ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Noob question: what's the advantage of coilovers over stock struts?

Old 12-07-12, 05:09 AM
Jazzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question: what's the advantage of coilovers over stock struts?

As I get ready to invest in a new suspension pretty much, was wondering what the the pros and cons of coilovers versus stock struts/springs might be? I am pretty much clueless to suspension mods, but I figured if I'm going to spend the bucks on the labor, maybe it's worth it to go with coilovers. What are my advantages and what brands should I be looking at? A can of worms there, I know...

Thanks,

Bob
2000 ES300
Old 12-07-12, 05:31 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock struts / springs = comfortable ride

Coilovers = performance and stiff ride
Old 12-07-12, 01:29 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Above is a great rule of thumb. If you are comparing those two you should have a good idea of what you want.

If a firm ride and setting your own (usually low) ride height is important you might want some coilovers.

If you want a refreshing of the stock parts new stock/replacement stuff is what you want.

There are some in between ideas too, if you let us know what your goal is we could give more accurate advice.
Old 12-07-12, 02:47 PM
Jazzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice; I kind of figured as much, but it's good to get confirmation. I'm a cruise control on the Turnpike kind of guy, so I guess I'm leaning towards comfort and stock, but I wouldn't mind going a little lower if I could!
Old 12-07-12, 06:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

I was considering coilovers before I decided to go with struts/springs. The downside to coilovers is that there is a limited market for the ES platform, so there are very few quality products. Most reviews say that the ride is very harsh and that some parts don't fit as well as factory. Having adjustability is nice, but it also leaves you with a lot more chances of messing up. I'm the "set it and forget it" kind of guy, so I decided to stick with aftermarket struts and lowering springs. They offer a little bit more stiffness and a slightly lower ride height, without compromising durability. They also allow you to use factory proven mounting hardware (strut mounts, rubber insulators, etc).

I already have all the mounting hardware, now I'm just waiting for the struts/springs to come in. Keep in mind though, depending on which brands you choose, you might end up spending as much money as a set of coilovers.
Old 12-08-12, 03:15 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Coilovers will give you a firmer/sportier suspension, adjustability of damping and ride height as well. They basically allow you to tune the suspension of your car.

If you want some help with this stuff shoot us a PM, we will be glad to help
Old 12-09-12, 07:25 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzer
Thanks for the advice; I kind of figured as much, but it's good to get confirmation. I'm a cruise control on the Turnpike kind of guy, so I guess I'm leaning towards comfort and stock, but I wouldn't mind going a little lower if I could!
Yeah stick with stock replacement stuff, or some lowering springs if you must.

Mr B is right, I try to remain neutral with my personal opinions...but a shock is a high precision piece. Any coilover you are going to get for this car is going to have a shock that is simply junk. "Adjustable" is laughable. Ride quality is rubbish and so is handling.