ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY- 4ES- Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation– Picture Intensive

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 12:37 PM
Mickeypro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am close to getting one of these for my 03 ES330. I chatted with Grom today and they said they do not recommend using the external changer as it can cause problems. In addition they currently do not have a cable to directly connect to the lightning port of the iphone 5.
Old 09-02-13, 11:36 AM
Mickeypro
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

ordered it, received it, installed it......defective right out of the box apparently
Old 12-31-13, 12:50 PM
msekanha
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like I will be joining the Grom bandwagon also...

I just ordered one of these puppies this morning, oh yeahhh!

It's an older I2-TOY unit, but it seems like it will be compatible with my '05 Es... But hey, for $40 dollars, it's a bargin I couldn't say NO to..
It comes with the 3.5mm aux male insert and ipod wiring harness, as well with the unit itself..
Non-bluetooth capable, but i'm not concerned with that..
Hopefully I will still be able to use my steering wheel controls with this module...

Originally Posted by KLF
Tossing this thread back up to the top, as I found it very useful today when installing my GROM. No iPod/iPhone for me, I ended up buying the USB2 Plus unit, plus I also added the Bluetooth module and the AUX-IN cable. Very easy install on the GROM, and it actually works better than I expected, it has more features and better integration that I thought.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

My phone is a Droid RAZR MAXX, and I bought the specific Motorola Mobile Dock for it on Amazon:

http://www.motorola.com/us/consumers...,en_US,pd.html

Originally I had planned to get a bracket from either PanaVise or Pro-Fit:

http://www.panavise.com/pdf_indash/75136-202.pdf
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/LX-52-01.pdf (page 2)

but, when I looked at the brackets, popped the dash apart, scrounged around the garage, I decided "I can make one better than that". A few hours later, some 16ga steel, a welder, and I had a better design that was mounted essentially the same. I had to kinda dissect the dock to get it mounted on my bracket, but it was worth it.

A few notes on the install for the GROM:

* I started by unscrewing the shifter **** (so it can't get damaged), set it aside, then take a small screwdriver and pop out the little cover that lets you move the shifter without the key. Otherwise, once the shifter is out of P, the key is captive in the ignition, so you'd have to listen to that annoying "bong bong bong...". Stick the shifter down in D, then just pop off the entire surround on the console including the ashtray. Carefully unplug the ashtray connector and any other connectors (my car as the rear window shade, one other plug to disconnect). Then set the console cover out of the way in a safe place.

* Put a thick towel over the shifter stub. This will protect the HVAC module, which really does just pop out, no tools required. DO NOT DISCONNECT ANY OF THE CABLES ON THE BACK! (warning on both the Panavise and Pro.Fit document) I suspect that if you disconnect them that this will trigger something bad with the security system.

* As the photos from hypervish show, there are 4 bolts that need to be removed from under the stereo, my Nav/ML unit was the same. The upper 2 are pretty far recessed, you'll need a short extension and a flashlight. 10 mm socket. Once those are out, put another heavy towel over the HVAC unit, then gently pull out on the entire stereo section, it will come out with the head unit and all.

* My GROM interface cable plugged into where the CD Changer connects, but it's a "daisy chain" connection, meaning you plug the changer back into the other end of the GROM harness. I removed my CD Changer years ago (it broke, good riddance), so I have no way to test to see if it would still work now. Once you have the interface cable attached, you can gently put the head unit section back. Very easy!

* I put my Bluetooth mic in pretty much the same spot. I found these nifty plastic pry tools very helpful for tucking the wire under the headliner and down the A-pillar.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...80691/10002/-1

* There is a LOT of room in the dash under the HVAC unit and behind the ashtray/console cover to hide stuff. I also put my GROM "brain" on the ductwork, same place, with some strong double-stick tape.

* I tried the proprietary AALinQ app on my phone, but honestly, I didn't like it. I had to use the charging cable that came with my phone to connect, not the cable that is integrated into the car dock. The interface is kinda crude, too clumsy to navigate through the ~15GB of music on my phone. Besides, I really intend to just use Pandora most of the time.

* So, I'm using the Bluetooth adapter to connect the phone for both the audio streaming and hands-free. So far I am really impressed with the connection and features. I pop the phone into the dock, set the stereo in CD Changer mode which automatically goes to "BT STREAM" on the display, the phone automatically goes into "Car Mode" with a special home screen, then hit the Pandora app, and tunes start in a few seconds, even on 3G. Navigation, phone calls, Poweramp, everything comes through the speakers. And, it charges the battery at the same time. Phone calls dim the music volume as it should, and I even found that the "forward/back" buttons on the steering wheel communicate with Pandora and Poweramp. I swear the thing looks factory!
KLF, I am loving that bracket you have for your phone. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that setup cost you?

EDIT: I just realized that you fabricated that dock yourself. Very nice. Do you have any pics of that bracket you made? I, myself would love to fabricate my own bracket.
I find it crazy paying over $40 for a little piece of metal.

