ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

**ES300 (Toyota Windom) Questions**

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-02, 07:26 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy **ES300 (Toyota Windom) Questions**

Hi (from australia)

Iv just bought a 1995 Toyota Windom (rebadge to Lexus ES300).
and i have a few Questions to ask. (First of all this is my first car! and Iv just had a full major service done on it)

1) Is there any difference between 1995 es300 and Toyota Windom? (in terms of engine and performance.)

2) It has clocked 57,000km's only.. is it posible for a digital display like mine to be reversed??

3) Im not 100% confident about the car yet, but the car drives great!..

------------------

Now for the serious Questions.

1) Just today, went i started the car it was struggling to start(sounds like it was losing power.) Any ideas?

2) After this, when the car is running (in PARK) the engine sounds like it has astma!! (reving up and down) and the battery warning light is on and other two warnings which i cant figure out. (but not the engine).. any ideas?

Ill be taking it to my mechanic .. i hope it's nothing major!?
Old 12-04-02, 07:59 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations on the purchase.

Can't say exactly what's causing your problem but you just reminded me of something kinda interesting I didn't know about until recently. On some Toyota V6's, including the one in 92-93 ES's and possibly others, there is an extra fuel injector used to assist in cold starting. This injector commonly gets real dirty and a cleaning may help with sluggish cold starts. I can't say it made a real big difference on mine, but that injector was filthy and it feels better to know it's clean and working at full capacity.
Old 12-04-02, 10:38 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey welcome to Clublex and congrats on your purchase. Um, I wish Steve Barnes was still around to help us out on this...but my uncle had a Japanese Windom, 1992 in Japan. His car had the adjustable suspension (sport or luxury) that came stock on his car...you know, that thing thats on the new '02+ ES300s. His car also had the automatic/electronic folding side mirrors, and a rear window wiper. If your car has these, then its different from the US cars.
sorry can't think of anything to say about your engine problems right now.
Old 12-04-02, 11:42 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the ppl who replied ...

pls keep posting more opinions..

Yep i have the wipers in the back and also the side mirrors that folds automatically (electronically controlled).

ill post pictures of it soon.. but im just stressed atm about the problems iv been getting.. urgh..
Old 12-14-02, 12:57 PM
Steve Barnes
Lead Lap

I'm still here!

I will answer a few questions

There is no difference in the engine of the US or Jap versions. Although the good part about the jap version is that they are tuned to use 100 octane.. so the higher octane you use the better.

The digital display may possible be able to convert.. mine still runs in KPH.... looks cool when the needle hits 180! But needs derestricting.

The problem you are having on the start i sometimes experience... I did think that maybe it was the stepper motor.. but having second thoughts... this only happens on a warm start! Cold starts are fine.

Check your air intake hose is not leaking.. rev the car up under the bonnet... if you hear air being sucked or jiggle the hose and if the car stalls then the hose is split.

The differences i am aware of between jap and US spec.

Elec Folding/heated mirrors
Interior Air purifier
Sport mode suspension
Rear wiper

Also a possibility would be foot brake instaed of hand brake(please correct me)

Steve

Last edited by Steve Barnes; 12-14-02 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-14-02, 07:01 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Steve

That helped alot!.. I have my problems fixed .. the problem was that my alternator was dead... it wouldn't recharge the battery.. so i had that recondition.. So now it works great!.. im really happy with the car

With the higher octane fuel .. i can really tell the difference !! I picked up my girlfriend with her parents in the Airport..with my boot, full loaded with her luggages .. and the car didnt show any problems or hardships at all!! - (thanks for the info about the fuel!

I am aware of the difference now But im not sure about the:
- Interior Air purifier
- Sport mode suspension
I dont know how to turn these on/off or operate it. (i dont have the car manual)

yes yes your right it's a foot brake.. (in which im trying to get used to)

thanks again steve