ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES300 Valve Cover and Carfax Question, Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-13, 07:11 AM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 ES300 Valve Cover and Carfax Question, Thanks

Hi, this is my second Lexus, I've had this car (2003 ES300) for about 28 months! I have about 117k on it. I bought the car car with i think around 79k.

Around 112k my starter went out, is that about normal? I was lucky with my first Lexus I got it at a 130k after the original owner replaced a lot of parts. When I sold it, it had 206k on it, still riding like a charm...the only things i had to do was tuneup, oil change, brakes and valve cover. The mechanic told me I still had the original radiator in it....can't be, i know a radiator doesn't last for over 200k??

Anyhow, back to my current Lexus. Is it normal for the valve cover to be leaking pretty bad after 117k? On my last 98 ES300 i didn't have to replace the valve cover til around 188k. I've had a minor oil leak for the past 2 months, but my dip stick has still been showing my oil at the second notch, so i figured its a real slow leak and I'd try and hold off until income tax time since I had some unexpected expenses come up. But, the other day, I smelled oil pretty strong and the car was smoking. It wasn't running hot or anything, i checked the oil again and this time it was a little bit below the second notch. Anyways, I took it to the shop, a new shop since I'm out of town....it was suppose to be ready Saturday around 1pm. I know they got started on it around 10:30am. I'm patiently waiting...Around 4pm I go ahead and call, their still working on it...Around 5:30pm i'm getting frustrated because they close at 6pm, their closed Sunday, so i'd be without my car for the weekend. I call about 5:40pm and they tell me the guy put the new valve cover on and it was leaking from the back, so something must have slipped out. Too make a long story short, their suppose to have me ready today around noon. Since I assume this guy spent at least 7 hours on my valve cover and had to end up taking it back apart because it was leaking out the back. What should I look for when I go to pick the car up, should I be worried that he's messed something up? This place has 2 different locations and appears to be reputable place out here....but now i'm worried, that i should've paid that extra money and went to Lexus or Goodyear whom has always done me good.

Also I've had this car for about 28 months and I never paid it any attention until a mechanic at Goodyear (when I got my Starter)asked if the car had been flooded because there was a little rust when he opened my door, then even worse (silly me for never noticing it in 28 months) the mechanic pointed out that my passenger airbag appears to have been deployed or something. I'll take a picture when I get the car back. But, the passenger airbag spot looks sort of cut or cracked like its deployed before. Ironically the passenger headlight cover has always been much more dull than my drivers side. The entire car appears to have the same material so I don't feel or see any other signs that lead me to believe its ever been in an accident. My carfax shows 3 owners which i feel is a little unusual since that's 3 owners before 90k. The Carfax shows absolutely no report of any kind of accident. Is there another way I can find out? could the car salesman have given me an altered carfax? well i don't think they'd go that far out the way for an older model car and risk their company getting in trouble. But, is there anything i can look up online or maybe the Lexus Dealership could tell me if its been wrecked, but, if the owner had damages fixed at a backyard body shop, i guess i wouldn't find any records of it.

I'm not suggesting a lemon or anything, other than valve cover going this quick, i've been pleased as usual with Lexus! I'd just like to know this isn't a flood car or etc....Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your time.
Old 01-14-13, 07:50 AM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

as far as car history goes - it is possible for the accident to not be in the carfax. if no cops are present at the scene or parties decide to not involve insurance then it wont show up on carfax.

Rust - was the car ever registered up north? Door rust could be from there, not necessarily flood. If it was flooded you could have mold and other nasty things growing inside (not good for your health). Pull your floor carpet and look underneath for any signs of moisture/stains etc !
Old 01-14-13, 08:05 AM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlx101
as far as car history goes - it is possible for the accident to not be in the carfax. if no cops are present at the scene or parties decide to not involve insurance then it wont show up on carfax.

Rust - was the car ever registered up north? Door rust could be from there, not necessarily flood. If it was flooded you could have mold and other nasty things growing inside (not good for your health). Pull your floor carpet and look underneath for any signs of moisture/stains etc !
thanks a lot, no the car was always registered in Florida until it came to Atlanta.

The valve cover was suppose to take 3 hours, they opened at 8am this morning its after 11am, i assume they spent around 7 hours on it Saturday. So that's over 10 hours on my valve cover. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should look for? Also, I had a good little bit of oil on the engine and behind it, anyone know what's the best inexpensive way to get that cleaned up? Because my car is still going to smoke, long as that old oil is still on the engine right?
Old 01-14-13, 01:29 PM
rlx101
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

at this point i dont know how much you can do. you already have the car at the mechanic, taken apart and they are 10hrs into it.

was this guy/place recommended? did you have anything done there before? sounds a bit excessive, unless they are waiting for parts to come in. left over oil - dont worry about it.

Originally Posted by idream08
thanks a lot, no the car was always registered in Florida until it came to Atlanta.

The valve cover was suppose to take 3 hours, they opened at 8am this morning its after 11am, i assume they spent around 7 hours on it Saturday. So that's over 10 hours on my valve cover. Should I be worried? Is there anything I should look for? Also, I had a good little bit of oil on the engine and behind it, anyone know what's the best inexpensive way to get that cleaned up? Because my car is still going to smoke, long as that old oil is still on the engine right?
Old 01-15-13, 06:34 AM
idream08
Rookie

Originally Posted by rlx101
at this point i dont know how much you can do. you already have the car at the mechanic, taken apart and they are 10hrs into it.

was this guy/place recommended? did you have anything done there before? sounds a bit excessive, unless they are waiting for parts to come in. left over oil - dont worry about it.
i'm out of town for the week, this place is 10 minutes from me, they have 2 locations in nice areas. I saw a commercial so assume these guys are pretty respected place down here. Their price was also $180 cheaper than the next lowest place and they also have a 12k or 1 year warranty.

I got car back around 2pm yesterday. Drove for 20 minutes and everything seemed fine except the usual when ever the batteries been disconnected....(moonroof is slow and i have to keep my finger on the button for it to move and a little huffing when i'm at a light). Every time my battery has been disconnected the moon roof, didn't go back to working to normal for a week or 2. The guy at Good Year told me some crazy crap about letting all the windows down, then pushing them up manually.

Anyways I go back outside around 5pm and there's some rattling noise coming from under my hood. WTF it was pouring down raining, I'm going outside in a few to see what in the world is going on.
Old 01-15-13, 08:33 AM
idream08
Rookie

Im at shop now, it appears to be the back bracket, its loose and popping. I know nothing about alll of this. he said there going to SEE if they can make some adjustments.

stupid question, I looked under hood and reserve tank was pretty low, it was 40 percent full yesterday. I forgot it may show different depending if car running or not. well I filled reserve tank. now its way past full, have I screwed up?
Old 01-15-13, 09:18 AM
idream08
Rookie

now their telling me, i could have a leak in the oil pan something, and the timing belt casing or something because the car started back smoking. he said its hard to tell because it could look that way because the oil may have come from the valve cover, they cleaned up the area, so i'll see.

I haven't had the timing belt replaced, i really don't have the extra money right now, I'm trying to hold on for another month til I get my income tax return. What's the longest any of you guys ever saw a timing belt go for?