ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY- 4ES- Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation– Picture Intensive

Old 11-14-12, 12:36 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I may have just missed it among all the photos, but did you list what the size of the bolt heads are? I just want to make sure I have the right head size as I'm away at college and I get my GROM unit tomorrow
Old 11-14-12, 03:41 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by PuReChaos
I may have just missed it among all the photos, but did you list what the size of the bolt heads are? I just want to make sure I have the right head size as I'm away at college and I get my GROM unit tomorrow
It must have slipped my mind to write it in the DIY, they are 10mm bolts.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm glad to help.
Old 11-14-12, 03:42 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vietalogy
99 rx300
The installation on an RX300 is even easier than this: http://www.gromaudio.com/installs/le...be_video_.html

But, keep in mind on an RX300 it will disable the external CD changer. That's pretty much the only reason why I haven't bought one myself for the RX.
Old 11-14-12, 04:23 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
It must have slipped my mind to write it in the DIY, they are 10mm bolts.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm glad to help.
Quite alright, 10mm seems to be standard bolts for lexus. Just waiting til later today when hopefully my GROM unit will be coming in.
Old 11-14-12, 03:48 PM
vietalogy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The installation on an RX300 is even easier than this: http://www.gromaudio.com/installs/le...be_video_.html

But, keep in mind on an RX300 it will disable the external CD changer. That's pretty much the only reason why I haven't bought one myself for the RX.
Yeah I saw that. No need for the cd changer I have all my music is on my iPhone anyway. Been using cassette tape adaptor.
Old 11-14-12, 07:18 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Hypervish, this may just be me being overly cautious, but I couldn't for the life of me get the climate control unit out. I wound up removing the molding around the gear shifter and looking underneath to see what my problem was but I still was unable to remove it. Any suggestions? I mean I got the clips to the point where they were nearly clear of what was holding them, but then it wouldn't go any further. I feel like I'm just being overly cautious, but figured I'd check in here first.
Old 11-15-12, 03:33 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Hypervish, this may just be me being overly cautious, but I couldn't for the life of me get the climate control unit out. I wound up removing the molding around the gear shifter and looking underneath to see what my problem was but I still was unable to remove it. Any suggestions? I mean I got the clips to the point where they were nearly clear of what was holding them, but then it wouldn't go any further. I feel like I'm just being overly cautious, but figured I'd check in here first.
Try prying a bit from both sides. My climate control unit pops out pretty easily (as in prying from two locations, and then pulling with a sharp tug) now that I've removed it a few times.

Always good to be cautious, don't want to break anything.
Old 11-15-12, 10:42 AM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

Try prying a bit from both sides. My climate control unit pops out pretty easily (as in prying from two locations, and then pulling with a sharp tug) now that I've removed it a few times.

Always good to be cautious, don't want to break anything.
Thanks, one last question before I go back out and give it a try. Did you unplug the climate control? Theres no real mention of it, but I was just curious. I think I'm just cautious as this is my first major purchase over 15k. My old corolla was a beater and the electrical components weren't nearly as nice so I didn't mind using them to learn

Once again, thanks for this well written DIY.
Old 11-15-12, 11:06 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, one last question before I go back out and give it a try. Did you unplug the climate control? Theres no real mention of it, but I was just curious. I think I'm just cautious as this is my first major purchase over 15k. My old corolla was a beater and the electrical components weren't nearly as nice so I didn't mind using them to learn

Once again, thanks for this well written DIY.
You're welcome!

I left the climate control plugged in, there is a lot of sag in the cable to do that safely. If your more comfortable unplugging it then you can do that. I also left the clock and hazard cables plugged in as well, there was enough slack there as well.
Old 11-15-12, 04:02 PM
PuReChaos
Pole Position

You're welcome!

I left the climate control plugged in, there is a lot of sag in the cable to do that safely. If your more comfortable unplugging it then you can do that. I also left the clock and hazard cables plugged in as well, there was enough slack there as well.
Thanks, I just was curious if there would be some reset or something if I unplugged them, not that it would really matter. I managed to get it all successfully done and you were right, the audio is amazing.
Old 11-15-12, 04:33 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I just was curious if there would be some reset or something if I unplugged them, not that it would really matter. I managed to get it all successfully done and you were right, the audio is amazing.
Awesome!
Old 11-16-12, 11:01 AM
vietalogy
Rookie

Mine comes home today. Now waiting for warmer weather to install.
Old 11-18-12, 12:28 PM
vietalogy
Rookie

Just got done installing it was piece of cake. Music sounds great but the calls is not that great.

Hypervish how are your calls?

Last edited by vietalogy; 11-18-12 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-18-12, 04:57 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vietalogy
Just got done installing it was piece of cake. Music sounds great but the calls is not that great.

Hypervish how are your calls?
Call quality is pretty good for me (via iPhone 5 bluetooth).

Does the other person not hear you well? Or, can you not hear them well?
Old 11-18-12, 07:26 PM
vietalogy
Rookie

Call quality is pretty good for me (via iPhone 5 bluetooth).

Does the other person not hear you well? Or, can you not hear them well?
Guess calls are ok my girlfriend says she hears everything like noise also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY- 4ES- Grom USB Adapter + Bluetooth Dongle Installation– Picture Intensive