ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 shakes at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-12, 07:20 AM
gtg302s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ES300 shakes at highway speeds

I have a 99 ES300 that I am having an interesting problem with that I haven't experienced with any other vehicle that I've had. When I get up to highway speeds, sometimes the car begins to shake. It feels like the shaking is coming from the front end of the car. This does not happen every time I am on the highway, but if I go more than 20 miles or so, it seems to happen most times. It begins as a subtle shake and then gets more violent. If I don't stop the car and continue driving, the shaking continues and gets worse. As soon as I touch the brakes, it gets much worse until the car comes to a stop (the wheel jerks from side to side). After stopping, it seems to be much better until I get on the highway and it eventually begins again. There seem to be no symptoms of the problem when I am not driving on the highway. The tires are in good shape (pretty new and balanced) and I recently had an alignment done. When I got the car last year, I replaced the knock sensors. I was thinking that maybe it was the sensors again, but I do not have a check engine light on. I put after-market rotors on the car prior to the issue and my mechanic said they still look OK. I thought a stuck caliper could have been the cause of the issue b/c the drivers side front brake pad was wearing much quicker than the passenger side. This did not fix the problem. What else should I look at? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thank you for your help!
Old 09-21-12, 01:58 PM
hzt30
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotate the front tires to the back and see if problem changes.
Old 09-21-12, 08:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Your condition sounds extremely dangerous. Have a mechanic look at all your suspension joints (tie rod ends, ball joints, LCA bushings). It has to be professionally diagnosed.
Old 09-21-12, 08:54 PM
Tac1sc
Driver

Try rotating your tires from L front to R rear then vice versa. If it gets any better but doesnt go away have your tires rebalanced if its still shaking, have the suspension cheked. If your rotors are stuck then youll smell it or if its rotor issue it will shake even on low speed but only when you apply the brakes.
Old 09-22-12, 06:20 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Your condition sounds extremely dangerous. Have a mechanic look at all your suspension joints (tie rod ends, ball joints, LCA bushings). It has to be professionally diagnosed.
+1. This doesn't sound safe. I would get it looked at ASAP.
Old 09-24-12, 12:26 PM
gtg302s
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your responses. The problem seems to be resolved now. Here is what we did:

1. Had mechanic check suspension parts. Everything looked OK. This made them want to then look at tire balancing and rotors.
2. Rotated/Balanced the tires
3. Turned the rotors

The car is now driving well. I must have been wrong about the tires/rotors prior to taking the vehicle in. Thank you all very much for helping me resolve this issue!
Old 09-26-12, 10:30 AM
285exp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gtg302s
I have a 99 ES300 that I am having an interesting problem with that I haven't experienced with any other vehicle that I've had. When I get up to highway speeds, sometimes the car begins to shake. It feels like the shaking is coming from the front end of the car. This does not happen every time I am on the highway, but if I go more than 20 miles or so, it seems to happen most times. It begins as a subtle shake and then gets more violent. If I don't stop the car and continue driving, the shaking continues and gets worse. As soon as I touch the brakes, it gets much worse until the car comes to a stop (the wheel jerks from side to side). After stopping, it seems to be much better until I get on the highway and it eventually begins again. There seem to be no symptoms of the problem when I am not driving on the highway. The tires are in good shape (pretty new and balanced) and I recently had an alignment done. When I got the car last year, I replaced the knock sensors. I was thinking that maybe it was the sensors again, but I do not have a check engine light on. I put after-market rotors on the car prior to the issue and my mechanic said they still look OK. I thought a stuck caliper could have been the cause of the issue b/c the drivers side front brake pad was wearing much quicker than the passenger side. This did not fix the problem. What else should I look at? Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thank you for your help!
I couldn't tell based on this whether you had replaced the suspect brake caliper or just replaced the rotors. If you don't replace the caliper, then this is going to happen again, trust me.