ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bluetooth for the 3ES Stock Radio?

Old 11-18-12, 09:56 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Bluetooth for the 3ES Stock Radio?

Just running some ideas that I had. Instead of adding an auxiliary jack to the stock radio unit, could you add some sort of a Bluetooth receiver that would be hidden inside the dash? I was thinking that you could wire it up the same way as the AUX jack, except that you will also need an additional power source for the adapter.

I want something that can be hidden away from view, so that I could get rid of the cassette adapter, yet still keep the factory look.
Old 11-19-12, 12:20 PM
Gchutes
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I frequent the bmw forums, and have seen them adding bluetooth to specialty oem headunits, but It requires extensive electrical knowledge and extreme fabrication, I remember seeing something about getting an aux jack in somewhere behind the stock head unit, but I'm not sure at all.

Sorry nobody knows
Old 11-19-12, 03:44 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You could get a bluetooth receiver and plug it into the AUX, as you suggested.

I do that in my RX300. I use a Kanex Airblue, it was only $20 on sale. Work's well, and the charge lasts quite a while.
Old 11-19-12, 08:02 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Either way, you have to add an input to the factory radio. Adding Bluetooth in addition to a simple jack is the same end. I'd think unless integrated into the the car, pairing a bluetooth device to some intermediate box just to get to an aux input might be more trouble than worth?

I like you desire a clean/hidden look. I had an aux added in the back of the radio, ran the cable into the ashtray. I have my Nano in there, it is very clean. I'm going to make it even a bit better soon if I ever get some of that free time stuff...
Old 11-19-12, 09:06 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I think I just found a solution. iSimple Bluetooth FM Transmitter ISFM21 (Hard Wired). It plugs into the antenna jack and locks onto one of your FM stations.
You end up losing AM radio, but who uses that anyway.. It also seems like I will need to wire an On/Off Switch (comes with the kit), in order to reset the transmitter once in a while.

Amazon Amazon

Already placed an order. I'll update this once I get it installed and working.

p.s.: Was searching for videos of the modulator, and I came across Hypervish's video review of another iSimple product.

Last edited by Hayk; 01-22-13 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-12, 09:55 PM
illsayuhh
Driver School Candidate

Is there a DIY to add aux to the stock unit?
Old 11-20-12, 03:38 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
I think I just found a solution. iSimple Bluetooth FM Transmitter ISFM21 (Hard Wired). It plugs into the antenna jack and locks onto one of your FM stations.
You end up losing AM radio, but who uses that anyway.. It also seems like I will need to wire an On/Off Switch (comes with the kit), in order to reset the transmitter once in a while.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A18CQ5FFITKTLU

Already placed an order. I'll update this once I get it installed and working.

p.s.: Was searching for videos of the modulator, and I came across Hypervish's video review of another iSimple product.
Yes, I have the iSimple IS77 in my RX. It works pretty well for what it is. It completely blocks out all other stations when you have the On/Off switch turned ON, you can select between two stations on the modulator itself (at least that's how mine is). If you put the On/Off switch in the Off position, it will allow you to use FM stations ( again that's how it works on mine, yours may be diff.)
Old 11-20-12, 12:09 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

I don't like the FM modulator route, no matter how great the signal is there is extra processing involved in converting to FM signal and then the tuner converts it back. Many tuners in a radio are going to apply their own EQ/mod to the signal to make FM sound better, so now you pass the audio through that. Nevermind you are passing through the Bluetooth domain before you even get that far.

It simply won't sound as good as an aux-in wired directly to the pre-amp in the headunit. My direct aux in sounds really good using an iPod.

Of course do report back on this and let us know how it works out maybe I am way off base...
Old 11-21-12, 11:44 AM
JSM
Driver

Hey MB, what's wrong with this option:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...intensive.html
Old 11-21-12, 05:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are GROM kits for the 3ES
Old 11-21-12, 06:52 PM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

Everyone says it won't work, but I have yet to figure out why. The part is listed for Toyota, Scion, and Lexus from '97 (or '98) and up. I have looked at pics of the back of several of the radios from different years and the plug fro the CD changer looks the same. Plus, it doesn't make much sense to have a different plug fro the same parts in what amounts to the same vehicle. The earlist it listes for Lexus is '99, and that is the RX and IS, the ES isn't shown until '01. But I still don't see why it'll work with a '98 Camry but not ours
Old 11-21-12, 08:00 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

That CD changer interface may work. Especially if it says it works with the 2001 ES the radio is the same as the earlier years.

The reason why it might not work is that the various models share wiring i.e. the "plugs" are the same, that does not mean that they use the same control protocol on the wires therefore a changer type aux adapter is not guaranteed to work. For example the base Pioneer and the Nakamichi changers use slightly different wiring and neither is compatible with the other even though Pioneer makes the changer on both models.

I don't know who makes the Camry changer of the same vintage, could be a Pioneer though Fujitsu Ten is common in Toyotas too.
Old 11-22-12, 05:43 AM
JSM
Driver

This one says 98 but not in the drop down selection list. You may want to call. Could be just a typo or a glitch in their listing.
http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...e_adapter.html
Old 11-22-12, 11:14 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

I'll see how well the iSimple performs, before I start trying other methods. GROM is a lot more money for what it is. Also, if my sound quality is as good or better than the Cassette adapter - I will be very happy.
Old 11-22-12, 04:58 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

What do you mean Mr B you won't buy all the options and let us know what works best ;-)

Too late for me to try the GROM myself too. It may seem like a bit of money, though typical to this type you might have a rudimentary control of an iPod with the CD track buttons, iPod will pause when you shut down the car etc which is nice if you like that sort of thing. Right now I have to shut my iPod off every time I park the car annoying....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth for the 3ES Stock Radio?