Last edited by msekanha; 12-31-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-01-14, 12:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Put this in my 2004, and it's great. Can control it through the navigation.
Old 03-02-14, 07:59 PM
FutureOwnr
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you install a grom unit on the 04-06 ES330 radio or radio with nav and mark levinson, whether or not the in dash CD changer stops working?

I understand if the changer was in another location, but considering that the changer is built into the dash unit, I didn't know whether or not this prevents the use of CDs with the grom install since everyone says it gets plugged into the CD changer port.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-14, 04:52 PM
Sadiekins
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!!!! This was so awesome. Helped me install this unit into my rx 330!!! I'm not a DIY person at all so this tutorial was a god send. It works so well!!! Makes me wonder why I was using the cassette adapter for so long!!!!
Old 06-16-14, 05:58 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadiekins
Thanks!!!! This was so awesome. Helped me install this unit into my rx 330!!! I'm not a DIY person at all so this tutorial was a god send. It works so well!!! Makes me wonder why I was using the cassette adapter for so long!!!!
You're welcome! Glad to hear it helped you!
Old 10-01-14, 01:08 PM
My03Tundra
Rookie

Being new to Lexus, and needing a hands-free solution, I find this thread extremely useful. Thank you everyone for such detailed information. It will be very helpful for me with my 2005 ES 330.
Old 10-01-14, 02:48 PM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The in dash CD player will continue to work. The 6 disk changer in the console will not.

I contacted Grom to verify that there is no difference between the kit for the regular system and the ML/Nav system. There is not, they are the same.

Haven't installed it yet but I much prefer a usb flash drive loaded with music than the built in CD changer. I'm looking forward to a great variety of music.
Old 10-03-14, 05:33 PM
My03Tundra
Rookie

Now, I do have a question about the GROM unit. Other then on the phone itself, is there any way to wire in an LCD module to display caller ID information? Some calls I get I'd rather not answer, and my phone is usually on vibrate.
Old 10-26-14, 05:08 PM
My03Tundra
Rookie

Sadly, my GROM USB2 Plus came with many issues. Wrong cable, as I had a "spare" pigtail that didn't really go to anything or matchup with any plugs. Once installed, I had to do a firmware update so my iPhone 5S could connect to it. I couldn't get it to switch to the 30 pin cord I bought so my Mom's iPhone 4S could connect and charge, too. Eventually, the device quit working!

The only good thing I had was the USB install in my center console went awesome, even if I did have to break out my Dremel to modify the 12V charging outlet,

I have reached out to Autotoys for support, but I'll probably get a replacement directly from GROM and go that route,
Old 10-26-14, 06:17 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My03Tundra
Sadly, my GROM USB2 Plus came with many issues. Wrong cable, as I had a "spare" pigtail that didn't really go to anything or matchup with any plugs. Once installed, I had to do a firmware update so my iPhone 5S could connect to it. I couldn't get it to switch to the 30 pin cord I bought so my Mom's iPhone 4S could connect and charge, too. Eventually, the device quit working!

The only good thing I had was the USB install in my center console went awesome, even if I did have to break out my Dremel to modify the 12V charging outlet,

I have reached out to Autotoys for support, but I'll probably get a replacement directly from GROM and go that route,
Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun.

Hopefully GROM will get a replacement unit out to you ASAP.
Old 10-27-14, 06:00 AM
Fritz330
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to send mine back. It did not work.

05 ES330 with ML and Nav.

With CD Changer disconnect, radio would not go into CD Changer mode. Even after flashing the Grom unit.
Old 10-27-14, 01:05 PM
My03Tundra
Rookie

This was the last e-mail I got from Autotoys.com.

"You are using it wrong.
The password to the forums was sent to you in an email, it is also on your invoice
It is helpme - answer the questions in the forum."

I thought it was rather curt and I am not impressed by their "technical support," or their customer service. After that e-mail from them I sent a reply back asking for my money. I highly doubt I will buy from them or recommend them to anyone. I will be uninstalling the remaining elements (except the center console USB) and sending them back.

This has been a HORRIBLE experience for me, and a rough couple of days off. I took my car down to a Lexus dealership to fix the front guard on the underside of the car and now the signal beep for the doors is barely audible. Sigh.

Last edited by My03Tundra; 10-27-14 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-27-14, 01:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by My03Tundra
This was the last e-mail I got from Autotoys.com.

"You are using it wrong.
The password to the forums was sent to you in an email, it is also on your invoice
It is helpme - answer the questions in the forum."

I thought it was rather curt and I am not impressed by their "technical support," or their customer service. After that e-mail from them I sent a reply back asking for my money. I highly doubt I will buy from them or recommend them to anyone. I will be uninstalling the remaining elements (except the center console USB) and sending them back.

This has been a HORRIBLE experience for me, and a rough couple of days off. I took my car down to a Lexus dealership to fix the front guard on the underside of the car and now the signal beep for the doors is barely audible. Sigh.
You should have bought directly from GROM, I had an excellent experience with them.

BTW, you can adjust the door lock beep. There's a **** you can turn underneath the dash on the drivers side.

Quick Reply: DIY- 4ES- Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation– Picture Intensive