ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Questions about timing belt replacement

Old 12-07-12, 07:10 PM
PPJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about timing belt replacement

I bought a used '03 ES300 which has about 90k miles on it and drove it for a couple of month until now it has 95k miles. Went for an oil change at Toyota dealer and got a long list of $1900 repairs which I'm not sure if all of them are necessary. One of them I believe it need to be done is timing belt. The quote from Toyota dealer for timing belt & water pump replacement was $880. I also call another local toyota/lexus repair shop and it's around $980. I'm surprised that local shop price is higher that toyota dealer. So I called another Honda/Acura/Toyota repair shop and got the quote of $700 for timing belt without water pump (water pump was recommended at second timing belt change). I have a couple of questions:

1. Is $880 reasonable price for timing belt & water pump in Baltimore?
2. Is it good idea to skip water pump on first timing belt replacement (90-100k miles) and do it at next timing belt (180-200k miles)?
3. What else should be replaced while they are in there?

Thanks in advance,

Pat
Old 12-07-12, 07:49 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Not a bad price if it includes all the bells and whistles - water pump, camshaft seals, hydraulic tensioner, and two pulleys.
Old 12-07-12, 07:54 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need my timing belt changed soon as well and i'm only a novice at mechanics so I also called around the SF bay area. I generally got better deals from the dealerships than local shops. For me the best price I found was 800$ at the lexus dealership for the timing belt and water pump. They would supply me with a loner at no charge and it would take roughly a day. I don't really have any say on if 880$ is a reasonable price, I'm just letting you know what price I managed to get them down to, but seeing as we're in the same ballpark I would think that might be as low as you'll get them.

Everyone I inquired suggested changing the water pump along with the timing belt and I had never heard of changing it on the second timing belt. I mean this could be because they wanted to milk every dollar they could out of me, but what I generally got from this forum is that you do them at the same time. I would be very interested in hearing other peoples answer on this as I haven't had the work done on mine yet.

Hope this helps you somewhat with the first question.
Old 12-07-12, 08:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I heard that our water pumps are very reliable and can usually go that long, but I would change it anyway. They're not that expensive and it's a lot easier to do it at the same time, than to deal with a leak later on.
Old 12-07-12, 08:23 PM
PPJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
I need my timing belt changed soon as well and i'm only a novice at mechanics so I also called around the SF bay area. I generally got better deals from the dealerships than local shops. For me the best price I found was 800$ at the lexus dealership for the timing belt and water pump. They would supply me with a loner at no charge and it would take roughly a day. I don't really have any say on if 880$ is a reasonable price, I'm just letting you know what price I managed to get them down to, but seeing as we're in the same ballpark I would think that might be as low as you'll get them.

Everyone I inquired suggested changing the water pump along with the timing belt and I had never heard of changing it on the second timing belt. I mean this could be because they wanted to milk every dollar they could out of me, but what I generally got from this forum is that you do them at the same time. I would be very interested in hearing other peoples answer on this as I haven't had the work done on mine yet.

Hope this helps you somewhat with the first question.
Thank you for quick reply. With your info, I guess $800-900 is standard price for dealer. I think I'll be on the safe with water pump.
Old 12-07-12, 08:28 PM
PPJ
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I heard that our water pumps are very reliable and can usually go that long, but I would change it anyway. They're not that expensive and it's a lot easier to do it at the same time, than to deal with a leak later on.
Thank you for quick reply. That's what the local shop told me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll check with the Toyota dealer what else are included other than the timing belt and water pump.
Old 12-07-12, 09:46 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

local mechanic here in Canada (where we always pay more than US pricing) told me 3.7 hours for labor, @ $80/hour = $300. I looked on rockauto and tensioners, belt, W/P seem to be about $200, maybe $300. So I would h ave thought $600 should be do-able.
Old 12-07-12, 11:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by canucklehe
local mechanic here in Canada (where we always pay more than US pricing) told me 3.7 hours for labor, @ $80/hour = $300. I looked on rockauto and tensioners, belt, W/P seem to be about $200, maybe $300. So I would h ave thought $600 should be do-able.
That's if your mechanic accepts the parts. Most places will refuse to do the work, because they want to make money off of the parts as well. For a dealership, $800 is a good price, since you're guaranteed OE parts.
Old 12-07-12, 11:06 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by canucklehe
you're local mechanic values his time a lot lower than the mechanics around here, I can't find anyone who values there time at lower than 125$/hour. Also my mechanics estimate around 5 hours of labor. Meaning around 925 before taxes. But either way, you are lucky if you can get it for so cheap. I wish I were you
Old 12-07-12, 11:25 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

yeah, our dealers are getting up around $120+/hr. the guy I spoke with looked at some sort of flat rate time fee schedule, I assume an electronic version of Chiltons?? that was the number he told me. Same guy charged me 3 hours to re & re VC gaskets, clean throttle body, clean EGR, replace plugs (i know, some of this is redundant, but some shops try to double up more on their time). He also test drove car and checked my motor mounts for a clunk, and also found a loose RR hub/bearing assembly. I thought it was very decent of him to not tack on the extra stuff.

anyways, it is hard to find a good, reliable, honest guy at a smaller shop with decent rates. but if you ask friends, etc... sometimes you'll luck out.
Old 12-07-12, 11:28 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

yeah, you're right Mr. Booby, most places won't accept other parts. typically they mark up 20%. I tell them to add more time to cover what they have to, as I have a couple of excellent sources for parts (on my Ford truck).
Old 12-08-12, 07:33 PM
PPJ
Driver School Candidate

Called Lexus dealer today. The quote was around $700 plus tax for timing belt only. They'll inspect and replace other things if needed. Asked about water pump, they'll charge only part for $180 if the pump is bad.

Toyota dealer said similar thing. The quote for timing belt with pump and seals was around $880 included tax and they'll inspect and replaced other things for extra cost if needed.

First independent lexus/toyota shop with genuine parts for belt, water pump and everything for $975. This one is sure thing I'end up paying $975, no more no less.

Second independent shop for belt without water pump for $700. They'll inspect and replace other things for little bit extra cost if needed.

Look like Lexus dealer is good deal but not sure if it's good idea since it'll start from $700 but I may end up paying more for other parts.

Any opinion would be appreciated.
Old 12-08-12, 08:18 PM
JSM
Driver

Just learn to do it and spend $350.

Otherwise your going to call 3 other places and get 3 other prices. It's not hard, just time consuming and time is money.

Unless you've used the independents or know someone who has, for the differenece in price go to the dealer. The only reason I say this is if something else is found wrong or breaks, a lot of times they have the parts on hand.

If it's your only mode of transportation it sucks not having a car.
Old 12-09-12, 01:08 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

not sure what lexus charges for water pump or pulleys, but in every other walk of life, all those things seem to get done at same time, just cuz you're there already and parts cost is minimal compared to labor later on to do it. maybe budget that it will need to be done and you won't be disappointed. If the water pump isn't leaking...what else can they tell you other than it is good? if pulleys don't squeak, bearing is good at the moment (unless it's loose/sloppy, but then it'd probably be noisy).

**** I'm assuming lexus uses similar tensioner to others, but since I read there may be 2 pulleys or tensioners.... I could be wrong on that part****
Old 12-09-12, 01:51 PM
toytrain13
Rookie

For my '02 ES300, my local Toyota dealer will charge me a "package" priceof $474 (parts and labor) to change the timing belt, accessory belts and crank seal. I'm taking them up on this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions about timing belt replacement