought the starter would cost about $600 but it was only $377 at Good Year. This was the first time i've had to buy a starter for any of my Lexus.

what year is your Lexus, how many miles was on it when you bought it? I was just wondering if this was the first time the starter had been replaced.