ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Help for 99 Fogs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 08:59 PM
99LexusES300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for 99 Fogs

I was wondering. I want my fogs to be clear instead of having these weird vertical lines that obscure the lens. Also I was wondering how i could replace the bulbs on the fogs. I wanted to get slightly blue tinted bulbs instead of the ugly yellow like beams.
Old 12-03-02, 09:51 PM
MCV20
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first you need to unscrew the black plastic under your car...
then you will reach or touch the fog light housing.....

after that i unscrew the fog light housing(screw are on the rear)

change the light blub....
Old 12-03-02, 10:32 PM
99LexusES300
Driver School Candidate

hmm...i've heard that when you take out the plastic screws for the plastic bottom...that you need new ones to replace them? also...do i have to unscrew them? isnt there a way to just pull out the bulb and it's casing w/ wires rather than takin off the whole foglight? or is that the only way?
Old 12-04-02, 01:14 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just replaced the stock H3 fogs with PIAA Xtreme Whites in my 02 ES. They give the fog almost the same blue tint as the HID setup. The 99 ES may be similar.

1. Rasie the car and support with two jackstands. Never trust the jack alone.

2. Remove the bolts that hold the black plastic shield(s). (the 02 had 5 10mm bolts along the underside of the bumper.

3. The black plastic push pins come next. There where about 10-12. The 02 ES had 2 sections. I removed all but one push pin for each section. This way I could rotate the shield out of the way of the back of the fog light and get my head up in there. The shield was still attached so realignment took seconds.

4. The push pins could be removed with a large screw driver and a Ford Wrench (big f....n hammer). Just knock the head off them.

or use the large screwdrive and pry them out. They will make a pop and fall out. The 02 had pins that break upon removal. Don't worry, they are cheap.

5. The back of the fog light has a plactic cover that will turn 90 degrees and then pull out. Don't pull to far cause it is connected by two wires. One is the switch and one is the power to the bulb.

6. The white wire (for the stock and PIAAs) is the bulb wire, it pulls out from the housing unit with a little tug.

7. There is a spring clip that you push in and at the same time move to one side, then it pulls toward the back, releasing pressure on the bulb. Hold the bulb from the back. Pull it out slowly and orient yourself with the cut-outs on the ground plate of the bulb. One side had a square notch and opposite that was a half moon notch. Remeber which is up and which is down, or left and right. The exiting bulb is your guide for insertion of the new bulb.

8. Insert the new buld in the same orientation, put the spring clip back, plug in the wire, replace the black cover and move to the other fog light. DON'T TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE FINGER. Body oils will create hot spots on the glass and the crack or burn out quicker.

9. The other fog light interesting enough was the same, but the spring clip and wire were opposite and upside down from the first side. My guess is that Lexus makes one housing and uses it on both sides, thus making a mirror image.

10. Turn on your lights to see if you connected them right.

11. Stand back and admire your work.

12. Get back under the car and reposition the shields. Put the bolts in but not tight all the way.

13. Replace the push pins with new ones (Lexus parts department if you want original) or AutoZone for a bag of push pins--usually a bag of 10 costs about $3.00. The push pins come in many sizes and varieties. Bring one of the popped originals with you to size correctly. The christmas tree type can be used several times before the multitude of tiny barbs are too weak.

12. Tighten the bolts, lower the car. Drive to friend's house and show them what you did. Enjoy the rest of your day.

This took me about 45 minutes. I didn't raise the car, so it was a bit tight but do-able. The car is stock and not lowered.

The PIAAs were $63.99/pr. They are a 55w buld but emit the equivalent of a 110w. Replace the bulb with the same wattage (check your manual). There ain't much room in the housings for more heat.

I like them better than the stock. There is a thread in the lighting section and the general ES section that has my picture of this. Two 02 ES's side by each. The left ES is stock, the right ES has the PIAAs. You can see the color difference in the light shown on the driveway.

Good luck and have fun.

sj
Old 07-19-03, 08:28 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile fog light upgrade on '01 ES

Bringing out the dead (thread, that is)...

After having the PIAA Xtreme White fog bulbs lying around for a couple months, I finally managed the time today to try installing them in my '01 ES. When I got myself underneath the front bumper, I quickly discovered that the plastic splash guards cannot be readily disassembled because they were each held by some tough plastic push pins and unremovable bolts of unknown size. However, there are about 3-4 10mm bolts surrounding each of the plastic guards, so I removed them and bent the plastic down and out just enough so that I can see the fog light bulb assembly and reach in with my hand. I followed Steve's instructions on removing the bulbs, and it took quite a while to go through considering the tight position I was in with the plastic guards not completely removed. As always, I remembered to wear rubber gloves when handling the old and new bulbs.

Basically, it took me a little less than an hour to complete the job, and when I was done and tested the bulbs out, I couldn't be any happier with the results. Here's a comparison picture of my stock and PIAA fogs. You can see a slightly bluish tint around the new fogs, as opposed to the typical yellowish halogen kind. Of course, nothing's better than seeing the lighting upgrades in person, but this is as good as it gets by camera
Attached Thumbnails Help for 99 Fogs-old-new.jpg  
Old 07-19-03, 08:50 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

When I turn on the fog lights on my '03 ES they look pretty wimpy(yellow looking) compared to the HID headlights. I was wondering if there is a better bulb to use that has a bluer look??

