ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Anyone figured out the bed creaking noise from rear end?

Old 10-23-12, 08:13 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone figured out the bed creaking noise from rear end?

Curious to see if anyone has figured out a definitive solution to the bed creaking noise that seems relatively common on these forums. I read one post in particular of someone replacing virtually everything in the rear suspension to no avail. Seems that the rear control arms and possibly the sway bar end links are likely culprits, but who knows. Just want to make sure I don't start chasing an elusive problem.

From what I recall, the noise of bad struts and a bad bushing differ from each other. My noise is definitely from the rear (side unknown). The colder it is the worse it is; and is most apparent going over speed bumps. I don't think I can make the noise happen by just pushing on the suspension, but I could be wrong. I generally hear it when there is a large deflection in the suspension, but as it has gotten colder it has started to happen more often even over smaller bumps. It also seems to go away as I start to drive, but that could just be related to the ambient temperature increasing.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodRod (11-23-20)
Old 10-23-12, 08:35 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I have the same problem, also in for an answer. I went under the car and sprayed everything with lubricating oil and it stopped breifley. I also covered the polished shaft of the strut in grease.
Old 10-23-12, 03:18 PM
cvES300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the Hell! wow I thought I was going crazy!!! my car does the same Damn thing.... but for me I wana say its my strut mount.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 10-23-12, 04:10 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Even though you say that you're sure that the noise is from the rear, sound travels in such a way that iit could be eminating from the front. So don't dismiss a front component as a possible cause of the noise.

Phil
Old 10-23-12, 06:20 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
Even though you say that you're sure that the noise is from the rear, sound travels in such a way that iit could be eminating from the front. So don't dismiss a front component as a possible cause of the noise.

Phil
I do agree and will definitely look into the front bushings to see if there are any problems as well. I was fairly certain it was from the rear because the front clears speed bumps quietly and then the rear creaks as it goes up and over.

I'm hoping when I start poking around I'll see an obvious shattered bushing with a red neon sign above it saying "THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM".
Old 10-23-12, 06:44 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by schmoozer
I do agree and will definitely look into the front bushings to see if there are any problems as well. I was fairly certain it was from the rear because the front clears speed bumps quietly and then the rear creaks as it goes up and over.

I'm hoping when I start poking around I'll see an obvious shattered bushing with a red neon sign above it saying "THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM".
In my case, on my 2001 ES300 it it turned out to be the front Torsion Bar Links. At the time, I could have sworn that the noise was coming from the back.

Phil
Old 10-23-12, 07:14 PM
schmoozer
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
In my case, on my 2001 ES300 it it turned out to be the front Torsion Bar Links. At the time, I could have sworn that the noise was coming from the back.

Phil
Was the problem obvious? Or did you just get lucky replacing the right part.
Old 10-24-12, 06:31 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by schmoozer
Was the problem obvious? Or did you just get lucky replacing the right part.
In my case, I took the car to a garage and told them that I have a noise (thump) from the rear end when I go over bumps. Just like in your case, the noise would only happen when the rear wheels went over the bump, not the front.

The mechanic came with me for a drive as a passenger, kept his window open, and asked me to drive around so he can hear the sound. As soon as he dd, he told me the noise is coming from the front and not the back. I told him that he is wrong that it's from the back, but he just laughed.

We drove the car back to his garge, he lifted the car, poked around the front, and immediately determined thatt its the front torsion bar links. Changed them both, and problem gone.

The thing is, that he actually showed me that the links are defective before changing them. No guess work involved, and no parts were changed fo no reason.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 10-24-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 07:22 AM
schmoozer
Driver

Originally Posted by PFB
In my case, I took the car to a garage and told them that I have a noise (thump) from the rear end when I go over bumps. Just like in your case, the noise would only happen when the rear wheels went over the bump, not the front.

The mechanic came with me for a drive as a passenger, kept his window open, and asked me to drive around so he can hear the sound. As soon as he dd, he told me the noise is coming from the front and not the back. I told him that he is wrong that it's from the back, but he just laughed.

We drove the car back to his garge, he lifted the car, poked around the front, and immediately determined thatt its the front torsion bar links. Changed them both, and problem gone.

The thing is, that he actually showed me that the links are defective before changing them. No guess work involved, and no parts were changed fo no reason.

Phil
I'm glad it worked out so well. I wish I had a mechanic I trusted around here. When you say they were "defective", did you see any visible problems (cracking, etc), or were they just not the right fit for the job.

I poked my head under the car this morning and quickly saw a cracked bushing (or at least I think it's a bushing), not where I was expecting, but cracked nonetheless. I will take a picture later and maybe someone can identify it.
Old 10-24-12, 07:47 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Unless the problem is evident by looking at it, it is not possible to ascertain what the cause of the problem is without putting the car on a lift, letting the wheels hang loose, and probing and prodding at various components. Anything else is just expensive guess work.

Obviously first, one should start by makeing sure that there is nothing loose in the trunk, such as a loose jack or spare tire. Loose exhaust components, and heat shields should also be eliminated as a potential problem.

Once resolved, let us know what the problem turned out to be. It will help others here.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 10-24-12 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 08:42 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

For me, it was the rear trailing arm bushing:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...se-solved.html

Cheap and easy fix
Old 10-24-12, 09:14 AM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sway bar Bushings here.
Old 10-24-12, 09:27 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

lol 800$ in parts later, I still got creaking. Dont care anymore for swapping trailing arms and rear control arms
Old 10-24-12, 10:03 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just re-apply the bushing grease on the sway bar bushings.....
Old 10-24-12, 10:33 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

^ yeah... you're not supposed to grease those. Unless you have poly bushings [which are stiffer and make crazy noise] you leave them alone.

Grease breaks down the rubber quicker and doesn't 'solve' the creaking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone figured out the bed creaking noise from rear end?