ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

which brand of timing belt & valve gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 11:02 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which brand of timing belt & valve gaskets?

I am replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 93 ES300. On rockauto I seem to have 2 choices for the complete set: Beck Arnley, and DNP. DNP is cheaper price. Does it really matter?

I also thought I'd order my timing belt as it's been about 75K miles since last one was done. MANY choices on rockauto. Which one is to get, which to avoid?

What do I need to order for timing belt?... I believe I read 2 pulleys, water pump & timing belt. Are there additional gaskets that will be needed while doing this?

thanks!
Old 12-02-12, 03:40 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

valve cover - get whatever they sell 'dependable' parts in my experience.

I'd suggest an Aisin timing belt kit - if available, since its OEM get the complete one, then order a hydraulic tensioner [if applicable on your motor], and cam seals.
Old 12-02-12, 04:21 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gates makes best belts imo
Old 12-02-12, 04:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,711 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Definitely get the Aisin timing belt kit, it costs more but worth it. For the valve cover gasket kit, I would recommend the Ishino part number ISH1738148. This is the same thing as OEM. Don't forget you will need a plenum gasket as well, sometimes you can reuse them but best to just replace it. You may also need the EGR downpipe gasket, most of the time you can reuse them because they are metal, but not always. Don't forget to replace the EGR valve.

Note: The Aisin timing belt kit for this engine does not come with the hydraulic tensioner. They are usually good and can be reused, but check under the rubber boot, if you see anything more than a hint of oil, replace it.
Old 12-02-12, 06:09 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

As said above, get the Aisin kit with a waterpump, then also get the hydraulic tensioner, two camshaft seals, and the oil pump seal.

As for the valve covers, I got mine through Lexus - fairly inexpensive. You're gonna need more parts than just gaskets, it's a bit of a nightmare. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 12-02-12, 09:05 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

yeah, i noticed the Aisin was quite a bit more $$. The timing belt can wait for another 20-30K, just wondered if it made sense to do it while the VC gaskets were being done? Is there much repeat work if I just do VC now, and wait for timing belt later?

I'm thinking this will be the last timing belt that gets done. Car is a '93. Will probably only drive it a few more years at which time it will be a high miler and not worth much for re-sale, and be a money pit with stuff breaking, wearing out, etc.. I appreciate that Aisin is better quality, but maybe I can get away with a slightly lesser brand to save $$ ?? Gates belts... I dunno.... we ride quads and Gates seem to get some bad reviews on the belt drive ATVs. Dayco has been pretty good in ATV application/belt drive....

good info guys on the VC job. I figured from looking at some of the how-to pics that there might be more gaskets involved. "Plenum"... I assume is the big metal thing that looks like an intake manifold ? I definitely have to do the VC job soon as smell of burning oil while driving is disgusting.

EGR need replacing? I thought it could be cleaned.

I don't really want to tackle the VC job, but if I have to, I will. First I'll see what mechanic friend will charge. How much time should it take? It seems like 4-5 hours for the DIY guys, so maybe a bit less for mechanic.
Old 12-02-12, 10:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,711 Likes on 2,296 Posts

My mistake, meant to say PCV valve! Big difference there.

If you are planning on replacing the camshaft seals, it is much easier to do if you remove the cam bearing caps. Otherwise, you will need a seal puller, or use the screw into the seal trick, or other methods to pry the seal out. But to remove the bearing cap, you will need the valve covers to be removed. The plenum is indeed the very prominent part of the intake.

You can use a cheaper timing belt, but I would not skimp on the water pump. I've seen several people use GMB and other after market pumps and they failed soon after.
Old 12-03-12, 12:51 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

okay, so while the VC gaskets are off, camshaft seals would be prudent?

oil pump seal? I just assumed most oil pumps are located in oil pan area.... is it simple to do while the VCs are off?

Is there only one tensioner to replace? Not sure which vehicle I was recently poking into (could have been a Maxima, or a Lexus??)...but they said there were 2 tensioners to replace. sorry for my confusion.

anyways, can tensioner(s), timing belt and water pump all be done later with VCs left on and untouched?

I found a good write up on the VC, i'm sure there is one for the timing belt. Can anyone direct me to the timing belt how-to for this model?
thanks all!
Old 12-03-12, 09:55 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

You can do both jobs seperately, that's what I did. I just noticed that you have a 2ES, does your 93 have a 1MZFE? Those have a hydraulic tensioner (piston) and a tensioner pulley (the piston pushes on it).
Old 12-03-12, 10:43 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

thanks mr. booby. I might do the cam seals while that's apart, plus oil pump seal, and the VC gaskets, and whatever gaskets go with that job.

timing belt can wait.

sending out my cluster today to get lights and arrows replaced.
Old 12-03-12, 11:33 AM
canucklehe
Pole Position

I just called & decided to take this to mechanic. he'll order parts.

he said wait to do cam seals when timing belt is done.

so while this is being done, I should also replace PCV valve, get EGR cleaned, and clean throttle body?? anything else? new plugs maybe?
Old 12-03-12, 03:58 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Plugs and wires should be done while you have the plenum off. There are spark plug seals that go with the valve cover seals. Just so you know, you can't do the oil pump seal without removing the timing belt.

Last edited by Hayk; 12-03-12 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-03-12, 04:51 PM
canucklehe
Pole Position

plugs i agree. I have replaced plug wires over the years, but always wondered if it made any difference and if they are actually a wear-item. I have 140K on vehicle.
Old 12-03-12, 10:34 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Not too familiar with the 3VZ engine, might need EEngineer's input on this.