Edit: Has anybody used these: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-15617.cfm

Last edited by amf1932; 07-19-03 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-20-03, 12:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Alan,
go with the H3 PIAA Extreme White Plus.
These are what lexusk8 put in his ES. I know cause I gave them to him when I switched them out for the PIAA Ion Crystals (I like the look of yellow fogs better).

Now for the 02/03 ES with HID, the color of the bulb when viewed from the drivers seat is almost a mute point cause the fall off from the HID is so great it overpowers your fog bulb illumination.

But, (you know there is always a but), the color of the bulb when viewed from the outside (that's why we mod our cars...right?) is almost identical to the HID color.

a pair will run you about $70 and it is very easy to put in.

PS, can you make the CT meet on Sat 8/2? I am still dying to get a side by side of the spoilers.

Steviej

Last edited by steviej; 07-20-03 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-20-03, 02:17 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Steviej,
Where in CT. is this meet being held? All I have to do is set my NAV to the place and away we go. hehehe!
Old 07-20-03, 08:25 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Alan,
check out the info in this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=89525

steviej
Old 05-27-05, 06:46 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Bringing out the dead (thread, that is)...

After having the PIAA Xtreme White fog bulbs lying around for a couple months, I finally managed the time today to try installing them in my '01 ES. When I got myself underneath the front bumper, I quickly discovered that the plastic splash guards cannot be readily disassembled because they were each held by some tough plastic push pins and unremovable bolts of unknown size. However, there are about 3-4 10mm bolts surrounding each of the plastic guards, so I removed them and bent the plastic down and out just enough so that I can see the fog light bulb assembly and reach in with my hand. I followed Steve's instructions on removing the bulbs, and it took quite a while to go through considering the tight position I was in with the plastic guards not completely removed. As always, I remembered to wear rubber gloves when handling the old and new bulbs.

Basically, it took me a little less than an hour to complete the job, and when I was done and tested the bulbs out, I couldn't be any happier with the results. Here's a comparison picture of my stock and PIAA fogs. You can see a slightly bluish tint around the new fogs, as opposed to the typical yellowish halogen kind. Of course, nothing's better than seeing the lighting upgrades in person, but this is as good as it gets by camera
Doug,

Steviej & I are going to do the same to my 01 ES as you did in the next day or so (fog's only as I have the HID's), did you need to jack the front of the car up or were you able to do it when the car was sitting normally? I wonder how difficult it is to take the splash guard right off for easier access to the fog light assembly? I'm sure we won't have any problems, was just courious is all.
Old 05-27-05, 09:28 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
Doug,

Steviej & I are going to do the same to my 01 ES as you did in the next day or so (fog's only as I have the HID's), did you need to jack the front of the car up or were you able to do it when the car was sitting normally? I wonder how difficult it is to take the splash guard right off for easier access to the fog light assembly? I'm sure we won't have any problems, was just courious is all.
Hey Brenden,

So I see Steve made it to Toronto safely, that's good to hear. Tell him I said hi

When I accessed the fogs back when I had the PIAA Xtreme White H3 bulbs, I originally had the car on ramps, which created a lot of headroom and space to see the work I was doing. I also changed the bulbs when the car was just sitting on ground, and I was fine with that. This all depends on your preference, but for most, they would rather have the car jacked up. The old splash guard I had could not be completely removed because of a couple of 10mm bolts that were stubborn and couldn't be budged, so what I did was take out all the bolts I can and twist the plastic guard out of the way so I could stick my hand behind the fog bulbs. For your ES though, you may be able to completely remove the plastic splash guard, and that should make the job more convenient.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions about this issue. Oh, and don't forget to take pics of your new fogs when you're done
Old 05-27-05, 09:41 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by lexusk8
Hey Brenden,

So I see Steve made it to Toronto safely, that's good to hear. Tell him I said hi

When I accessed the fogs back when I had the PIAA Xtreme White H3 bulbs, I originally had the car on ramps, which created a lot of headroom and space to see the work I was doing. I also changed the bulbs when the car was just sitting on ground, and I was fine with that. This all depends on your preference, but for most, they would rather have the car jacked up. The old splash guard I had could not be completely removed because of a couple of 10mm bolts that were stubborn and couldn't be budged, so what I did was take out all the bolts I can and twist the plastic guard out of the way so I could stick my hand behind the fog bulbs. For your ES though, you may be able to completely remove the plastic splash guard, and that should make the job more convenient.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions about this issue. Oh, and don't forget to take pics of your new fogs when you're done
Yup, Steve arrived here safely......ask him about the Canadian Gease 'incident' when he was driving up here

I appreciate your help Doug. I hope to have the Fog's & the rear turn signal bulbs (Stealth) installed before the meet Saturday & have pics of both Steve & my ES on CL & LOC real soon!

P.S. Don't ask Steve how the Boston Red Sox did against our Toronto Blue Jay's when we went to the game.......it's a touchy subject lol.
Old 06-03-05, 05:26 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

So where are the pics of you and Steve's car? I want to see your new fogs too
Old 06-03-05, 05:37 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Stevie where ya been? How ya been? Where's the pix? You going to Woburn Tomorrow? Only 15 more questions to go. J/K
Old 06-03-05, 06:20 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Originally Posted by superpats
Stevie where ya been? How ya been? Where's the pix? You going to Woburn Tomorrow? Only 15 more questions to go. J/K
lol super!